Can't remember my Dreams...

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
allijoyfly

Can't remember my Dreams...

Postby allijoyfly » 29 Dec 2015 17:02

Hi! My name is Alli. I have known about lucid dreaming for over two years, but I have only had 4 lucid dreams... that I can remember. So my problem is that recently I have been forgetting ALL of my dreams when I first wake up. I don't remember a single hair of a detail.
I know I have had more than four lucid dreams because I have had several mornings when I wake up and all I can remember is being in the dream and saying to myself "I am dreaming." I keep a dream journal, I have tried eating "dream foods," I have tried meditation, but nothing works. I just wake up with a mind blank of the dreams I had that night.
This has been going on for a few months now, and I want it to stop. Before I started forgetting my dreams, I remembered them extremely vividly (almost as vivid as a memory in real life). What are some ways I can make my dreams more vivid so that I can remember them? How can I remember the dreams I had earlier in the night (when I tend to have lucid dreams the most)? Why did my dream recalling abilities suddenly crash out of nowhere?

All answers are appreciated. Thanks!

Prince Demitri

Re: Can't remember my Dreams...

Postby Prince Demitri » 30 Dec 2015 22:09

Hey Alli!

In my experience, dream recall can wane from time to time. I think it may have to do with hormone shifts, but that's just a hypothesis for now. I used to think it was due to stress (high and/or low), but the data I gathered trashed that hypothesis rather completely.

One hypothesis I have heard concerns diet and exercise (both of which can also effect various hormone production levels), but the data I've gathered on "dream foods" so far hasn't been convincing. I'm still gathering data to see how the hormone hypothesis fares.

As for ways to help improve dream recall, my best suggestion is to train yourself to lay still when you first wake up and actively review your dreams. If you don't remember anything immediately, don't move (except for normal breathing, etc) and ask yourself, "What did I just dream?" either out loud or in your head (whichever way is more comfortable for you and considerate of others that may be around you).

Then be patient and wait for your subconscious to give you an answer. When you wait, you should be expecting an answer from your subconscious. The answer can come as sounds, words, pictures, smells, feelings, a combination of these, etc., so be vigilant for any possible answer you get. The answer usually wont be your dream itself, but rather something your subconscious thinks will help you to remember.

When you think you're getting an answer, dwell on it some to lend it strength and see if your dream recall returns to you. If it doesn't, or you don't notice any response after about 5 minutes, then try again the next time you wake up.

If you start to remember your dream, review as much of it as you can before moving. Once you think you've reviewed it enough to hold onto the memory long enough to get it in your dream journal, then you can move and do that (as well as make the routine trip to the bathroom ;) )

Continuing this (whether or not it works the first few times) will help train your subconscious to learn that you expect to remember your dreams.

Hope this helps!
If I can help any more, please let me know! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

allijoyfly

Postby allijoyfly » 31 Dec 2015 01:08

Prince Demitri wrote:Hey Alli!

In my experience, dream recall can wane from time to time. I think it may have to do with hormone shifts, but that's just a hypothesis for now. I used to think it was due to stress (high and/or low), but the data I gathered trashed that hypothesis rather completely.

One hypothesis I have heard concerns diet and exercise (both of which can also effect various hormone production levels), but the data I've gathered on "dream foods" so far hasn't been convincing. I'm still gathering data to see how the hormone hypothesis fares.

As for ways to help improve dream recall, my best suggestion is to train yourself to lay still when you first wake up and actively review your dreams. If you don't remember anything immediately, don't move (except for normal breathing, etc) and ask yourself, "What did I just dream?" either out loud or in your head (whichever way is more comfortable for you and considerate of others that may be around you).

Then be patient and wait for your subconscious to give you an answer. When you wait, you should be expecting an answer from your subconscious. The answer can come as sounds, words, pictures, smells, feelings, a combination of these, etc., so be vigilant for any possible answer you get. The answer usually wont be your dream itself, but rather something your subconscious thinks will help you to remember.

When you think you're getting an answer, dwell on it some to lend it strength and see if your dream recall returns to you. If it doesn't, or you don't notice any response after about 5 minutes, then try again the next time you wake up.

If you start to remember your dream, review as much of it as you can before moving. Once you think you've reviewed it enough to hold onto the memory long enough to get it in your dream journal, then you can move and do that (as well as make the routine trip to the bathroom ;) )

Continuing this (whether or not it works the first few times) will help train your subconscious to learn that you expect to remember your dreams.

