Waking up when I question my dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
namedforthemoon

Waking up when I question my dream

Postby namedforthemoon » 31 Oct 2015 08:22

Hi all, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I think I have started to become lucid in a dream, because when I notice something odd in my dream or about my dream, I start to question that specific thing, but then I snap awake as soon as I question it.

For example, about two weeks ago I was falling asleep, and had a vision of a woman with blonde hair and feline features, wearing flowing shimmering blue robes. I thought to myself, "What the hell is that?!" and then snap, I'm awake again.

Last night I was dreaming that I was on a mission to find Jon Snow, but in the events of the quest, things changed and I found myself thinking that I needed to find a large grey cat. But then I stopped and said, "Wait, why am I looking for a grey cat? I thought I was supposed to find Jon Snow." and then I quickly returned to wakefulness.

How can I control this? Doing the finger through the hand thing or looking at watches or reading something in a dream doesn't work for me.

Merrick

Re: Waking up when I question my dream

Postby Merrick » 01 Nov 2015 22:02

I am on the same boat... sort of..

I have been trying to lucid dream for about 3 weeks now and my dream recalls getting better. dreams are getting more vivid.

So far I have had about 5 times when I would have the realization that I'm dreaming. I quickly remember to try and stabilize the dream by rubbing my hands or saying "IM DREAMING" or something but as soon as the thought of "this is a dream" comes on, I start waking up... So frustrating!

Another thing that frustrates me is that the vividness or dream recall of the moments of being aware that I'm dreaming are ALWAYS so fuzzy unlike you. This sucks because I can't remember what triggered the lucidity. I always just remember being aware that I'm dreaming and remembering to try to stabilize the dream but waking up instead.

nzslimeables

Postby nzslimeables » 05 Nov 2015 11:44

I think this happens to me as well o.O

I'm not entirely sure, but I think whenever I start realizing things aren't all right, I start waking up. For the last couple of mornings, I've been like "oh, is this a dream???" and then I'm awake. It's kind of annoying :l

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2015 14:38

Have a read of this as it might help:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164

Remember to explore and not to focus so much on the fear of waking up. Have an action plan ready and bear in mind that the first sensations of a sleeping body and a bed beneath you are most likely phantom no matter how real they feel. So get up instantly and experience your dream bedroom. ;-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Merrick

Postby Merrick » 06 Nov 2015 05:01

Summerlander wrote:Have a read of this as it might help:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164

I don't see how that thread on the link you posted has any relevance to this lol

Summerlander wrote:Remember to explore and not to focus so much on the fear of waking up. Have an action plan ready and bear in mind that the first sensations of a sleeping body and a bed beneath you are most likely phantom no matter how real they feel. So get up instantly and experience your dream bedroom. ;-)

So are you saying that as soon as I have that "Im dreaming realization" I should get up and explore my surroundings instead of "OK STABILIZE! DONT WAKE UP!"?

I'm not sure how to do that. Like literally the instant I realize I'm dreaming, I start waking up I think.

Just last night, it happened slightly differently though. I had the realization I was dreaming and yelled "I'm DREAMING" and then my whole body started getting tingly and then I started feeling like I'm waking up and then waddayaknow I woke up. The thing that's most frustrating is I never remember what I was dreaming or what my surroundings were whenever I get the lucid realization and wake up. If I did, I'd atleast know what triggered my lucidity.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Nov 2015 06:16

No, try to stabilise. Only get up if you feel that you are lying down. And read the whole thread--the topic is 'Carpe Somnia Mundi'--you will find answers specific to your problem there. Get a plan of action, too. ;-)

Also, if you're employing DILD, get to know your ordinary dreams so you know exactly what dream signs trigger lucidity.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Merrick

Postby Merrick » 06 Nov 2015 07:46

Summerlander wrote:No, try to stabilise. Only get up if you feel that you are lying down. And read the whole thread--the topic is 'Carpe Somnia Mundi'--you will find answers specific to your problem there. Get a plan of action, too. ;-)

Also, if you're employing DILD, get to know your ordinary dreams so you know exactly what dream signs trigger lucidity.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Okay I googled Carpe Somnia Mundi and found the thread by you lol. The URL you posted earlier was called "philosophical conundrum".

I'll give it a read right now and yeah the dream signs that are TRIGGERING the lucidity is difficult cause the memory around the lucidity is always VERY FUZZY. The only part of it I ever remember is the realization that I'm dreaming. Nothing about the surroundings or anything sensory.

Return to “For Beginners”