What Exactly was this?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Xavier

What Exactly was this?

Postby Xavier » 07 Oct 2015 19:05

I had a dream a few nights ago, and in it, I thought that I was for sure dreaming. So I did a reality check. But the reality check came up negative; it said that I wasn't dreaming! Why was that? Does anyone know what happened in that dream to make that so?

CookieMan833

Re: What Exactly was this?

Postby CookieMan833 » 08 Oct 2015 19:43

Ocassionaly reality checks can come up negative if you do them a lot, your brain just gets used to thinking, my fingers don't go through my palm, and your subconcious agrees, and therefore will not perform in a dream. That doesn't mean to say that if you do a lot of one type of reality check then it won't work in a dream, it's just a possiblity. The best way to get around this is more than one reality check. What I'm suprised you didn't do when you were dreaming is go, "I was so sure I was dreaming! Perhaps I should try a different reality check just in case." I know that's what I would have done!

Xavier

Postby Xavier » 08 Oct 2015 21:33

Thanks! I'll (hopefully) remember to do that next time!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Oct 2015 01:28

What kind of reality check was it? It may be time for you to review your dreams to look for other potential dream signs but I would recommend being more forceful with your current technique and doubtful of initial results. For instance, if you use a clock to see if the time is incomprehensible, you may want to try to control the numbers (or hands of the dream device) with your thoughts.

I also recommend Stephen LaBerge's Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide To Awakening in Your Dreams—I was just reading it to my kids before bedtime and the chapter I'm on eloquently mentions a solution to your problem! You'll find lots of strategies in his literature. Heck, buy the sequel to the aforementioned book.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Oct 2015 15:41

There can be quite a few different reasons for a failed reality check..

some suggestions to help prevent failures

1. Always do more then one kind of check

2. Never half heartively reality check.. always make sure you are open for it to show you are dreaming.

3. Don't do reality checking so much you are getting bored of doing them.

4. Your reality check method may have something wrong with it (I've seen some make their own checks up and they were checks which were almost sure to lead to failure as they didn't really know enough so had created bad reality checks).

5. A persons subconscious can be against a certain type of reality check (the check may be the expression of something the opposite of what the persons subconsciousness wants to express). Don't keep using one which has failed you before as it is more likely to fail again.

6. I personally suggest to people to do not do a reality check if you are sure you are dreaming.. as then doing the check is like expressing doubt and I've seen reality checks fail lots of people in this situation as they aren't trusting what they know. Lack of trust can easily lead to reality check failure...
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Xavier

Postby Xavier » 13 Oct 2015 19:02

These are all really good ideas. I should probably start taking note of similarities between dreams. And come up with more reliable reality checks. Minus the probably. Thanks!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”