Hope this helps!
If I can help any more, please let me know! 8-)

Thanks! I will definitely try that. I had one time where I kept getting weird memories coming back to me that I never remembered having (if that makes sense). There were weird feelings that came with them, too. They were pretty intense. Anyway, I will let you know if my dream recall improves.

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 31 Dec 2015 01:18

allijoyfly wrote:I had one time where I kept getting weird memories coming back to me that I never remembered having (if that makes sense). There were weird feelings that came with them, too. They were pretty intense.

I know what you mean. I've had some experiences that I would also describe that way.

allijoyfly wrote:Anyway, I will let you know if my dream recall improves.

I look forward to hearing how it goes (whether or not your dream recall improves).
Cheers! 8-)

allijoyfly

Postby allijoyfly » 05 Jan 2016 17:02

Prince Demitri wrote:
allijoyfly wrote:I had one time where I kept getting weird memories coming back to me that I never remembered having (if that makes sense). There were weird feelings that came with them, too. They were pretty intense.

I know what you mean. I've had some experiences that I would also describe that way.

allijoyfly wrote:Anyway, I will let you know if my dream recall improves.

I look forward to hearing how it goes (whether or not your dream recall improves).
Cheers! 8-)

Alright, here are my results (after doing what you said):

1st night: Remembered my dreams at first, but did not write them down in time.

2nd night: Same as first night

3rd night: remembered two full dreams and parts and pieces of another dream. I got them all written down

4th night: same as 3rd night... the full dreams were VERY strange and VERY vivid.

5th night: remembered 4 dreams. None of these were lucid, however.
-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
So I noticed in your signature, you mentioned that you have lucid dreams almost every night. How long did it take you to be able to do that? What method did you use to start being able to do that? Now that I can remember my dreams again, I am trying to have a FILD (finger induced lucid dream). Thanks again!

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 06 Jan 2016 01:06

That is definitely some solid progress my friend! Great to hear it!

One thing worth taking note of is that dream recall (and lucidity) tend to have cycles when they are easier and harder to have, stabilize, remember, etc. My current research is on testing the hypothesis that the cycles are linked with hormonal changes (still gathering data on this).

So if they do very well, then they start fading away again, don't despair or quit, just continue doing as you are now and when they come back (usually in about a week), they'll come even easier and even more vivid. Lucidity also becomes easier near the beginning of the "up" part of the cycle (when recall is great), especially when you've continued the practices I mentioned above during the "down" part of the cycle.

Now that I can remember my dreams again, I am trying to have a FILD (finger induced lucid dream).

I must admit that I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a FILD... Finger induced? :?
Can you explain that a bit?

So I noticed in your signature, you mentioned that you have lucid dreams almost every night. How long did it take you to be able to do that?

Umm... I honestly don't know. When I first started lucid dreaming, it wasn't something I had ever heard of before, nor had the people around me ever experienced what I was trying to describe to them. So for the first 3-5 years I was experimenting on my own.

I accidentally kept a dream journal due to being home schooled when I was young and keeping a journal was part of my writing practice. I didn't know what to write so my mom suggested that I write whatever I dream. Personally, I think she had a second motive for that since she was under the impression that dreams are a window into the mind, and that the subconscious mind can't lie... So I think she also wanted to use it as a way to keep tabs on my mental health while I was young.

I haven't stopped experimenting with dreaming, lucidity, and with different ways to use the dreamscape for practical purposes, since I began. I don't know when I started having regular lucid dreams tho, or when I started having them almost every night (tho as I said above, there's definite regular up/down cycles).

I do know that I was already dreaming lucidly on a regular basis (maybe 2-4 times a week) when I first discovered term "lucid dreaming". I remember that mostly because I was amazed to find that I wasn't the only one with the ability to intentionally explore the secret world of the dreamscape. I think I first heard the word "lucid" when I saw the 1984 movie "Dreamscape" (which I didn't see until well after it was released). Once I knew the term to look for, I started trying to find everything I could about the subject.

What method did you use to start being able to do that?

I think the method I came up with was keeping a regular dream journal, then choosing a dream target to think about and visualize as I fell asleep. As well as repeating to myself "Am I dreaming yet?" over and over and over as I passed out. I didn't really refine any techniques until later, even tho I tried lots of different stuff (I was 8 when I started lucid dreaming).

Cheers! 8-)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”