2 Questions about lucid dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Orion

2 Questions about lucid dream

Postby Orion » 22 Oct 2015 22:47

Good evening,
I've recently started to read about lucid dream, but I have two questions:
First: Is it normal if I dream of situations where I could become lucid but nothing happens? I have two examples:
I don't clearly remember, but I know had a dream about writing my dream journal and making reality check. However, I haven't became lucid that night.
Another night, I had a dream about a character I created in my drawings. The first thing I thought when I learned about lucid dream is that I would like to meet her and ask her to show me her world, which I've been having hard times drawing. I was with her, in a landscape close to what I was thinking about before falling asleep. However, nothing special happened, It was just weird like it often is.
Is it normal? Can I do anything special (except all the thing I'm already doing like reality check) to go lucid when I have thins kind of dreams?

My second question is: can I get paralyzed before I fall asleep?
Some techniques require to lay on your back and don't move a muscle. Some people say you can get paralyzed with this kind of techniques. I know it's not dangerous, but I often get scared when this happens. I never had hallucination, but I don't wanna try...
So, does this happens often? Can I do anything to prevent it?

Thanks by advance, please excuse me if I do some mistakes, English isn't my first language.
Have a good day/night everyone.

ThePurple

Re: 2 Questions about lucid dream

Postby ThePurple » 02 Nov 2015 04:31

To the first, it sounds like you may not be doing your reality checks carefully enough. These habits will not help you in the dream world if they are done mindlessly. The most important part of them is never assuming you're awake before you do it, always genuinely asking yourself "Am I awake or am I dreaming? What makes me so sure?" Pay complete attention to what you're doing, observe the details, and when you come to a conclusion, tell yourself what it is and what evidence it is based on. (e.g. "Because my hand looks normal and does not go through the table when I tell it to, I believe I am awake right now.")

For the second, focus on what you said, that sleep paralysis is not dangerous. Learn what it is, how it works, and try to remind yourself of this when it happens, instead of panicking and fighting it (which is what leads people to hallucinate). Remember that it is temporary and you can still control your mind (to escape your frozen body and enter a lucid dream) or your toes (to wake the rest of your body by wiggling them) even if the rest of you feels strange.

Return to “For Beginners”