Has anyone tried Eye-Gazing with a dream Character?

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
DreamingDervish

Has anyone tried Eye-Gazing with a dream Character?

Postby DreamingDervish » 11 Dec 2015 14:33

Hi dreamers,

I've done a brief research on the web but couldn't find anything about anyone trying Eye-Gazing with a Dream Character. Since I only reach lucidity ocasionally and usually struggle with stabilizing my dream, I haven't been able to try it out myself yet... but I'd be interested to hear about some experiences.
For those, who haven't hear about Eye-Gazing, I would describe it as a meditation that can be done together with another person. You focus on your body and breath and keep gazing into eachother's left eyes. What may come up depends on the dynamics of your relationship and each of your emotional and mental states but may reveal very interesting things about your relationship. I would imagine it to be particularly interesting to try Eye Gazing if we consider our Dream Characters to be representations of our sub-conscious, and somehow as parts of our self.
What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone tried?

SunTzu

Re: Has anyone tried Eye-Gazing with a dream Character?

Postby SunTzu » 12 Dec 2015 14:13

Interesting.... 'Eye-Gazing' a DC is in reality looking into yourself.
I sometimes do something similar, where I look into friends and try to see their face as though I had never seen them before, as though they were strangers.
I may get around to trying this in a dream. Should I try it irl first?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DreamingDervish

Postby DreamingDervish » 14 Dec 2015 16:24

SunTzu wrote:Interesting.... 'Eye-Gazing' a DC is in reality looking into yourself.
I sometimes do something similar, where I look into friends and try to see their face as though I had never seen them before, as though they were strangers.
I may get around to trying this in a dream. Should I try it irl first?

Would be great if you tried it out in a dream. What would you try out in real life? Since you said you've already done eye-gazing with friends, I suppose you meant looking into yourself? I've tried that irl and it can be quite interesting what you find when you gaze into your eyes in a mirror.

Carter Blunt

Postby Carter Blunt » 08 Feb 2016 10:11

It won't work. What will happen is that person will start to change into an entirely different person, then they will dissolve into a hideous monster or a toothbrush. You can't meditate by staring at someone that refuses to be a solid object.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 10 Feb 2016 22:48

You can meditate in the lucid dream state and can certainly look at shape-shifting dream forms (initially dream people or otherwise). Meditation can simply be about observing and being aware of the contents of one's consciousness, i.e. the mind. Don't expect anything, of course; meditation isn't about invoking profound experiences or epiphanies (although one may stumble upon them in that state). Meditation can help you to stay focused (in the present moment) and aids knowing thyself. 8-)

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 04 Apr 2016 22:06

I tried eye-gazing with a dream character the other night, and they just ran away from me. Dream characters tend to be very afraid of me in lucid dreams... Most of them are either always running away from me or trying to combat me. I'm not sure why. :|
Well said.

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 08 Apr 2016 17:46

Because you have godly powers. 8-)

lucidity4life

Postby lucidity4life » 22 May 2016 16:46

yes there was this one dream character I was really interesting in making eye contact with. The reason why is because I had just become lucid and the level of excitement I was experiencing was at an all time high. Naturally, I wanted to interact with the lucid dream and dream characters were a perfect way to do that. Anyway, the character went out of its way to avoid eye contact with me. That's about it. Has anyone else experienced this and is it a common occurrence? I interact with a lot of dream characters.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 May 2016 17:15

I do remember having an out-of-body experience once, where I left my bedroom replica to chase a 'star' in dark space. Eventually I reached the bright object which was a luminous opening in the darkness that surrounded me. I went through the opening and emerged in a bustling city populated by interesting characters.

After speaking with a 'foreigner' (couldn't understand him), and then an old lady wearing a large hat, I ended up entering a house whose interior was very much like mine in real life. And there I found two weird, cartoon-like jesters. One of them embraced me while the other leered at me and gave me the heebie-jeebies. He seemed to see right through me, like he knew me better than I know myself, and for a moment I wondered if he was a sentient being like me---a real observer.

They seemed so real! When I woke up I decided to draw the experience. The relevant drawing---which I called 'Harlequins'---is in the art section of this forum. This, of course, is an example of the opposite to what you experienced, lucidity4life, as my dream character was deliberately gazing into my eyes and my inherent theory of mind made me wonder ...
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

PixelatedPixie

Postby PixelatedPixie » 13 Nov 2018 21:33

I couldn't resist posting to this older thread, because of the synchronicities I experienced in relation to it.

Last night, I read this thread, because it was interesting, but I had nothing to at the time to add to it. This morning, as I was going through my dream archive, I saw that on this very day of last year (11/13/17), I'd had such a dream wherein I was looking straight into the left eye of a dream character. The dream was not lucid or astral, though; it was just a regular dream. Here are the high points:

I titled the dream 'Gassing up His Eye.' For some reason, I was a gas station attendant. A man wanted gas/ petrol, so I went out to his car to fill his car with gas. As I was filling the tank I saw 'psychically' that I wasn't actually pouring the gas into his car (even though this is what it looked like physically) but instead somehow, I was pouring the gas into his left eye. Even though this was odd to me in the dream, 'I thought that this was actually the way it should be. As I was pouring the gas in, I saw that his eye was inflamed really badly. I guess I thought that the gas would soothe it or something. Afterward, I was conflicted about mentioning to him that I'd seen his eye like that. I decided to not tell him, because he'd come for the gas, and my ideas about his eye had nothing to do with what he'd come for. I thought he would think I was weird for bringing it up.'

Until I read this thread last night, I didn't know that there was a 'thing' about Left Eye Gazing. I, like the original poster, would think that the dream customer was just another aspect of myself. I think that I was able to look into this part of myself during the dream for a prolonged period of time, because I was not lucid in the dream. Perhaps, if I were lucid, the dream customer might have then morphed into something else or tried to avoid my gaze. It's like- we want to know ourselves, but there's that tiniest bit of unconscious fear that protects us from what we truly don't want to see. So, I think that if your dreaming mind knows that you're lucid, you will be 'protected' (at least, at first) from things that your conscious mind doesn't truly wish to know.

It seemed that I caught my dream character off guard by not being lucid but by simply recalling the 'regular' dream afterward and happening upon it in my journal a year later.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this from anyone, especially the previous posters in this thread (if they're still around).

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”