My own dream theory... ?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
dreamerinmiami

My own dream theory... ?

Postby dreamerinmiami » 26 Sep 2015 23:22

Idk if this has been brought up here, Maybe it has. I believe there may be parallel universes so i was wondering maybe when we dream we become the subconscious of that particular reality. When we are awake maybe thats a dream for whatever subconscious shows up. Infinite universes can lead to us "visiting" and observing countless realities as the subconcious. When we become lucid there may be a way for lucidity to be possible in that reality and the subconscious takes over. For some universes this may be impossible so thats why we dont become lucid in some dreams. Lol may sound crazy but who knows. Either way makes for good convo imo

[ Post made via Android ] Image
What is your definition of reality?

Pareidolia

Re: My own dream theory... ?

Postby Pareidolia » 01 Oct 2015 00:44

Someone needs to summon Summerlander.

The guy who turns smugness into an artform.
Death to be a dignity, execution's lost philosophy. All my atrocities
come by way of reciprocity. And reason is treason.

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 01 Oct 2015 03:28

You dont like my post dont reply, simple :) kiss

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Oct 2015 08:11

It's a fancy idea. But it requires evidence to support it. What we do know: consciousness is a mystery; a multiverse is very probable; evidence suggests that dreams are generated by brains.

I liked your post but I also fancied the idea of pointing out why it is only hypothetical. Am I allowed to reply or do I also need to agree to qualify? :mrgreen:

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 01 Oct 2015 17:10

Summerlander wrote:It's a fancy idea. But it requires evidence to support it. What we do know: consciousness is a mystery; a multiverse is very probable; evidence suggests that dreams are generated by brains.

I liked your post but I also fancied the idea of pointing out why it is only hypothetical. Am I allowed to reply or do I also need to agree to qualify? :mrgreen:

Lol i dont mind people disagreeing. I respect anyone's opinion. Thank you for giving yours in a nice way.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Oct 2015 17:37

No worries. It could turn out that it's all dreaming. Even the brain in a vat scenario (or something like The Matrix) can't be ruled out yet. Who even knows what really happens at death. I must say, though, if there is more than meets the eye―where dreaming is concerned―I'll be very surprised! :-)

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Pareidolia

Postby Pareidolia » 05 Oct 2015 18:51

If you want to know what happens after death, just wait for someone to return from it to tell you about it!
Death to be a dignity, execution's lost philosophy. All my atrocities
come by way of reciprocity. And reason is treason.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Oct 2015 19:00

True. And the dead—with their dead, decayed or incinerated brains—have never told a tale. Hmmm, wonder why? :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Shoe

Postby Shoe » 19 Oct 2015 19:49

dreamerinmiami wrote: Either way makes for good convo imo

I think this kind of speculation is great. I can't say I agree with the details, but I do have ideas about consciousness and what we can learn about it in dreams. What I think is very clear about consciousness that we learn from dreams, is that on the level of daily life (also called "waking" consciousness, or just consciousness) we have a limited view. Lately, I have been even a little hesitant to use words like "subconscious" or "unconscious" when referring to the mind. The fact of the matter is that in dreams, there is a creative action taking place that goes beyond waking consciousness or ego consciousness. There are plenty of scenes and dream figures and events that take place in dreams that are obviously and undoubtedly not created by waking, ego. It suggests that the subconscious or unconscious is actually not "sub" or "un," but rather "co."

For Summerlander, I would actually challenge:
Summerlander wrote:evidence suggests that dreams are generated by brains.

I think it is quite clear that evidence suggests that dreams are associated with brains, the same way thoughts, emotions, consciousness is associated with brains.

But, let's back up to consciousness, as dreams are a component of consciousness. I am aware of no evidence at all that consciousness (or dreaming) is "generated" by brain - or in other words there is no evidence that the brain creates consciousness or dreams. In order for the brain to be the generator or creator of dreams and consciousness, the brain would have to always precede the latter. The fact of science to date is that most science draws conclusions that are all unfounded if you remove the assumptions that they are stacked upon. So for example, if you preconceive that matter is a primacy in our universe, then when you use physical tools to measure the physical phenomena of the brain, one concludes that thoughts, feelings, consciousness, etc, is a product of physical activity. However, if you do not make the aforementioned preconception, the specific conclusion that matter creates consciousness cannot be drawn. The only conclusion that could perhaps be drawn, is that there is some level of interrelation.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Oct 2015 02:36

I would say that the best and simplest evidentiary example--quite telling, really--is that a good blow to the head can render one unconscious. This observation implies that the source of the phenomenon has been hit and thus the 'transmission' of awareness--or the curious gestalt--is somehow interrupted. :mrgreen:

But I do like this hypothesis and it could turn out to be true: 'The only conclusion that could perhaps be drawn, is that there is some level of interrelation.' However, the interrelation would not explain consciousness nor the nature of matter for that matter. And it seems to me that consciousness is irreducible. Here's a link that lists some theories of consciousness, by the way:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16442

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”