The best physics joke

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Arcus

The best physics joke

Postby Arcus » 30 Dec 2015 01:02

So this is the single most popular joke at my faculty.

Two electrons are sitting on a couch, watching Star wars. The original trilogy of course. Then a third electron comes, and asks:"hey guys, can I sit there too?" To which the other electrons answer in unison:" well of course not! Do we look like bosons to you?!"

Hahaha, funny isn't it xP

So we heard this joke way to many times, and everytime all physicists burst into laughter. Took me half a year to figure out the joke ^.^ we even have an electron bench at the faculty, where it isn't allowed to sit on it with more than 2 people :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Summerlander

Re: The best physics joke

Postby Summerlander » 30 Dec 2015 01:18

Because bozo is similar to boson, right? :mrgreen:

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 30 Dec 2015 01:21

I'm sorry summer, you tried xD I'll wait until tomorrow to explain it.

But for you as a hint, think about quantum states and the difference between bosons and fermions

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Dec 2015 01:30

Ok, I'll sleep on it! ;-)

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

gamestar01

Postby gamestar01 » 30 Dec 2015 08:40

I need three things: love, friendship and books. However, the three are interlinked! Hot love can enrich the contents of the book, the book is one of the most faithful friends.

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 30 Dec 2015 09:26

gamestar01 wrote:I need three things: love, friendship and books. However, the three are interlinked! Hot love can enrich the contents of the book, the book is one of the most faithful friends.

I completely agree, but I have to ask, is rsgoldfast for runescape?

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 30 Dec 2015 14:09

Arcus wrote:Two electrons are sitting on a couch, watching Star wars. The original trilogy of course. Then a third electron comes, and asks:"hey guys, can I sit there too?" To which the other electrons answer in unison:" well of course not! Do we look like bosons to you?!"

Explanation time :D :D

Is everyone exited yet? (probably not, but here we go anyways)

So all particles have a certain spin. this property sadly has no classical equivalent, so i cant explain it very well. Anyway, these spins can have the value of integers (0, 1, 2, 3, ...) or half-integers (0.5, 1.5, 2.5, ..). Bosons are particles with integer spin, Fermions are particles with half-integer spin. They actually differ quite a bit.
So now we get to the core of the joke. Electrons are Fermions, they have spin values +1/2 OR -1/2. Electrons (or other particles) confined in a potential (for example in an atom, or square well) arent at random energy levels within the confined area. Due to quantum mechanics they can only have specific energies. This energy level is the first quantum number (n). The second one is Angular Momentum (l), the third is the magnetic orbital quantum number (m) and the fourth is spin (s). These four numbers make up a particles quantum state. According to the Pauli Exclusion Principle only two fermions cannot be in the same quantum state. This means they can have the same n, l and m numbers but have to differ in spin.

That means for example in a carbon atom (8 electrons) that in the lowest energy state there can only two electrons (one with spin +1/2 and one with spin -1/2). This is because at the lowest energy state there is also only one possible l number and consequentially one possible m number. For higher energy states it gets a bit more complex (you also get l and m numbers), but the basic rule stands. No two electrons can occupy the exact same quantum state (in one potential system).

So the bench in the joke is a quantum state for the electron, and the third one isnt allowed to join, because quantum physics. The reason they say "do we look like bosons to you?!" is because the pauli exclusion principle only goes for fermions. Bosons can be in a Bose-Einstein condensate, which means they all have the same quantum state. So photons (s=1, therefore a boson) would welcome a third photon wanting to join! yay Photons!

So... To conclude: Fermions are asocial pricks. Bosons are nice social guys.

(and before anyone asks, yes, there is also a "two Photons are sitting on a bench watching Star Wars..." version)

Also, enjoy a picture of two electrons sitting on a bench.
Attachments
valleyforge_bench1.jpg
valleyforge_bench1.jpg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

SunTzu

Postby SunTzu » 07 Jan 2016 00:13

I assume this joke comes from electron pairing?

SunTzu

Postby SunTzu » 07 Jan 2016 00:16

I actually read your entire explanation, I would assume you would need a doctorate in quantum physics to appreciate the joke fully

Arcus

Postby Arcus » 07 Jan 2016 02:16

SunTzu wrote:I actually read your entire explanation, I would assume you would need a doctorate in quantum physics to appreciate the joke fully

Firstyears physics student will do xD

I think you are actually the only one to have read all that xD did you understand it?

Return to “Off-Topic”