Afraid of opening my eyes

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
WeekendDreamer

Afraid of opening my eyes

Postby WeekendDreamer » 31 Oct 2015 17:32

Hi all,

I have been practicing with WILDing as of late and have a small issue I'd like to resolve. While laying still focusing on disassociating my mind from my body, I sometimes feel my eyelids try to open. I fight back by gently holding them closed. I am worried if I open my eyes I will gain back awareness and have to start all over. Does this happen to anyone else? Should I let my eyes open and look around to see if I'm in a dream? Or should I keep holding them shut?

jasmine2

Re: Afraid of opening my eyes

Postby jasmine2 » 31 Oct 2015 23:30

You don't mention how dark the room is.

My bedroom has a sky light, and even at night, there is fairly often enough light coming from the skylight to be distracting when I am trying to go to sleep. I considered buying a sleep mask, but never got around to it. Instead, my easy, cheap solution is to drape a black or dark blue sock over my eyes. I tend to sleep on one side or the other for long periods. The slight contact of my eye lashes on the sock makes it easier to keep my eyes closed when I'm drifting off to sleep.

This suggestion might help when you're practicing wake-initiated lucid dreaming.

WeekendDreamer

Re: Afraid of opening my eyes

Postby WeekendDreamer » 01 Nov 2015 18:58

The room is fairly dark. I have some light that finds its way in through the blinds. My concern is whether or not opening my eyes will disrupt the WILD or it could be that I'm dreaming and opening my eyes could make me lucid?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”