Sleeping Positions: Do they matter?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Dreamsweet

Sleeping Positions: Do they matter?

Postby Dreamsweet » 24 Sep 2015 16:25

So, I find it most comfortable when I get to sleep on my side, but the thought about how I slept occurred to me... Is there a proper way to sleep to help improve my lucid dreaming or the chances of lucid dreaming? Should I lay on my back, sleep on my left or right, etc?

Highlander

Re: Sleeping Positions: Do they matter?

Postby Highlander » 24 Sep 2015 19:30

I think about the position when i go to sleep. I think it matters. If i go to sleep in my most comfortable position, i sleep right away. It might be good for MILD (concentrating on being lucid when i dream). I do some "concentrating" and then i sleep.
But if i want to do WILD, i sleep in a position i'm not very comfortable with. This prevents me from falling asleep right away and gives some time for my body to go to sleep while i'm still aware.

Pareidolia

Postby Pareidolia » 25 Sep 2015 01:47

Sleeping on your side is recommended as this is healthier for your physical condition. Sleeping on your back or stomach has been proven to give you heart conditions. Has to do with your bloodcirculation. Look on the internet for more information.
Sleeping in an awkward or uncomfortable position can even induce nightmares.

So there ya go, sweet dreams.
Death to be a dignity, execution's lost philosophy. All my atrocities
come by way of reciprocity. And reason is treason.

Dreamsweet

Postby Dreamsweet » 25 Sep 2015 04:40

REALLY now? So it'll be better for my dreams AND my overall health to sleep on my side.... Alright, I'll do that from now on. Thanks!

Pareidolia

Postby Pareidolia » 25 Sep 2015 13:06

Yes, and to specify it even further, you should sleep on your right side, as you have more chance of getting nightmares while sleeping on your left side. If you sleep on your right side at all times, it should reduce the amount of nightmares you have to only happen occasionally.

Also, you'll find you wake up in a different position than in which you fell asleep, that is also good. Moving in your sleep is good for the condition of your spine. It can also help with breathing while asleep.
Death to be a dignity, execution's lost philosophy. All my atrocities
come by way of reciprocity. And reason is treason.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Sep 2015 22:00

You are right on this one, Pareidolia. It is certainly best to sleep on one's side.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Oct 2015 03:10

Dreamsweet wrote:So, I find it most comfortable when I get to sleep on my side, but the thought about how I slept occurred to me... Is there a proper way to sleep to help improve my lucid dreaming or the chances of lucid dreaming? Should I lay on my back, sleep on my left or right, etc?

As another has said, position can be important for many to have a LD. For myself if I'm doing WILD, I usually will do it on my back. Having a LD while laying on ones back is very common, that is probably cause it isn't the common sleeping position and when you break with your normal habit, it can also break the normal habit of just going falling into an unaware sleep. (If a person is normally a back sleeper, it would be suggested to sleep in a different position for them to break their normal just go to unaware sleep habit).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”