Failed dream objective problem

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Harry Potter

Failed dream objective problem

Postby Harry Potter » 23 Aug 2015 18:51

Yay! So two days after my second LD, I find myself dreaming again! However, it was a very uneventful LD. I was at this place that, using dream knowledge, I just somehow knew was a summer camp. I didn't really recognize the place so I decided I ought to do a reality check. Lo and behold, I'm breathing with my nose plugged! This time, I made sure to do some stabilization techniques that I had forgotten to do in past LDs. I shouted out loud, I'm dreaming! And I rubbed my hands together and felt the grass beneath my feet. I then recalled my dream objective and got to work. My objective was to go to Diagon Alley from Harry Potter and get a wand, and all the cool stuff etc. etc... My chosen method of transportation was to use a portkey (if you don't know what that is: a small sort object that could be anything that when you touch teleports you to the preset location). So I'm highly lucid for the first time in this grass field, and thinking that I need to find a portkey. I begin walking around, expecting to find some sort of something lying on the ground that I might use. I can't find anything, the grass field is endless now and there is nothing..... I think Darn this stinks how hard can it be. I'm losing lucidity now. I keep looking, my lucidity fading continuously. And then I've lost it completely, the dream fades. Very disappointing when I woke up.

So my question is how can I prevent this from happening again? I feel like I did everything correctly (atleast I think, although probably not), I solidified my lucidity, recalled my objective, and expected to find what I was looking for. How come I lost it then?

I'm so excited I managed to achieve lucidity so soon again for a beginner of only a month, but kind of disappointed I wasn't able to make much out of it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DILD's: 17

WILD's: 2

Current LD Goals: shapeshift (Probably my favorite thing to do), and jump off of a skyscraper

DataTunnel

Re: Failed dream objective problem

Postby DataTunnel » 26 Aug 2015 20:55

Harry Potter wrote:So my question is how can I prevent this from happening again? I feel like I did everything correctly (atleast I think, although probably not), I solidified my lucidity, recalled my objective, and expected to find what I was looking for. How come I lost it then?

I'm so excited I managed to achieve lucidity so soon again for a beginner of only a month, but kind of disappointed I wasn't able to make much out of it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

It seems like you may be putting too many steps in between you and your objective and your conscious mind is not able to keep up. Up to the dream stabilization, you're on the right track. Stabilization is super important for any lengthier lucid dream.

Now I understand you wanted to find a "portkey" to go to Diagon Alley and get a wand, presumably to do some magic stuff. That's three separate things you are trying to accomplish in the dream. Even accomplishing one goal in a dream is hard enough and for a beginner lucid dreamer, three steps is probably too much to shoot for, at least in the beginning. Personally, my first few lucid dreams were very short and very unfocussed, making it nearly impossible to even accomplish a singular simple goal, let alone a 3 step process/journey.

So what I'm saying is, simplify your goal until you're more advanced and you actually have the time/focus to accomplish a specific thing. Instead of finding a portkey, then going to Diagon Alley, getting the wand and then FINALLY doing some magic, try just imagining the wand in your hand. This saves you a portkey search and a trip. Better yet, don't even imagine the wand at all! Just do some magic without it. Remember, you're lucid and dreaming, all the power is yours.

I'm not trying to discourage you from living out your goal of actually getting the wand the way you wanted. Quite the contrary, I encourage you to keep trying, because ACTUALLY going on the journey to get the wand could be fun in itself and could yield an interesting unique result.

I'm just saying, a 3 step process like your describing may be too much for the half conscious lucid mind to handle at a beginner level of lucidity, even after stabilization. Always try and simplify and put as little as possible between you and your goal. Otherwise you will find yourself having a lot of half accomplished lucid dreams, which can be so FRUSTRATING :x

I promise if you keep yourself dedicated to lucid dreaming, you'll become focused enough in your dreams to do almost anything, including the wand journey. Just keep at it. In the mean time, you can cheat and just materialize the wand, and that's just fine :P Remember, there are levels to lucidity, and it takes a lot of practice to reach higher levels.

Also know, your mind is not always going to give you what you want. When you're getting frustrated and your lucidity is fading because you're looking for something specific (portkey) you're forgetting to focus on the amazingness of your current environment/state of being (grassy field). The subconscious may not always play along with what you want/expect, so sometimes it's best to just enjoy what you're currently doing and be open to it. Just observing and experiencing. The grassy field at the summer camp could've been just as enjoyable/important of an experience for you as the trip to get the wand.

taniaaust1

Re: Failed dream objective problem

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Aug 2015 19:15

I personally don't think there was anything wrong with that goal even for a beginner. I think you held your focus on your goal really well (esp for a beginner) and to me that says this goal was a fine one for you to have. Sometimes if we get lucky, things can just flow and we can achieve goals such as this no matter what the experience level.

The issue I think was rather that your subconsciousness just didn't want to be doing that. . Our subconsciousness can have rather different ideas to what we want to be doing even when it comes to really simple things so even if you'd done a simplier thing, it may or may not have worked out.

It isn't at all uncommon to fail at goals even for experienced LD people. I had several attempts at what sounds like a simple task .. the "what's in my pocket?" task as my subconsciousness just wouldn't cooperate and I'd find myself not wearing clothing with pockets when I went to see what was in one (and then just couldn't find clothes to put on in my size with pockets!).

I have issues flying cause my subconsciousness is against that. For quite a while I've been wanting to rob a bank in a LD but my subconsciousness hinders me every time.

You may want to consider trying a different goal(s) and coming back to this one at a later date when you subconsciousness may be more cooperative. I usually have more then one goal and if something is just being too difficult I'll try instead to do one of my others.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”