I'm Shoe

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Shoe

I'm Shoe

Postby Shoe » 01 Oct 2015 18:26

Hello, dreamers,

Allow me to introduce myself.

My nickname is, Shoe, and I am new to the advent of dreaming consciously-on-purpose.

Just in case there are others of similar background, I'll mention that I am a Buddhist; my daytime meditation practice and the aspiration of being mindfully aware in all moments naturally had me stumbling upon dream yoga. After some reading and studying, I am now expanding my meditation practice into dream and sleep.

Over the past month, I have strengthened the dreaming practice. I became lucid for the first time (since a child - I remember having lucid dreams when young out of mere happenstance) after a few days of practice. And over the past 6 days I have had 6 lucid dreams.

I am thankful for the opportunity to get into this practice. I am doing well with finding lucidity in dream. My main curiosity, now, is wondering if anybody has any tips on prolonging the dreams, purposefully. Sometimes I have been able to stay in the lucid dream for about 10 or 20 minutes, and have managed to practice some dream yoga, object transforming, meditation, shadow integration, etc. However, sometimes, I inexplicably find myself in hypnopompia - not as a result of over-excitement either, as I usually feel natural and come when I recognize the dream as dream. For example, last night, I had one lucid dream, but it only lasted for a few seconds after lucidity. I recognized I was dreaming while hanging off the edge of an invisible bridge, and then decided to float upward. Before I reached the point where I could get my feet back on the ground, the dreamscape dissolved and I was looking into the black of hypnopompia. I have also found myself in hypnopompia when I close my dream body's eye; this has happened twice when the dream felt fairly stable. Anybody else have this experience?

If anyone has any tips or comments, please feel welcome to offer.

And thank you,
Shoe

SunTzu

Re: I'm Shoe

Postby SunTzu » 05 Oct 2015 12:04

Hi Shoe (I wonder where you got this name from?). You seem to have a pretty strong affinity for lucidity.
There are a few ways to extend lucidity. You can concentrate on a large object and make sure it stays stable, and this concentration can keep you awake. However, by the time we realise we are beginning to fall out of the dream state, it can often be too late too rely on something visual. We can then use our sense of touch to keep is entrenched in a dream by rubbing our hands together. I've also found that when the visuals begin to fade, I can also extend the dream by concentrating on a new landscape, which, if I've managed to stay dreaming, will become the new landscape.

By the way, what do you mean by shadow integration?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Oct 2015 01:54

A Buddhist who is interested in prolonging his lucid dreams, eh? Well, my dear Shoe, you're treading the right places! Have a read of this—I think it will definitely help you because it's right up your street:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.xcom/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16442

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

JasonGilmore

Postby JasonGilmore » 10 Oct 2015 11:02

Good to see you.

Shoe

Postby Shoe » 20 Oct 2015 18:09

Thanks to the three of you.

SunTzu,

My nickname has been Shoe almost as long as I can remember. I'm not exactly sure why, it is just something everyone started calling me when I was very young, perhaps 3 or 4 years old.

I do seem to work well with the dream practice, and although it might be too early to say there has been an improvement in the average length of my lucid dreams, I have been dreaming lucidly more frequently. In the first few weeks I only had 2 to 4 lucid dreams each week, and lately it has been getting closer to 1 per night on average. Still sometimes I have no lucid dreams on a particular night, but then some nights I'll have 2 or 3. So, on the average, the frequency of lucidity is increasing. Though, it is hard to say they last any longer than when I started. Some are longer, some are shorter. I have been able to increase my awareness to a certain extent by spinning in circles and together or simply stating out loud "carry on."

But, sometimes the dreamscape inexplicably vanishes. And sometimes it seems as if the dream itself has ejected me, in a sense. I'll give an example in a moment, as it can also serve as an example of shadow integration.

So, to respond to your question about shadow integration: I believe the psychologist Carl Jung coined the term. But, it also is in line with an ancient spiritual practice in the Bon and Tibetan Buddhist traditions called Chod. The basic idea is that aspects of our consciousness that we normally consider unwanted lurk around in our psyche, so to speak. And, rather than continue to run or push them away or fight them, we generate a compassionate response and thereby remove their negative power and reintegrate a part of ourselves. In dreams, many consider that nightmarish figures or situations often arise as a symbolic representation of this "shadow." So, the idea is to, rather than change the dream to something more pleasant or rather than fight, consciously elicit a distinctly different response and more compassionate behavior than our habitual responses would normally have us behaving.

So, an example: Two nights ago I was having a dream and the dream took a turn that made the feeling tone in the dream go from neutral to frightening. I was talking to a dream figure and, referring to someone she was dating, she said, "Ashley is acting strange." She said this in a very fearful tone, and I had the sense that this Ashley would be a frightful presence in the dream (I knew neither of these people in waking life - but they were familiar in the atmosphere of the dream). In this sense of fear, I became lucid. And so, I said aloud "Ashleyyy... where are youuu?" I went to the door leading out of the room where I was conversing with the frightened dream figure and opened the door. To my right, down a set of stairs, was a thick black fog. Straight ahead of me was a room that was dimly lit. I decided to peek inside the room and there was a baby lying alone on a bed that I recognized as Ashley (somehow). The baby was ugly and afraid. So, I picked up the baby and rubbed its hair and rocked it, kindly. As I did this, the frightfulness of the dream seemed to lift and then the dream ended.

So, there is an example of shadow integration. And it is also an example of feeling ejected from the dream. I was aware, and lucid as the dream ended and I ended up in the hypnopompic state - post dream. So, the ending of the dream did not feel like it was due to a lack of attention, or due to over excited or intense emotion (I was pretty calm - and certainly did not choose to wake up). It rather feels like the dream has nothing more to say to me, and then dissolves. I have numerous dreams that end like this.

I usually set a timer to wake me up after each sleep cycle (appr 90 min). I used to be woken up by the timer often. Now, I rarely make it to the end of the sleep cycle before the dream dissolves into hypnopompia and I become aware of my physical body and then wake up to write down the dream.

Perhaps, I just need more practice. And perhaps if I simply hang out in the empty space, a new dream will form, as is your experience. I have had this happen to me once, but perhaps if I try this technique more often, it will help lengthen dreams in general.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”