Double Negative Reality Check In Dream: HELP!

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Mrs. Hiddleston

Double Negative Reality Check In Dream: HELP!

Postby Mrs. Hiddleston » 28 Dec 2015 19:40

Hi everyone reading, and I hope you've had a good day so far.

I'll get right to the point when I say that I've been trying to lucid dream for about... three years now, but have yet to have my first lucid dream. I've tried WBTB, DIELD, and I believe WILD in the past.
When it comes to reality checks, once in the past I tried setting an alarm clock for once every hour, but I would just turn the alarm off when it came time to do a RC and never did it. Starting about 2 weeks ago, I restarted the hourly RC's, but I do admit I sometimes forget to do them, but I do get a minimum of about 5-10 in a day.

Well, here's where the main idea comes in, a few days ago I was super tired and had just bought the Lucid Dreaming Fast Track and read half of Phase 2 (I'm on Christmas break and went to sleep around 3:00am) and I laid down for bed. I immediately fell asleep. Well, I remember the dream vividly:

I am in my mother's kitchen in our apartment, standing in front of out refrigerator. It is pure white and medium sized, like our real one is. I remember the space of the kitchen being smaller than normal, so while standing in front of the refrigerator, I do a reality check. I attempt to push my fingers through my palm. Nothing; the usual resistance. I pull my fingers back, then attempt it again. Once again, nothing. Then, I woke up, and I was physically and mentally frustrated.

When I do my RC's in real life, I generally do them like this: ask, 'am I dreaming?' Look around to verify where I'm at in my surroundings, then perform the finger & palm RC. I picture my fingers going through my palm in my head. Then, after about 5-10 seconds, I conclude with, 'no, I am awake, because if I was dreaming, my fingers would go through my palm.'

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong and what I could do to be more aware of my surroundings and stuff like that so I don't get a negative again? Even after reading a ton of articles and the lucid fast track about RC's, I still don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Thanks to those who read my struggle, and I hope you can help me!! :)
“Never give up on someone with a mental illness. When "I" is replaced by "We", illness becomes wellness.”
― Shannon L. Alder

shutterbugjen

Re: Double Negative Reality Check In Dream: HELP!

Postby shutterbugjen » 28 Dec 2015 23:14

Maybe try some different reality checks? In my first (and only) lucid dream, I started pushing my palms through my hand but then I got afraid that it would actually happen and it might hurt, so I stared at my hands instead. They looked strange and I was missing fingernails. Other RCs I've read about are trying to put your hand through a wall, or try to make yourself float. Good luck next time!
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Harry Potter

Postby Harry Potter » 30 Dec 2015 08:23

Trying another type of reality check is a good suggestion, but there is more you can do as well.

The reason you would consider doing another reality check is if the palm thing has become rote. If you do this reality check every time, it could potentially become mindless, and trying a new RC could combat that.

It does seem like your RCs may be a bit mindless; you assume that you're not dreaming because the RC failed. Besides considering the RC, ask yourself how you got there- basically, jog your memory.

Be as mindful as possible with your RCs. Making a habit of doing them is only the first step; doing them mindfully is the second. If it is enough of a habit that you perform an RC in a dream, then you've got the first part down.

Hopefully that is of some help. Congrats on performing an RC in a dream, also. That's some solid progress.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DILD's: 17

WILD's: 2

Current LD Goals: shapeshift (Probably my favorite thing to do), and jump off of a skyscraper

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 31 Dec 2015 15:02

The above suggestions are wonderful, and I recommend trying them.

As for the floating part, I suggest you try some visualizations (closing your eyes and visualizing) when you aren't doing an RC too. Visualize yourself performing the floating test and actually lifting off the ground. As you visualize this, do your best to include as many sensations as you can think of: the smell around you, the way your weight is relaxed when you lift, etc. This way when you perform a floating RC test, you can re-imagine the visualization of yourself actually floating off the ground each time.

Your subconscious will have a more difficult time trying to decide if you're just going-thru-the-motions (as the hand-pass seems to have become for you), or if you're actually wanting to float off the ground. This indecision will actually help, since your subconscious is more likely to try both options when you are dreaming just to "be on the safe side".

Mentally retracing your steps is also an excellent technique. It becomes less useful of a technique once you are lucid 5+ times per week, but once you get there other techniques become more useful, so it balances out.

You might also look around and find some words written somewhere that you can read (always changing what you are reading for each RC, even in waking life). If it's all jumbled, then you're either dreaming, or someone accidentally delivered a copy of the Mwanzo (Swahili newspaper) to your place. If you can read it just fine, then look away from it for a few seconds and then back to it. Does it still say the same thing? If it's changed you're dreaming, if it's the same you're probably awake.

When performing an RC, approach the check as tho you fully expect to be dreaming :!: Allow yourself to feel any disappointment when a check reveals that you're actually awake.

Finally, mix these tests up, and even combine them in various ways. The more unique you can make each check, the less likely your subconscious is going to perceive it as a rote exercise.

Hope this helps! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”