Brief images as I drift off to sleep...

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
shutterbugjen

Brief images as I drift off to sleep...

Postby shutterbugjen » 18 Dec 2015 16:31

Hello! I am wondering about the brief images that float through your mind as you first begin to drift off to sleep. For as long as I can remember, as I first start to fall asleep I'll see very brief glimpses of scenes, people, and sometimes I'll hear what sounds like someone reading an epic bedtime story to me. They are not lengthy, and it doesn't quite seem like a full-out dream. The instant I become aware of it, I snap back to waking consciousness. I'm usually deeply relaxed at this point but still aware of what is happening around me. Since I know that dreaming occurs in later sleep periods, I'm wondering what these are. From what I have read on Hypnagogic State, it seems that those are more likely to be abstract, swirling, images of light, whereas mine are not. For example, last night I saw a beach scene and there was a multitude of people walking under umbrellas, heading in the same direction. Then it was gone. I also saw myself playing a violin for the briefest of moments. Another time a man was gesturing to a village up on a hillside, telling me to go find "Mrs. Old's community records." I will say, though, that in this last of week of attempting to have a LD and practicing reality checks and dream journaling, these images I see as I first drift off to sleep are becoming much more vivid. I usually don't remember them the next day but now I am. Any ideas on what this is? Thank you!

Harry Potter

Re: Brief images as I drift off to sleep...

Postby Harry Potter » 18 Dec 2015 20:39

This happens to me as well. I'm not sure what it is called, but I totally get what you are talking about. Mine usually formulate into images and scenes as I drift off, and then all of a sudden something in the dream/imagery/whatever you call it causes me to snap out of it: this is either something hitting me in the dream, a loud sound in the dream, or something of that sort. I've never thought of it as a problem; it's more just my brain dealing with memories as it falls asleep. I'm not sure what causes me to jerk out of it though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DILD's: 17

WILD's: 2

Current LD Goals: shapeshift (Probably my favorite thing to do), and jump off of a skyscraper

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 19 Dec 2015 07:07

Oh, I don't think of it as a problem. :) I'm just wondering what it is and if it can help me on my journey to lucid dreaming. :) Glad to hear I'm not the only one though. Thanks for your reply!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ayaleon

Postby Ayaleon » 20 Dec 2015 04:29

Its known as Hypangogic imagery. Happens to most / all people before they fall asleep. I'm sure there are heaps of posts about it on this forum if you search for it

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”