My story of lucid dreaming

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
KateCastle

My story of lucid dreaming

Postby KateCastle » 18 Sep 2015 03:20

Hello Everyone,

I’m Kate, and I’m 27 years old. I just recently discovered this forum and given that I’ve been lucid dreaming since I was about 8 years old, I figured I would share my story with you all about how I became a lucid dreamer. I think it makes for an interesting read at least, and I’ve never fully documented how it happened, so I’m also doing this for my own records. Here we go! (This will be long!)

As I said, I started lucid dreaming when I was about 8 years old, but it didn’t just happen out of nowhere. Starting at about 7 years old, I suffered often from very vivid terrifying nightmares. They were so awful that I would often wake up screaming or literally crying from fear. This would happen so often that I would refuse to go to bed without my parents. Around 8 years old the nightmares were still going strong, but this was becoming such a consistent thing that my mind slowly started realizing that these nightmares were dreams, while I was dreaming. I believe this was a crucial part of my life that led to the frequent lucid dreams I still have today. The sheer relentlessness of the nightmares, followed by inevitably waking up terrified became somewhat routine in my mind and ultimately led me to realizing that I was dreaming. It was also around this time that I realized pain doesn’t’ translate into dreams very well, thank goodness. Because of this realization, my weird little child mind decided that the best way to discern my dreams from reality was to pinch myself. If I pinched my arm, and it didn’t hurt, I was dreaming. This made the nightmares FAR less terrifying as a child, because I finally felt some kind of control. It was also equally comforting to wake up from a nightmare, pinch myself, feel the pain, and be able to confirm I was awake. It was a huge relief and comfort to finally be able to feel some control over my dreams rather than just being terrified to go to sleep.

When I was probly 10-11 years old, the nightmares finally started subsiding. They still came and went, but they had diminished enough that I could sleep alone now. But the beneficial residual effects of the nightmares, aka…lucid dreaming stayed with me. I would lucid dream very often, and I could do lots of things. My favorite thing to do was probably fly. It was also awesome to realize you’re dreaming and just walk outside and start exploring. I remember seeing vivid, beautiful landscapes stretched out before me for miles, just waiting to be explored.

Despite the coolness of lucid dreaming often, sometimes it had drawbacks. Since I was still young, it would freak me out sometimes when I’d realize I was dreaming, because it would make me feel stuck..like I’d never be able to wake up…(Inception anyone?). I’d often start lucid dreaming, get freaked out, and try to wake up, but be unable to. When I was about 14 years old, I figured out the most efficient way to wake myself up from a lucid dream, and I still use this method today. This might sound weird, but I jump on my head. It’s as if I’m jumping into a pool head first, but there’s no pool. I combined this with just thrashing around like crazy. It’s really about freaking your body out so much that you start waking up. Eventually with enough thrashing I can feel myself waking up and start to see my room. This is tricky, because if I’m not careful, this will lead right into sleep paralysis, given that my brain is not ready to wake up yet.

Speaking of sleep paralysis, this is another thing I started dealing with OFTEN during my teen years. It seemed to go hand in hand with the lucid dreaming. I won’t go into too much detail here, (I’d love to discuss it in detail in another thread) but I still deal with SP today. It still happens to me probly at least once a month. I’ve also experienced exploding head syndrome about 5 times during my life (another topic I’d like to discuss further). The last time was about 4 years ago.

Fast forward to today, I still lucid dream often, but I have so much less control. I’ve heard this is common as you get older. Usually when I start lucid dreaming, if I try to do anything to control or change the course of the dream, I will either wake up, or the dream will not cooperate at all. For instance, if I saw some really cute guy while I was lucid dreaming and tried to walk up to him and kiss him, the guy would turn into a cat or some inanimate object like a magazine…haha. I certainly can’t fly by will anymore. I haven’t been able to willingly fly since I was around 12 years old. Despite that I still lucid dream often. I’d say at least 50% of my dreams are lucid, but I usually can’t do anything out of the ordinary in them.

So anyway that’s the majority of my story. I’d love to hear any feedback. Has anyone had a similar experience with childhood nightmares turning into lucid dreaming? Anyone have a similar method to wake up from lucid dreaming? Any/all comments are welcome. I’d love to learn some techniques to gain back some control into my lucid dreams. Cheers!

Hayward

Re: My story of lucid dreaming

Postby Hayward » 23 Oct 2015 06:52

Hi Kate,

Although I have never really experienced lucid dreaming (as far as I know of), I too have really enjoyed flying in my dreams. One technique I have used is just before sleep, relax the whole body, clear your thoughts, and in your head repeat over and over what it is you want to do. When I first started this, I wanted to remember my dreams so I would say in my head "I will remember all of my dreams". Took a few nights of doing this and I was soon remembering many dreams each night. I tried this with flying and it worked some times but I think I was not focused enough. I really enjoy the fact that I have no idea what each dream will be....like watching a movie in a way. And just how wild, obscure, random they can be. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post as I too had nightmares when I was younger. I would not wake up crying but instead would be stuck in slow motion in my dreams. The harder I tried to move, the harder it would be for me to do so. This eventually ended and every once in a while, I will have what I think is SP. Maybe I'll post my most recent one here soon. As I thought about this, I have tried to see if I could just let my SP experience go thru it's course...without trying to wake. But I have them so rarely that it's hard to do much about them when it occurs. I am so frightened from not being able to move, speak, etc. that I can not help but want to escape that feeling.

I just joined here so hopefully you'll reply as I am curious if you figure out how to gain back your control of lucid dreaming. Cheers to you as well.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”