Not sure if i had a Lucid dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Arcus

Not sure if i had a Lucid dream

Postby Arcus » 27 Dec 2015 13:39

Hello everyone!

So i really want to start having lucid dreams, and really only started doing RC's yesterday. Im planning on starting a dream journal, but dont have anything to write in that isnt full of physics. During my sleep i had one dream that really confused me. I dont recall it too well, but i'd like to ask if anyone had a similar experience.

So in the dream i am standing on.. nothing i believe, and all there really is, is a picture behind me. A really large but fairly simple image. Something like the background for internet meme's. Suddenly i realize i should do a reality check. So i pinch my nose shut and breathe. I dont recall if i actually managed to breathe, but in the dream i was sure i was able to, and realized i was in fact dreaming. The first thing i thought of was to stay calm, and i noticed the image in the dream started to fade away, but the fading slowed once i became calm. Then i tried to change the image, and it did change, but to something simple again. Like just the colours changed. After that i woke up..

So the reason i believe i was not lucid in this dream is because nothing "surged into focus", the dream wasnt really vivid, and i dont think i was very clear in my thinking. Lastly im pretty sure i would've changed the image a bit more than just the colours if i really wanted to test something. Sadly i dont remember it too well.

So did anyone have a similar experience? Or if someone could tell me whether i just had a lucid dream, or if i was dreaming about having a lucid dream? It would be pretty hilarious if i did a reality check and still got fooled :)

Thanks for all the help, and have a good day

shutterbugjen

Re: Not sure if i had a Lucid dream

Postby shutterbugjen » 27 Dec 2015 15:12

Hello Arcus! I'm new at this too, but from what you've said it sounds like you really had a lucid dream. You became aware, performed a reality check, & successfully changed something. Keep at it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 27 Dec 2015 15:27

The thing is, and maybe i forgot to mention it, i didnt feel any different after the reality check than before it. It like i was already aware it was a dream before i did the check. And because i didnt feel much change i dont believe i actually became lucid.

I hope someone can understand my gibberish xD

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 27 Dec 2015 15:47

Arcus wrote:It like i was already aware it was a dream before i did the check.

Awareness of the dream is a great indicator of lucidity. :) For me, in normal dreams I just carry on about my business with no clue that what I'm going on about isn't real.

If nothing else, I think you now have some good fodder for dream incubation. When you're going to bed tonight, as you get deeply relaxed, envision this dream, but imagine that you are TRULY lucid and plan out what you will do. Instead of changing the image, step through it to a dreamscape you'd like to visit. It may or may not work, but at least you've got a stepping stone to greater lucidity.

How is your dream recall for normal dreams? Perhaps the dream was vivid, but your recall is fuzzy?

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 27 Dec 2015 16:21

Arcus wrote:It like i was already aware it was a dream before i did the check.

Awareness of the dream is a great indicator of lucidity. :) For me, in normal dreams I just carry on about my business with no clue that what I'm going on about isn't real.

If nothing else, I think you now have some good fodder for dream incubation. When you're going to bed tonight, as you get deeply relaxed, envision this dream, but imagine that you are TRULY lucid and plan out what you will do. Instead of changing the image, step through it to a dreamscape you'd like to visit. It may or may not work, but at least you've got a stepping stone to greater lucidity.

shutterbugjen wrote:How is your dream recall for normal dreams? Perhaps the dream was vivid, but your recall is fuzzy?

To be honest, since i just started doing this yesterday its not too good. Usually i remember specific stuff about dreams, but not what happened in general. I made sure to remember this one though ^.^

As an example lets say i dream about being on a date with a girl i used to like. I wouldnt remember everything, but i could remember her saying one specific thing, or her doing one specific action rather than the whole dream. Kind of like remembering a general 'feeling' of the dream and a few details rather than the whole thing. Also, these details i remember are not always too important. Sometiems all i really remember very well (i mean have an image and everything of) is just a view or location that makes no sense.

When i get back home ill start keeping a journal to improve and train it. Looking forward to it. Oneiromancy seems like fun xD

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 28 Dec 2015 17:16

I think you'll start to see a difference once you begin dream journaling. I've always had fairly decent dream recall, but like you say, it's just a "feeling" of the dream and some basics. I've been journaling for two weeks now (since finding this website and forum) and I'm now remembering in detail 3-4 dreams a night. I'm remembering conversations which I never used to do. I've only had one lucid dream in all of this, but I'm trying to hang on to the fact that if nothing else, I'm remembering more and that in itself it pretty fun!

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 28 Dec 2015 22:16

Yeah, ill need to start doing that soon. Everyone says it helps so much, so im guessing it works, and it makes sense too.

On a side note, I've actually had a second lucid dream tonight. Another really short one, but this time im sure i became lucid. Im standing in a small cave. In the cave there is a digital clock. But it says the time is 2:86. The moment i see it, i realize its weird. I guess at that point i knew i was dreaming, but i decide to do the RC anyway. So i close my eyes, open them and the time is now 2:55. Since its different i know im dreaming. But the dream is still blurry, so i rub my hands together and i notice everything becoming more real. Then i turn around, and i see a snowy forest. Aaand i wake up after everything becoming blurry again.

At least im happy i became lucid, although it was very short. I have hopes ^.^

EDIT: maybe the time becoming 2:55 is my way of trying to make stuff go back to normal or something?

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 28 Dec 2015 23:10

That's awesome! You've given me hope that I'll be able to do this again, too!

That could be, about the time changing. Or it could be that your mind recognized 2:86 is not a valid time so it just switched to something that *is* an actual time but, who knows??

Elliot ussery

Postby Elliot ussery » 28 Dec 2015 23:37

dude I have also kind of had the same thing. i wake up and do not know if it was a lucid dream or just a dream about that. i have been writing a dream journal and that seems to make it more clear when you wake up so yea.

sorry i could not really help but its good to know that it happens to other beginners :D .

Return to “For Beginners”