Salivation: The Bane of My Dream Life

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
deschainXIX

Salivation: The Bane of My Dream Life

Postby deschainXIX » 20 Aug 2015 00:39

I have reached my wit's end when it comes to Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming. It truly is a subtle art--I get hung up on the most trivial of errors. It's ironic that I called myself experienced in another thread, but have only experienced a WILD maybe ten or twelve times in my entire life. I intend on mastering it as soon as possible.

I have no problem with the basic logistics of inducing sleep paralysis; it's basically just relaxation meditation in a supine posture. I have no trouble resisting the various discomforts associated with falling asleep consciously--except for saliva build-up.

For a while I feared overtly acknowledging the problem (and to make a forum post is to acknowledge it on the highest level), because it seemed a vicious cycle of consciousness. My mouth would begin to collect saliva precisely because I dread the collection of saliva in my mouth. How can one ensure that one shirks consciousness of a certain phenomenon without becoming fully conscious of that phenomenon? It's like thinking to oneself, "Don't think about X"--but you just thought of X, and X is now drifting about in the pandemonium of your consciousness, whether you like it or not. What mental dexterity it must require! You tell yourself "Don't think about elephants!" but not only does the synthesis of this imperative sentence require the thought of elephants, but the actual mention of the word "elephants" in the internal monologue of the mind causes picture of elephants to explode on your retina.

Itches are endurable. It is easy to just think of something else and the itch promptly disappears without you having to move. But saliva pooling in the back of one's throat is a constant strain, one that is not alleviated unless you swallow, thus ruining all the progress you have made in shutting down your body and maintaining lucidity.

Does anyone here have any useful tips or tricks they use to deal with an unruly salivary gland? (It sound so absurd :lol: ). All the advice I've heard so far has been positively unhelpful. :D
Well said.

Summerlander

Re: Salivation: The Bane of My Dream Life

Postby Summerlander » 20 Aug 2015 01:39

A line of cocaine works a treat in keeping that throat sufficiently dry — at the mental behest of qui vive! :mrgreen:

Pardon my humour. I've just raked your post in a hybrid state of sleepiness and drunken stupor. (Had a little whiskey.) I haven't had that problem for years, but, now that you mention it, I might start having it again... :shock:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 20 Aug 2015 02:09

Ha! It was all a ruse to ruin your WILD attempts. :D
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Aug 2015 01:23

*Volleys the bane right back at deschainXIX. :twisted:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Mar 2016 02:04

I'm still struggling with my saliva and have yet to really get the hang of WILDs. Recently I came up with an ingenious idea--shove a rag down my throat! :D

I'm going to try it tonight. I'll place a cloth in my mouth to collect the inevitable build-up of saliva so that it doesn't build up in my throat and induce involuntary swallowing. Fingers crossed. As long as it doesn't interfere with my breathing, I don't see a reason it should fail.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 29 Mar 2016 02:14

Don't choke! :-D

Tu devias tentar cocaina, caralho! :twisted:

Skippy23000

Postby Skippy23000 » 29 Mar 2016 21:39

I always lay on my side. Laying on my back never worked for me.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 31 Mar 2016 18:16

I'm going to keep trying on my back, because the consensus among lucid dreaming pros seems to be that it's the best way. There is a minority who say on their side is best, and I'll try that eventually if my supine attempts continue to be fruitless.

But last night, I succeeded in imitating sleep paralysis no thanks to the shove-a-cloth-down-your-throat method. The cloth method so far has been unsuccessful, because, as I anticipated, it interfered with my breathing, the one thing that needs to be comfortable for WILD.

In a different attempt, I was more successful. I lied on my back, propped my head up with multiple pillows so that my neck was at a ninety degree angle, and put a pillow under my chin to keep my jaw shut. For some reason, I didn't have a problem with swallowing. I gradually lost contact with my body and felt the initial buzzing sensations associated with REM atonia. Then I had a vivid auditory hallucination, and those always jar me out of my zone. I heard someone standing by my bed whistling a happy tune, and I involuntarily jerked out of the paralysis. I wasn't freaked out. I'm not sure what happened, but I seem to jerk awake every time I have an auditory hallucination.

I'll try the same method for combating saliva and dry-throat tonight and report my results.

Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Apr 2016 01:45

You know how dentists put those little cotton balls between your teeth and cheeks on the sides of your mouth? That's worth a try if you have some cotton balls just tear them into small pieces and place a few in your cheeks.

Either do that or smoke some weed to get cotton mouth. ;)

But seriously it might just work and not impair your breathing.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

RobertForsythe

Postby RobertForsythe » 08 Apr 2016 05:05

deschainXIX wrote:I'm going to keep trying on my back, because the consensus among lucid dreaming pros seems to be that it's the best way. There is a minority who say on their side is best, and I'll try that eventually if my supine attempts continue to be fruitless.

I'll try the same method for combating saliva and dry-throat tonight and report my results.

I projected exclusively while laying on my back for the first one or two hundred times because I had read that it was the best position.

After a while I got curious and started trying while laying on my side. That works fine for me too.

I discovered early on that the obsession with minor body movements like finger twitches and especially 'swallowing' are not even a small impediment or distraction, anymore more than breathing.

I have projected consciousness hundreds of times in the last five years or so and I have come to the conclusion that there is a LOT of misinformation being spread around on this topic.
How I Project Consciousness In 15 Minutes Or Less & How You Can Too
by Robert Forsythe

Return to “For Beginners”