Am I doing the right thing?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
CookieMan833

Am I doing the right thing?

Postby CookieMan833 » 21 Sep 2015 19:45

As I'm writing this I have only been trying to lucid dream for about four days (but for impatient people like me it feels like 3 months!) and I wanted to check that I'm doing everything correctly in order to have a high success rate of having a lucid dream within a few weeks/months. Currently, I watch the subliminal dreaming videos almost every day, and try and do exactly what they say. Every time I look at my watch, even if I'm not thinking about lucid dreaming beforehand, a little bell goes off in my head saying "I think you should do a reality check!" so I cover my watch, look away, and look back, and the time hasn't changed. I also try pushing 2 fingers of my right hand through the palm of my left hand, and at the same time look around for anything weird (and try to make the nearest object turn purple.) Before I go to sleep, I am usually thinking about lucid dreaming, how when I get in (having three or four successes when I was younger before I forgot the skill) I will sit down feeling the nearest object, deliberately doing reality checks that go wrong such as the clock time changing, or my fingers going through my palm. Every morning when I wake up, I can only remember one dream (last night it was two but one faded while I was writing the other down), but I record it in my dream journal all the same. I'm usually quite brief, because I can never remember the details of the dream (although in my few lucid dreams, I managed to remember everything) . Am I doing everything correctly? Is there anything else that would improve my chances? Do you guys recommend anything? How much longer do you reckon I will have to wait before I experience my first lucid dream? Do I have a good first lucid dream goal? Anxious for feedback, and really excited for tonight. Thanks for all the help, Cookie ;)

Goodwill

Re: Am I doing the right thing?

Postby Goodwill » 21 Sep 2015 21:36

Reality checks haven't worked for me. I get that they are supposed to carry over but they don't seem to for me. Don't stop though after 4 days. What works for some don't work for others. My buddy has success with apple juice, not me though. I just make the connection during dreams that are in impossible settings or during reoccurring dreams. And sometimes if I focus before bed. But only when I'm well rested. If I wake up before 6 hours no chance which doesn't make sense because I have pulled it off during naps. I recently watched Insidious before bed with no intention of that helping but it did. I say keep at what your doing till it works but have a plan of what you want to do. Otherwise you'll realize your dreaming and have to suddenly think of something to do. So I always have my next goal ready even if it takes a month.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

CookieMan833

Postby CookieMan833 » 24 Sep 2015 19:49

Does anyone else have any ideas?

CookieMan833

Postby CookieMan833 » 29 Sep 2015 19:18

Does anyone have some ideas? I still have had no success...

CookieMan833

Postby CookieMan833 » 29 Sep 2015 19:19

Does anyone have some ideas? I still have had no success...

giaz99

Postby giaz99 » 30 Sep 2015 13:22

Hmm, the closest I've gotten to a lucid dream is that I noticed a train station was weird and made no sense. Instead of going lucid, the dream changed and I tried to do something stupid like shoot a bullet from my hand. Trust me, I didn't go lucid, it's just like my personality to subconsciously try to do something impossible without becoming aware...

Unfortunately, I was far more determined then you... I did like 2 types of reality checks every day (Pinching nose and trying to put my right hand through my left hand). I went to sleep at 8:00pm every day with no exceptions and wrote every little detail about my dreams when I woke up. Heck, I told my friends how excited I was about lucid dreaming for ages too, yet even after 2 months, no real success at all. I gave up here, the last entry in my dream journal is one of me getting chased by a police guard in a video game.

I wouldn't give up hope though, some are luckier then others after all. My dream recall improved a ridiculous amount though along with some of the most incredible dreams EVER so it definitely wasn't a waste of time. :)

You seem to be doing fine though, just stay consistent.
In short though, it could take months no matter how incredible or determined you are unfortunately. I'd like to note though, my dream recall at the time was horrible. I had to wake myself at night to even get 5% of a dream. Now my dream recall is incredible.

