Lucid Dream States

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Agamemnon

Lucid Dream States

Postby Agamemnon » 20 Sep 2015 09:48

On the subject of lucid dreaming, which is what brought me to this forum, I would discuss a number of matters in this regard. This is a subject most intriguing to me and I would know more about it. For me a lucid dream is something quite rare in occurrence, but also very interesting. Most often they do not start out in this fashion. They seemingly take place without rhyme or reason. I will be going about my business and without warning something will happen within the recesses of my mind, I will stop, look around, and realize everything I behold is in fact a dream.

This particular realization is also most peculiar. At this point I will often do just about anything I desire because I know none of it is real. There will be no consequences to my actions and I often act in a manner I most certainly would not in the waking world. There is also something else in regards to lucid dreaming that I have come across that I would discuss as well. I do not know if this description is particularly accurate, or if a proper term applies.

There are times when I dream that seem... almost lucid. I will be in a dream state and while moving about I realize something isn't right. It is one of those situations where your surroundings do not seem proper, but cannot specifically pin point why that is. At this stage I am also not entirely conscious as it were, but there is a part of my mind that knows everything is not as it should be.

Pareidolia

Re: Lucid Dream States

Postby Pareidolia » 21 Sep 2015 00:47

Greetings,

In regards of your post, I feel obliged to tell you, lucid dreaming actually isn't healthy for you. Dreams are a way for your subconcious mind to sort and process things your concious mind would not. Hence why it's common to say to someone who is considering a difficult decision: "Why don't you sleep over it?" As your subconcious mind will process and sort things that is clouding your decisionmaking. Therefore, abusing the limitlessness of your lucid dreams to make adventures for yourself that seems abstract for your subconcious mind, will result in your mind not being able to process and sort what it needs to.
If dreaming lucidly, you must generally respect what your mind confronts you with. If things happen or appear, you must deal with them accordingly or it could result in your mind becoming clouded.
Consequences of going out of bounds are, for example; Waking up feeling tired, suffering from reduced productivity (Doing worse in school or at work), and in some cases, you can get insomnia.

Hope this helps.
Death to be a dignity, execution's lost philosophy. All my atrocities
come by way of reciprocity. And reason is treason.

Goodwill

Postby Goodwill » 21 Sep 2015 12:45

Agamemnon, as for Pareiolia's post, she is the only one I know with that perspective. There is more positive research an testimonys than there are negative. Your mind does sort things while you sleep. From Pareiolia's posts I gather she has negative experiences, has lucid dreams every other night and does not want to have them. She also doesn't want to stop them mid dream but has the ability to do so. I can't speak for her. Maybe it is unhealthy for her. For me who has an LD once a month I will say I'm in great mental and physical health. Maybe it's a moderation thing.

As for your last point. I've had those dreams where I can tell something is off but I don't make the connection. But I assume noticing something isn't right is a lot closer to making that connection than most of my dreams where everything is off and I don't even notice.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Pareidolia

Postby Pareidolia » 23 Sep 2015 01:38

Dear Goodwill,

I'm glad to see your comment was very respectful towards me even though you disagreed with me. So lots of love to you on that one.
But yes, even though I experience a lot of negativity through lucid dreaming because I experience them almost every night, I think you should be perfectly fine. For you it's like a "one off". It's the way I drink maybe 1 glass of wine each month, it's never going to have a negative impact on me because it just doesn't happen enough for it to be bad.
I'm glad you're tolerant of my perspective. That actually gives me hope for humanity. But of course you will know, too much of something will always be bad for you. Water is good for you but drink too much and you'll get bloodpoisoning. It goes on, I'm sure you'll see at which point having too much of something results in an unhealthy lifestyle.
So yes, even having too many lucid dreams will eventually impact you negatively. Some of my posts on these might be a little extreme, like how it can lay the roots for a wide variety of disorders and delusions. Lucid dreaming is in fact a "safe drug", I suppose, as some people see it. But a lot of people, even masters of lucid dreaming, should be perfectly safe to have lucid dreams because most of them won't be able to have them every night. But if you manage this, then just consume responsibly and you should be safe.

In all of my posts I try to point out NOT to let me discourage you. I only want to give people some clarity on lucid dreaming, so they can choose what they want and what's best for them as an individual. As Rebecca's articles will usually point out that certain techniques only work for certain people, that's completely true. Everyone is a different individual and some minds are more reluctant to have the negative side effects from lucid dreaming and some minds are strong enough to possibly never have any effects no matter how much they lucidly dream.

