Background Noise

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Dreamsweet

Background Noise

Postby Dreamsweet » 20 Oct 2015 01:17

It's been a while since I last posted... I lost my drive for a while due to a change in medication, but I picked my drive back up. Now I'm more determined than ever... So now I have an important question:

What sort of noises should occur while I"m sleeping? I can't sleep in total silence, but I can't rest when there's too much noise either, so I try to keep it at a level medium. With that said, are there any particular sounds that induce Lucid dreaming? I've tried some songs I found on youtube which claim to help improve results, but nothing seemed to work.

Shoe

Re: Background Noise

Postby Shoe » 21 Oct 2015 16:25

Hi Dreamsweet:

Brainwave entrainment has hit-or-miss results from what I hear and from my own experience.

Perhaps for the sake of improving your ability to sleep, simply find a soothing audio track and don't worry about "lucid-dreaming tracks." Or get a lucid dreaming track that you find soothing to listen to and simply be okay with the fact that it may or may not work as effectively as you expect it to. Just find some ocean noises or rain, or whatever you find relaxing and then focus on other techniques for lucid dreaming instead of audio tracks that are supposed to do your induction for you.

Also, perhaps you might ask yourself: "why am I not able to sleep while the room is quiet?"

If the answer is because your thoughts run amok and disturb your relaxation, that fact alone may be an issue for your lucid dreaming. You may find that you have a better ability to have lucid dreams if you can purposefully relax your mind through other means/methods. For example: I find that if I am keeping myself awake with over-thinking, I will generally not have as many lucid dreams that night - or none at all.

Many people suggest to record what you sound like when you are sleeping and then mimic the way you breathe in your sleep as you try to fall asleep. You can focus on what it feels like to breathe this way to relax yourself. And when you find yourself getting drowsy, you can make a few quiet and helpful thoughts on purpose, for example "In my next dream, I will become lucid." You can repeat that thought occasionally as a means to keep from being swept up in over-thinking, or too many thoughts that run wild.

I have found this helpful, and you might as well.

seanEE

Postby seanEE » 21 Oct 2015 18:17

maybe you should get your meds checked by an other doctor, you should be able to sleep without background noise, i only say this because i know people that were on 10 tabs a day, and got them checked by the same doctor, and was taken off half of them, doctors have a tendency to over medicate.
''you must excuse my personality''

Dreamsweet

Postby Dreamsweet » 21 Oct 2015 19:43

Thank you both for your input. I'm not concerned about my dosage of medication as it is prescribed for me so that I can have less chaotic thoughts due to ADHD and OCD. I will, however take Shoe's advice and just try to find a track that makes me relaxed.

seanEE

Postby seanEE » 21 Oct 2015 20:33

I don't want to interfere in what really isn't my business, But a lot of people are miss diagnosed ADHD when in school, Tell a 6 year old to sit still for 8 hours a day combined with all those additives in sweets and you get ADHD, Or some thing very similar, This is just from personal experiences, Again I know nothing about your situation so if the pills help take them, but if they cause you bother Maybe try meditating, It will seem really silly at first, but it really can concentrate and silence your mind, if you do it right, the effects should last in your walking life, and it helps with lucid dreaming. :D

Of cours I'm not suggesting you should just stop taking them, but if your interested theres lots of doctors coming out saying its a made up disease. ''again if my comments are completely unrelated to your situation I'm sorry'' :oops:

http://meditationmag.com/meditation-psychology/meditation-cure-adhd/

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/family/item/17869-doctor-no-such-thing-as-adhd
''you must excuse my personality''

Dreamsweet

Postby Dreamsweet » 22 Oct 2015 00:52

Hah, while I do agree that medicating anyone at a young age just to stop them from squealing and acting like a child is ridiculous, in this case they weren't wrong. The change in medication, btw, was for anti-depressants and not for anything related to my ADHD.

But I'm getting off-topic. If there are any other opinions about sounds and their correlation to dreams, I'd like to hear it. If I'm concerned about the medication I'm taking and need to address it in order to properly lucid dream, I'll bring that up in a later topic.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 22 Oct 2015 04:20

To help with relaxation and sleep, I suggest the following (these audio products are also available in MP3) -

From Amazon -
"Super Sleep - Monroe Products - CD" - Hemisync
Sound only - no music or voice - (Also available from - monroeinstitute.org)

The sound is somewhat like white sound, but it also has a very subtle mix of binaural-beats and other frequencies. Very easy to listen to, unlike many other brands of "raw", binaural-beat recordings.
Best to use with stereo headphones. Years ago, when I was having sleep problems, this audio recording helped me a lot. The headphones tended to keep restricted to lying on my back. However, after a while I discovered that I could just play the sound very low using to room speakers built into an old portable "boom box" player.
The really weird thing is that, on several occasions, I had actually turned the player off some time during the night, but as i was waking up, I was distinctly dreaming the same sound I had gotten used to from the recording.
If you tend to have lucid dreams during the last 2 or 3 hours of sleep, you might be able to turn off the audio during that time.

Incidentally, after I changed to eating a healthier diet - a lot more veggies and fruit and a lot less processed and sugary, fatty, salty foods - my sleep problems disappeared.

Also check out website -
- Health Journeys - healthjourneys.com - Store
See guided imagery CDs and MPs
- Example - Relieve Stress" and "Healthful Sleep" - Click - "audio sample"

You can also web search article - "What Is Guided Imagery?" by Belleruth Naparstek - Health Journeys

Return to “For Beginners”