Researchers develop a way to 'turn on' REM

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
James

Researchers develop a way to 'turn on' REM

Postby James » 16 Oct 2015 15:59

http://scienceyear.net/2015/10/16/dreams-turned-off-and-on-with-a-neural-switch/

Headline is a bit sensationalist, dreams are not guaranteed but it's easy to see applications of this. The first thing that comes to mind is not having to bother with waking up after ~six hours to WILD, but rather do it at the start of the night, assuming hormone levels etc don't affect the dreams themselves? I've forgotten but I'm rambling so [/post]

Discuss
Was it worth it?

Summerlander

Re: Researchers develop a way to 'turn on' REM

Postby Summerlander » 16 Oct 2015 23:12

Who would have thought that the medulla--a primordial region of the brain--is associated with the activation of REM sleep? But I guess cerebral interconnectedness shouldn't surprise us. The reasons for the development of REM are undoubtedly pertinent to the evolution of mammals. (Mice are very similar to us anyway.)

I also found the following passage interesting:

'The researchers also found that activating these brain cells while the mice were awake had no effect on wakefulness, but did make them eat more. In normal mice, these neurons — a subset of nerve cells that release the neurotransmitter gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA), and so are called GABAergic neurons — are most active during waking periods when the mice are eating or grooming, two highly pleasurable activities.'

No wonder people eat sometimes eat for comfort when they feel stressed and I'm beginning to understand why lucid dreaming can be so plesurable, too--hence the 'buzz' upon awakening. 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”