Becoming Lucid

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
RuneeX

Becoming Lucid

Postby RuneeX » 06 Sep 2015 10:37

Hello, I am a 17 year old boy and I have been trying to lucid dream on and off for about a month now. I have tried different methods such as the WILD technique and trying to become lucid whilst falling asleep and a little bit of "hypnosis" from the internet. My dream journal has become significantly more detailed and longer, and my dreams seem more vivid. But the trigger to waking up. I have not been able to do so yet, and I have read on some forums that it could take everything between 1 day and a month. Am I just impatient and too excited to try all of this? The one thing however I have not done, is meditate. Last night, I tried something on Youtube. (I'll leave a link at the bottom of this post) A woman talking very calmly about me having to imagine certain things and feel different parts of my body. At some points, it felt like I was about to fall asleep, and I had a weird and funny sensation in my arms and a little of that in my legs. But it seemed like I just all of a sudden Woke up. And I tried to go back to that stage I was in, but I couldn't. So I just rolled over to my side and just tried to sleep. I woke up this morning, and I have ZERO memory of my dream. Not even the slightest thing do I remember. If I should come up with my own theory as to why it has not happened to me yet, it would be that my mind is a mess. I had a really hard time on concentrating on just me in an empty space. Even just trying to imagine a tree was not possible. I will maybe try some meditating today if I get the time. I really hope anyone on this page is still active, and listening. I could use some advice. Thank you for reading this long post.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEQHexu3eA

Summerlander

Re: Becoming Lucid

Postby Summerlander » 08 Sep 2015 19:41

Everybody's minds are a mess, my friend. Don't worry. It is the natural condition of the human mind. A common misconception is that meditation is supposed to stop you from thinking. It's not. Meditation is just observing the contents of your mind even if that makes you aware of the mental maelstrom that it is. Realising that the mind is turbulent is already a step forwards.

You can sit comfortably and begin by relaxing and focusing on your breath. Eventually, you will notice that your mind is going nuts. Let the thoughts come and go---don't stop them! The goal is indeed to focus on the present where your perceptions and conceptions arise. You will tend to get lost in thought, but, every time you realise you do, let go of those thoughts and focus on your breath or something simple in reality, like an object that you can see.

The mind will tend to lead you astray but never see this as failure. The minute you realise you got lost in thought, just patiently bring your attention back your point of focus. This is already meditation. What will happen overtime is that you will be able to observe your thoughts with much more ease without being led astray. The periods of being lost will dwindle and your attention in the present will expand.

It's the same with lucid dreaming. If your lucid, you are not lost in the dream world. You observe it knowing exactly what it is.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Introduce Yourself”