Dream Themes

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Prince Demitri

Dream Themes

Postby Prince Demitri » 31 Dec 2015 00:13

For about 30 years now I've done a fair job at recording my dreams in a journal. Every once in a while I review some of them and look for patterns. About a year ago I came across my first dream journal (from when I was a preteen) in my mother's storage and found it fascinating to read over. But then I noticed something that truly shocked me.

About 5 years ago I discovered that I have a themed pattern to the dreams I don't actively control (whether or not I'm lucid). I thought the pattern had been a recent (as of about 5 years ago) development, but when I read my first DJ, I found the pattern goes back at least to my preteen self.

My uncontrolled dreams aren't always theme-based, but about half of them are. That theme?
Advanced/alien technology.

One of the most interesting things about this theme is that it's rarely been of any technology I've seen in movies, or on shows, or read in books, etc. (Tho some of them have started showing up in movies and TV shows over the past decade or so, tho always months or years after I had dreams about it.)

An example of some alien/advanced technology from one of my dreams (about a year ago) was a stone-carving knife that used a thin (like 1 or 2 atoms thick), curved energy blade that extended from the end of the handle when squeeze pressure was applied to the grip.

The blade end had a cross-bar on it that would be placed against the stone that was to be cut. Next the grip would be squeezed to get the blade to cut into the stone to the desired depth, and then pulled along the stone to make an extremely precise cut. The blade could cut into the stone with barely any resistance and glide thru it as easily as a regular blade would thru room temperature water.

In that dream I was an apprentice learning to use the stone carvers tool. It took an amazing amount of skill to use that tool properly, since any change in grip pressure would change the depth of the cut; and I was obviously not very skilled at using it yet. My cut lines were straight (mostly), but my depth wavered.

I still haven't seen or heard of this type of cutting tool anywhere in the waking world. This kind of technology (and many other things that are similarly unlike anything we have today; not even in movies, books, etc) are a part of at least half my uncontrolled dreams (and usually not the main focus of the dream).

Over the past year I've asked dozens of friends and family if they've had themes in their dreams, or if they've ever had dreams about alien/advanced technology. Many have had themes such as flying, or being in water, or chasing/being chased, or being lost... but so far only one has said they've had A (one) dream that had alien technology in it, but it was right after they had seen a space-based movie and were dreaming they were on board the alien spaceship trying to use the stuff there.

:?: Have you noticed any themes to your dreams? If so, what of?
:?: Have you had dreams of alien/advanced technology? If so, were they of tech from movies, books, etc?

(I'd like to make it clear that dream themes are not the same as recurring dreams, as they aren't repeats of a dream as much as they are an overall theme.

Thanks for any & all replies! 8-) )

Cheers!
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

shutterbugjen

Re: Dream Themes

Postby shutterbugjen » 31 Dec 2015 16:33

Great question! For my whole life I've experienced the theme of knowing that I had a particular task to do, or a place to be, but being unable to do it- not through lack of trying, but by being stopped by someone or something. This often would come in the form of being at a school for the first day of class, but not knowing which building my class was in, or who the teacher was. Now I see it as I'm trying to drive somewhere but the GPS stops working, or my car turns into a raft and I'm floating aimlessly on a waterway instead of driving on the road! (That was last night.)

I just read over my dream journal this morning. I only began recording my dreams in the last 3 weeks or so, and in slightly less than half of my dreams a red bicycle would make an appearance. I don't have a red bicycle, or any bicycle at all for that matter, so that's interesting! I'll have to start looking for red bicycles to use as a cue for lucidity!
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 31 Dec 2015 19:58

Thanks for the reply!

That red bicycle sounds like a dream sign alright. Good find! Now you can make a reality check every time you see a red bike and it'll increase your chances at becoming lucid again. :D

Cheers! 8-)

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 02 Jan 2016 02:29

Prince Demetri,
In your dream you seem to be concentrating on developing skill needed to cut into a stone (perhaps searching for its primordial, eternal, inner essence?)

I recommend -
- Article - "The Archetype Of The Self" by Tony Crisp - dreamhawk.com

At the beginning of the article is a list of various dream images (including "a strange stone or rock"), which may sometimes symbolize an individual's Higher Self -" ... the core of the self, that is at the same time the core of all existence."

Also, a portion of a dream is described in which, "I am climbing a tree to get to a stone ..."