CookieMan833

Postby CookieMan833 » 02 Oct 2015 21:27

Update: My dream recall is somehow getting worse. I struggle to remember even one dream if I don't watch the subliminal videos. Also, I can never remember very much detail about the dream, and it's never really very long, as I usually wake up from it in the morning due to my body clock. Here's an example: This is my most recent dream that I remember, it happened on the night of the 30th: I have meet a guy at my school outside the assembly hall who has a little brother called Cameron. Cameron is holding a pink folder. Then Cameron's brother walks inside the assembly hall, and Cameron and I try to follow him but the door locked as he entered (it was probs on a latch). That's all I remember before I wake up. My reality checks are getting sloppy (although recently I've been picking them back up) but what I do seem to notice is that I never remember once doing the reality check in a dream (for me, the trigger is checking the time, and then I check the time again for my reality check). Can anyone suggest anything that would help, because I'm kind of getting desperate and rather fustrated with myself. I know I need to pick my reality checks back up, but does anyone have any other advice? Read my first post for details of what exactly I do. How can I improve dream recall and vividity? Is there a better reality check or trigger? Should my body clock be waking me up halfway through a dream? I am desperate for advice so please answer. Also, if you guys want records of the 3 lucid dreams I had about a year ago, when I had more success, check them out, they're quite fun,

Many thanks, and please answer soon

Cookie :D

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Oct 2015 02:13

One thing I suggest you do to improve your chances is to reality check when you wake up as well eg as you find it hard to remember your dreams, I'd suggest to do the reality check as soon as you've finished recording your dreams or otherwise they may be harder to remember if you do it before. There is always a chance you could be in a false awakening, these become more common when people are working at LD and you wouldn't want to miss one.

Also, seeing you are doing checking watch reality check, I'm wondering if you also do that in your dreams? If not, I strongly suggest you to link a reality check to something you already do do in your dreams to improve your chances of reality checking in a dream. eg I used to have a lot of going to the toilet dreams so whenever I went to the toilet was a great time for me to be doing reality checking. This is where your dream journal will come in handy in working out a common thing which appears in dreams but also in real life for you to do reality checks too.

This could be whenever you come across a certain person, enter a certain place, do a certain thing, see a certain thing etc.. just make sure you reality check to it EVERY TIME you experience it in real life so that the next time you dream it you will hopefully remember to reality check in this situation.

Rebecca (this sites owner) has said that most/many people have a LD in 30 days of trying to LD. You need to be patient as if you aren't relaxed over LD, it may become harder (some try to hard and this can screw up attempts or make the reality checks a chore etc so they end up giving up before they've given the whole thing a decent trial). What you are doing appears quite good but just add in checks when you wake up and attach a reality check to something you commonly dream about.

If you have no luck with adding these things in and things go on for another 3-4 weeks without success (its early in your LD attempts so there is no reason at this point to think that you wont have a LD in that time). I then suggest to do the WBTB method where you get up in middle of night, stay up for a time and then go back to bed and try to LD (for the ideal kind of times to do this, see the posts of others). Anyway before you go to disturbing your sleep... just add my two suggested additions.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

CookieMan833

Postby CookieMan833 » 08 Oct 2015 19:50

Interesting update! Here's last night's lucid dream exactly as it's written in my dream journal: "I'm in school. I'm in my form room, checking Instagram (I will now take the opportunity to point out that I only get 100 MB of data a month, and there is no wifi in my form room) and accepting follow requests, when suddenly, it hits, me, and I wonder, hang on a sec, this can't be right, as I begin to realise I'm lucid, I wake up, not out of shock, but just thanks to my body clock. Anyone got any tips? I've started being more serious on reality checks again....
(This post was from a week ago, I only just realized I accidentally pressed save draft rather than submit)
Update: Dream recall is getting better. For the first time today I recalled two dreams! No luck lucid though...

JasonGilmore

Postby JasonGilmore » 10 Oct 2015 11:06

Good to see you.

Return to “For Beginners”