I would need an advice

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jzsanjam

I would need an advice

Postby Jzsanjam » 13 Sep 2015 18:59

So hi everyone :) I'm a new member, and I'm quite new at lucid dreaming. I would need an advice(s). Today I dreamed that I'm at home.I realized that I'm dreaming and I said: „I am dreaming.” Then I started doing RC to gain conrol.I did a bunch of RCs but nothing happened(I plugged my nose, but I couldn't breathe just like in real life, my hand wouldn't go through my palm,...).And then my parents appeared and they said something like: You aren't dreaming or you can't control those dreams. I jumped of the window(yes it's funny, but it helps me to wake up when I have nightmares :D) and I tried to fly, but I couldn't. The problem is that I know that I'm dreaming, and I can do RCs but i just can't gain control and the RCs aren't working. That happened to me two times now. It's kinda annoying. Thanks for advices. Oh, and what should I be thinking about when I'm drifting to sleep?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Pareidolia

Re: I would need an advice

Postby Pareidolia » 20 Sep 2015 05:16

Hello,

I myself have never followed any kind of tutorials on how to get lucid dreams, it seems to come natural. The way I do it is I fully empty my mind. I don't concentrate or focus, I just relax and wait until my mind has stopped putting in more images and noises. If you've got a song stuck in your head, don't get grumpy, sit back and listen to it because the night is long and it lasts longer than you need it to. Enjoy it, let it replay itself a few times. It'll go away on its own. Don't focus or concentrate to get rid of it, just relax and let it slip. That's how I do it.
You need full co-operation of your environment, though. You don't want any input at all. No music or lights on. At some point, you should be so relaxed you feel bored and tired but it's satisfying. At this point, your mind will confront you with things or present you with things that make no sense. You'll hear mumbling, see blurry images (at this point you're about to fall asleep). Then grab focus of those images and sharpen your senses and try to understand what the noise is. This might go on for a few minutes but you'll feel more tired the longer it lasts. It'll feel like it's beckoning, let yourself draw closer to them and further away from reality.

You really don't need to check reality, forget about all that.
You just have to find balance within yourself. Know your mind and you will know what's real and what isn't.

Hope this helps.
Death to be a dignity, execution's lost philosophy. All my atrocities
come by way of reciprocity. And reason is treason.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Oct 2015 10:19

Jzsanjam wrote:So hi everyone :) I'm a new member, and I'm quite new at lucid dreaming. I would need an advice(s). Today I dreamed that I'm at home.I realized that I'm dreaming and I said: „I am dreaming.” Then I started doing RC to gain conrol.I did a bunch of RCs but nothing happened(I plugged my nose, but I couldn't breathe just like in real life, my hand wouldn't go through my palm,...).And then my parents appeared and they said something like: You aren't dreaming or you can't control those dreams.

Your post is a very good example of why I advise people to not reality check if they know already they are dreaming as there is always with reality checking a risk of failure and a reality check failure can end up leading someone who previously knew they were dreaming to thinking they aren't.

There is no reason to reality check if you know you are dreaming, the whole idea of reality checking is to work out if you are dreaming or not so if you already know you are, its not necessary (and carries the risk of convincing a person out of something they already knew).

If you know you are dreaming, just strongly grasp hold of the thought you are dreaming (don't let yourself forget it) and treat the dream like a dream (or otherwise you by reality checking, its feeding your subconsciousness with doubts of "maybe I aren't dreaming after all?" which is likely to lead to a failed reality check just like you experienced).

my parents appeared and they said something like: You aren't dreaming or you can't control those dreams. I jumped of the window(yes it's funny, but it helps me to wake up when I have nightmares :D) and I tried to fly, but I couldn't. The problem is that I know that I'm dreaming, and I can do RCs but i just can't gain control and the RCs aren't working

From what I can see you were in fact controlling this dream.. I assume jumping out of that window was a lucid dream choice you made? You wanted to do reality checking so tried to reality check eg plugged your nose etc.. this shows you were controlling yourself in the dream.

Occassionally people find they cant control a dream due to a very low level of lucidity eg they will find themselves going along with everything in the dream and don't even" try to do things they want/wanted to do" in the dream, their conscious thinking isn't even good enough to think of what they wish to do even though they have awareness they are dreaming.

The fact you couldn't fly, doesn't at all mean you weren't controlling the dream. Lucid dreaming is the combination of the subconscious mind and the conscious one, I personally believe that there is no such thing as a completely controlled LD as if you are doing that it would mean your subconscious mind is no longer creating the dream at all and rather what is going on there is someone is rather doing just visualization rather then having a LD.

Just like real life, things in a LD will go wrong or not how you are expecting... its all part of LD. Finding one fails at flying is very common in LD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jzsanjam

Postby Jzsanjam » 07 Oct 2015 16:09

Thank you for both answers :) It helped. I was lucid three times this week. You were correct taniaaust1, I don't have to do RC, I just know that I'm dreaming. I agree that mind can be your worst enemy at lucid dreaming. In fact, I got one step closer(I can fly now :D) but I have problems with changing places and with summoning people(Ex: If I want to summon,let's say Harry Potter, the character is somehow 'fake') Today I made some really big steps: I changed place(after one failure, and I started with something smaller) and I asked fake dream character why he doesn't act like a real one. So yes, thanks for answers and I will try to make small steps :)

Dreams are real while they last.

JasonGilmore

Postby JasonGilmore » 10 Oct 2015 11:03

Good to see you.

JasonGilmore

Postby JasonGilmore » 10 Oct 2015 11:07

hi,nice to meet you!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Oct 2015 16:08

Jzsanjam wrote:Thank you for both answers :) It helped. I was lucid three times this week. You were correct taniaaust1, I don't have to do RC, I just know that I'm dreaming. I agree that mind can be your worst enemy at lucid dreaming. In fact, I got one step closer(I can fly now :D) but I have problems with changing places and with summoning people(Ex: If I want to summon,let's say Harry Potter, the character is somehow 'fake')

He's fake to you as your own waking/thinking mind is getting the better of you as it knows it isn't the real harry potter. You need to try to make sure you don't at all dwell during the dream that it isn't the real harry potter (but at the same time not get lost in the dream.. its about keeping a balance.. so your DCs can be real like but not take over so you forget you are dreaming).

Convince yourself that your DCs can be extremely real like. Congrats on the flying :) , that can be very tough for some.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jzsanjam

Postby Jzsanjam » 12 Oct 2015 17:03

Thank you. I will surely try this when i'll have another LD!

Dreams are real while they last.

ilikelucidx

Postby ilikelucidx » 15 Oct 2015 21:05

Well, It Took Me A Long Time To Fly In My Dreams. I Would Check My Hands And See If I Have 5 Fingers Daily Because In Your Dreams, Your Hands Will Have 6, 3, 8 Fingers Or More Or Less. So When You Start Checking Your Hands Everyday, You Will Get Used To It And You Will Get So Used To It, You Will Be Doing It In Your Dreams. But Anyway To Fly, It Takes Practice Since Your Not Used To Flying In Real Life Because It's Impossible, So In Your Dreams You Can But You Have To Practice And Believe You Can. Sometimes When I Fly, I Swim Into The Air Like I'm Swimming In Water And Sometimes I Just Jump And Fly Like Superman Or Flap My Hands And If That Doesn't Work, Look Into The Sky In Your Dream And Say "Why Can't I Fly!" Or "This Is My Dream And I Believe I Can Fly!" :) :) If You Shout Into The Air "Why Can't I Fly!" You Might Get Help. In My One Dream, A Dream Person Helped Me Fly :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”