A Brick wall with Lucid Dreaming?

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
JonathanS223

A Brick wall with Lucid Dreaming?

Postby JonathanS223 » 15 Dec 2015 20:15

Hey all.

I have been experimenting with lucid dreaming for about 18 years on and off, but only the last two years have I really been trying to focus on and improve it. I have hit a few walls that I wanted to post and see if anyone has had experiences like this and/or possible solutions.

1) For me to enter a lucid dream is rare. So far from my journal 1 out of 30 I record turn out to be lucid. I am using the reality checks every day and I do 15 minute meditation every other day. I feel as if I have come up to a brick wall and I cannot seem to figure out how to get passed it.

2) When I do have a lucid dream, I am quite aware of it. I have been able to train myself to the point that when it starts I tell myself that it is a dream and that I am dreaming. Even knowing this, I have no control over the dream and it plays out like a normal one with me being fully aware of it. I have tried to tricks of improving lucidity by saying "clarity now!" or "increase lucidity!", but nothing happens. I've even gotten to the point to threaten my sub-conscious to cooperate, but nothing happens.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. :)

dragonster82

Re: A Brick wall with Lucid Dreaming?

Postby dragonster82 » 21 Dec 2015 03:14

Hello there,

Your second point is a very common thing. The thing about lucid dreaming is that although you know you are in a dream and wish to take command of it, your subconscious still refuses to believe that you have the strength and the will to actually control it.

So what I would first do if I were you is to actually go ahead and practise getting into the mindset that I can do this, instead of even trying to lucid dream. You need to get into the mindset of being in command and not have any doubts in your mind.

I have made a short video on how I think I can improve your lucid dreaming experience, but that is for you to speculate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-pDl516o4

Cheers,
Dragon

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 31 Dec 2015 15:30

Hey Jonathan!

Since you are able to become lucid in some of your dreams, I'm considering your first point to be taken care of. Just continue practicing that and you'll have them more often.

As for your second point tho, I haven't found that saying things like "clarity now!", or "more lucidity!" to be very helpful in my dreams, but it does seem to work for some people. I think this comes down to figuring out what works specifically for you.

I do have a couple suggestions for helping to gain control of a dream once you're lucid tho. If you have troubles doing anything besides "going along for the ride", try taking baby steps. Just moving your arm, hand or leg in a deliberate way helps.

Once you can move a limb or two deliberately, then try to pick something up intentionally. Alternatively, if your dream self seems to be heading in a direction, see if you can simply stop yourself from going that way. If you can't actually stop, then see if you can intentionally change the direction you're going, even incrementally.

If those work out well for you, step it up another notch by seeing if you can increase how fast you're moving by levitating off the ground a little bit as if you're riding a hoverboard.

Taking small steps like this increases your control of a dream without trying to take full control of it all at once. The next step would be trying to materialize things out of nothing. You might already do something like this if you actually end up on a hoverboard, but doing it intentionally is the goal.

These small things can increase your control bit by bit, until you're able to control most things in the dreamscape. Personally, I don't usually try to control everything in the dreamscape, I just control what I want to control and have fun with the narrative my subconscious is already running. If I don't like the narrative, then I'll force a scene change (by flying away, going thru a door, imagining some other place, etc).

Hope this helps! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

Azhidal

Postby Azhidal » 04 Jun 2016 04:32

brick wall, Yes and no, I would recommend instead meditating immediately before sleep or even laying down in bed and meditating until you naturally drift asleep, I do this every night and have gotten to the point where most of my dreams are lucid.

as for trying to control your dreams, you have to understand that dreams are constructs of the sub-conscious, and the sub conscious is by and large an emotional thing, its all of our primal, natural, and instinctual urges. dreams are just this mixed with our conscious interpretations given form, so doing something like threatening ur sub-conscious wont do anything because you are literally just threatening yourself. instead of forcing the changes 'feel' them and as you begin to understand what you want let it happen rather than try and force it.

also saying any old random thing in your dreams doesn't really help increase your control or awareness over the dream. instead these 'trigger words' should be something specific to you that you know you wouldn't say out loud IRL.

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Jun 2016 07:35

saying you want lucidly is one big step removed from requesting and firmly expecting it. If you use any real emotional strength in the dreamspace it will either get quickly out or random results. The SC is IMO program-ed by emotional input so its essential to know how get strong intent into a request without embedded emotion or it wont work
Just quietly work at it and it will all get easier in time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”