MILD causes me to not sleep

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
mark33w

MILD causes me to not sleep

Postby mark33w » 21 Sep 2015 22:39

Hi,

This is my first post (other than my introduction)..so please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. I read the forum rules but you never know. That said, on to the question:

I have started dream journaling and set a chime on my phone to ensure that I do a reality check once an hour during the day time. Lastly, I'm also doing a MILD routine before bed. This is my humble start. I'm sure there are a ton of ways to try to induce lucidity but I have the opinion that many people try to do everything at once and get nowhere. I'm more of a slow and steady type so I'll stick with trying a few things at a time before moving on to other avenues.

My problem right now is related to the MILD routine I'm doing which is just the one off this website. I was somewhat familiar with MILD already as I read Dr. Laberge's book about 10 years ago...that said when I do MILD I often can't sleep afterwards. It's like it activates my brain too much during the visualization part...or maybe during the mneumonic part? I don't know. But afterwards I can't get to sleep. Any advice on this? Should I set a hard limit on how long I take? Any ideas on what has worked for some of you? Also, I usually fall asleep to white noise as it helps me ignore background noises that keep me up...should I change this out to something else when doing MILD?

Thanks!

Mark

Highlander

Re: MILD causes me to not sleep

Postby Highlander » 21 Sep 2015 23:22

My advice is not to try so hard. Do MILD just for a few minutes, then go to sleep. It might work. It worked for me on some nights.
Last edited by Highlander on 21 Sep 2015 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

mark33w

Postby mark33w » 21 Sep 2015 23:26

Thanks, dude! I'll give it a try!

/m

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Oct 2015 04:06

mark33w wrote: I'm sure there are a ton of ways to try to induce lucidity but I have the opinion that many people try to do everything at once and get nowhere. I'm more of a slow and steady type so I'll stick with trying a few things at a time before moving on to other avenues.

Often people need to be putting together things as in making their LD program to trigger them off. Leaving out some important LD triggers can cause LD failure eg if someone was just keeping a LD journal and doing reality checks and that was it and had no luck.. it would often be a mistake to go dismissing these things cause they aren't working. It often works better to fine tune whatever a person is doing and add in more things. Some people need to do far more then others to trigger off LDs.

What sometimes lets people down is rather poor techniques (many of the techniques have poor and good ways of doing them eg one can be doing reality checks but doing them poorly). This is where fine tuning whatever people are doing can become important for better success.

But yeah.. give a technique a good go with all the other things in place which give it the most likihood of working before dismissing something as being something which wont work for you. People who jump around with trying something for only a few days or sometimes just two weeks or just not long enough and then dismissing things, may miss finding things which really could work well for them.

My problem right now is related to the MILD routine I'm doing which is just the one off this website. I was somewhat familiar with MILD already as I read Dr. Laberge's book about 10 years ago...that said when I do MILD I often can't sleep afterwards. It's like it activates my brain too much during the visualization part...or maybe during the mneumonic part? I don't know. But afterwards I can't get to sleep.

For myself trying to go into a LD from a meditation state isnt a good thing at all. I can go into extremely deep timeless meditation states where I loose all feel of my physical body etc and stay in those ALL NIGHT with complete all night meditation awareness but have no dreaming go on at all so hence no chance of a LD.

Other LD techniques which activate my mind more are very bad for my LD as they affect me from going to sleep eg in my case visualization is bad for me as far as LD goes (that is unless I've just dropped out of a LD or just woken up and trying to visualise myself back into the dream to reenter it).

Should I set a hard limit on how long I take?

Yes definately set a limit. I set myself a limit of around 1hr to have a successful WILD, some others have 90min limits. Otherwise even if you did end up successful, you could end up creating a habit of it taking a very very long time to enter into a LD (if one is lucky) and that really isn't something one wouldn't want.

Also, I usually fall asleep to white noise as it helps me ignore background noises that keep me up...should I change this out to something else when doing MILD?

Thanks!

Mark

If white noise helps you to go to sleep and you are having trouble having a LD due to not being able to go to sleep.. do the white noise thing. The thing is though you need keep some awareness of your surroundings for a successful LD or how will you become aware you have entered in a dream if you aren't observant things have changed, its the picking up that something around one has changed which can often slam one into full LD awareness. You cant just block out everything if you want to successfully be going lucid. (that's why going into a LD from a mediation state don't work for me as though keeping conscious and staying "me" while meditating, I block out awareness of all my surroundings)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”