As for me, I never understood why I get more lucid dreams than vague dreams. I don't always like it but don't worry about me. It's grown on me. I think it might have something to do with my very vivid imagination which actually helps me as an artist.
Anyway, I seem to be going off-track here. So to say it briefly; Yes, there are negative side effects to lucid dreaming and No, you shouldn't worry about them because they only come when you have lucid dreams in excessive numbers and length.

I hope to share more about myself soon as a lucid dreamer because I mainly came on here to see if someone's experiencing the same I do, and to see how they deal with it. But so far, I seem to be an exception and I'm not sure if that's comforting or not...

Good night all,

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Sep 2015 09:12

Pareidolia is simply wrong. I've rebutted her arguments on her thread about lucid dreaming being unhealthy. Some strawman she's peddling here. Feast your eyes upon this: :-D

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16956

Goodwill wrote:Maybe it's a moderation thing.

You've hit the nail on the head! Moderation is the key when it comes to the practice of induction. (Who wants a mind preoccupied with methods, right?) The state itself is harmless. :-D

@pareidolia:

We may be tolerant of your animadversion of lucid dreaming and even encourage the opining of different perspectives ... always ... :mrgreen:

... but not without taking into account discrepancies and you best be well informed lest the content of what you affirm is met with criticism in our appreciation of your opinion. We can respect you but not necessarily what you propound. ;-)

Thus, I still maintain that the following statement is false:

Yes, there are negative side effects to lucid dreaming and No, you shouldn't worry about them because they only come when you have lucid dreams in excessive numbers and length.

You can have as many lucid dreams as you want! You may even have multiple, involuntary lucid dreams over a long period (I've had this on many occasions)! No harm will come to you. Nothing mental will befall you in the hybrid gamma state that begets lucid dreaming. 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pareidolia

Postby Pareidolia » 23 Sep 2015 16:39

I'm a girl so I'm always right. 8-)

You're a boy so you'll be blamed for everything. :lol:

This is a Wikipedia fact.

But with all seriousness. I get the information from my friends. My friends are lucid dreamers as well and they all know people who know people who know people. I get the information from personal experiences too.

So yes, some of my information will be a bit inaccurate. I try not to refer to the internet for information on this. But I do know that when you apply too much there'll always be negative. But I think we can all agree that moderation is the key.

Toodles! :P

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Sep 2015 21:50

Toodles! :mrgreen:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Oct 2015 11:01

Agamemnon wrote:
There are times when I dream that seem... almost lucid. I will be in a dream state and while moving about I realize something isn't right. It is one of those situations where your surroundings do not seem proper, but cannot specifically pin point why that is. At this stage I am also not entirely conscious as it were, but there is a part of my mind that knows everything is not as it should be.

That is where getting in the habit of reality checking can become handy so you would reality check at such times and gain LD awareness. Each of these is a lost opportunity for a LD.

As to the others posters comment about LD being unsafe.. there is a thread on that http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16956 . I think she's the only one here who is viewing it in a quite dangerous way.

Pareidolia wrote:So yes, even having too many lucid dreams will eventually impact you negatively. Some of my posts on these might be a little extreme, like how it can lay the roots for a wide variety of disorders and delusions. Lucid dreaming is in fact a "safe drug", I suppose, as some people see it. But a lot of people, even masters of lucid dreaming, should be perfectly safe to have lucid dreams because most of them won't be able to have them every night. But if you manage this, then just consume responsibly and you should be safe.

There are quite a few people at this forum who do LD every single night and have for many many years, some since childhood and they are older adults. It isn't true that "having to many lucid dreams will eventually impact you negatively". That can be the case for a very few, many experienced LD people do have LD most nights or every night.

Im fine with nightly LDs or even a couple of night, its only when I started having 6-8 a night, every night (all night.. I was aware from night to morning with no break at all in my waking consciousness) did it become any issue for me and then it wasn't very much of an issue as I then just left LD for a while as far was reading this stuff and wanting to do it and my LDs died down.

The issue in my case, the habit of maintaining full awareness when asleep.. only took a week to fix. (In fact many yogis aim for constant full awareness when asleep and they do not get issues with it).

You are pushing an issue which isn't common at all and people are very unlikely to ever have.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”