Hypnagogia?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
WImachinist

Hypnagogia?

Postby WImachinist » 25 Sep 2015 18:55

As a preface, I tend to have very vivid dreams but have only experienced lucidity a few times. The first time was a DILD and was brought about by my dream self pulling a fire alarm on the wall. Instead of an alarm sound, it was as if my subconscious started shouting "you are dreaming colton" Though in my excitement I quickly lost control. I've had dreams about being lucid while never becoming lucid. Recently I had another DILD though it wasnt very memorable nor vivid. Finding renewed interest in lucid dreaming, I've been trying many techniques to do so. Currently I have been taking naps in the afternoon when I'm tired. To start I listen to isochronic tones while repeating several mantras such as "I will Lucid Dream" , "I am in a dream" and "I am dreaming a vivid lucid dream" while lying perfectly still. Yesterday while doing so I believe I experienced hypnagogia for the first time. While repeating my mantras my mind drifted into a sort of daydream, and I began to fall asleep. Though a cue in my iso tones spiked and helped me regain focus, and I snapped out of my trance and regained total consciousness. All of a sudden it seemed very bright and my mind was full of fractal images swirling among a pool of muddled colors. My conscious mind focused an I began to think "by god this is hypnagogia! I'm going to go into a dream and become lucid soon!" but alas, I became overexcited and started to wake up from up and lost it all completely. I wound up falling asleep later but to no avail, not even any memorable dreams.

So in short, was I really on the brink of becoming lucid? How can I experience the hypnagogia again without simply falling asleep beforehand?

I am willing to listen to any and all suggestions. I so desperately desire to have a true lucid dream. If it's of any help, I want to have a lucid dream to try to communicate with my inner self and ask a few questions. I picture and visualize a very personal scene in my mind, but it is constructed from a real place and real memory. Should I instead create a purely fictional dreamscape?

taniaaust1

Re: Hypnagogia?

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Oct 2015 03:36

WImachinist wrote: So in short, was I really on the brink of becoming lucid?

It's hard to say, certainly your mind was relaxed enough. I tend to view seeing images outiide of my self as signalling Im on the brink of going into a full LD (though I usually WILD into one without noticing any of this (no warning, no SP, no HI etc, so one can be on the brink but not even aware one is). Images inside the head are common in relaxed meditation states.

How can I experience the hypnagogia again without simply falling asleep beforehand?

If you don't already so this.. try doing as you are doing in a position you do not usually sleep in eg laying on ones back is a common LD position. You also need to let your mind go to experience HI, so you may need to be asleep or almost asleep.

It sounds like you are on the right tract with things.

I picture and visualize a very personal scene in my mind, but it is constructed from a real place and real memory.

That's called visualisation rather then LD. Some can have vivid visualisation experiences during meditation states.

Should I instead create a purely fictional dreamscape?

What you need to be aware of is that if you don't want to just visualise.. you need to allow your mind to drift a bit. Holding onto strong visualisation is more likely to throw someone into a OBE state (into the real place they are thinking of) or actually can stop someone from entering into a sleep/dreaming state due to the mind staying too active. There is only a slight difference between a meditation state and a sleep state but a difference there all the same... that is why I cant say if you were close to having a LD from the experience you had or not.

You can imagine real or made up places to enter into a LD, its one WILD technique and it don't matter which if real or not but you need to let yourself fall asleep at same time if you are doing that. It's one of those things people need to play around with to see if that way works for them or not.. for some or many (I've no idea of the figures) it can keep the mind too active and cause just visualisation/meditation state. There is no right or wrong, it depends on what works for the individual.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”