Over the years, I've had several dreams about encountering UFOs or alien beings (strange but friendly), or finding magic objects. For instance - glowing gems in a deep, underground cave, or, an oblong silver container of mercury, which was emitting sparks of energy and produced a lovely, alluring sound.

These types of dreams have happened during periods when I was reading a lot about expanded states of consciousness, dream work, ESP, subtle energy, yoga, shamanism, Dzogchen Buddhism, and writings by Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, and Stanislav Grof.

And during psychotherapy, when I seemed to be coming to better terms with my life challenges, I dreamed that I saw a large stone partly hidden by bushes. A sword was protruding out of the top of the stone. I grabbed the sword and found that I had the strength to pull it out of the stone (like King Arthur!). I felt astonished, but then I waved the sword around and said, "Now what am I supposed to do?"

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 02 Jan 2016 12:33

Thanks for sharing Jasmine!

I was heavily into dream interpretation for close to 7 years. I finally came to some interesting revelations about dream interpretation and how useful it is/isn't for helping people understand meaning from their own dreams. I'll share them here, and then talk a little about what the stone in my stone cutting dream was about.
(I'll repost the dream interpretation part of this post in the forum section for dream interpretation as well, since that seems to be where the subject would fit best for reference and discussion purposes.)

:!: Notice to readers: Many of my views on dream interpretation may seem offensive to some people. To avoid taking offense when I'm not intending to be offensive, please keep in mind that I am only sharing my own revelations about the subject here, and not making a judgement on what anyone else does or should believe concerning the interpretations of dreams. Rather, I value all views as we (humanity) don't yet fully understand dreams, and therefore should explore all avenues and ideas to help understand them better.

:arrow: Revelation 1~
While dreaming is experienced by everyone, it is not fully understood by anyone. Our level of technological advancement has been steadily progressing to give us better tools to study the dreaming phenomenon, but they are still in their infancy compared to what we eventually hope to achieve. As a result, the study of dreams and dreaming has always been completely subjective to both the reporting dreamer, and anyone else evaluating the dreams.

:arrow: Revelation 2~
Dreams are always subjective to the dreamer. Since we currently have no way to study dreams empirically, we are limited to studying the subject thru the subjective experiences of the dreamer.

:arrow: Revelation 3~
Due to current limitations, any serious attempt to create a catalog or directory of meanings concerning dreams necessarily depends on popular/common subjective reports by the group of contributing dreamers. For this reason, all such directories could only apply to those who share their thoughts and understandings with the contributing reporters. If the dreamer seeking to understand the meanings of their dream symbols do not share the same thoughts and understandings of the contributing group, then the directory of meanings is useless to them.

:arrow: Revelation 4~
The meaning of dreams is influenced more by the emotions and focal points of the dreamer, than by anything else. Emotions are a larger key to understanding the meanings of dreams than symbology is. Second to emotions, is focal points (things within the dream which feel as tho they have more significant meaning to the dreamer than other things). Combining these two factors results in a more accurate understanding of any meanings a dream may have for the individual dreamer. The combination of these two factors concerning an object or action within a dream is what I call an "Emotional Focal Point" (EFP).

:arrow: Revelation 5~
Studying the meanings of dreams by identifying EFPs and evaluating the emotional impact of the overall dream on the individual, along with their current stresses and concerns in their waking life is far more meaningful and helpful (in a practical sense) to the individual than studying/applying common symbology. Pairing waking life events with focal points and emotions within dreams is magnitudes more effective in helping dreamers understand the meanings of their dreams than trying to use any catalog or directory of shared symbology from dreams. This has been demonstrated many times by serious study, and by my own personal study and experiences in helping others derive useful meaning from their dreams.

These revelations combined are not only my revelations, they have also been understood by serious researchers in the fields that deal with dreams and sleep. It's why dream interpretation books can be found all over the place, but aren't used in clinical practice by serious therapists or professional dream researchers (this is not to say there aren't many people out there making money by catering to the belief that symbology is of major importance to understanding the meanings of dreams; only that those who are actually moving the field of study closer to empirical and useful understandings about dreams, and what they may mean, don't use symbology as more than a curious aside to their research.)

That said, dream interpretation books are fun to read to get an idea of how contributors sharing a common way of thinking and understanding (those who share a similar culture, religion, political view, etc) view the world they live in. Viewed in this way, this type of resource can even be useful when studying the anthropology of different people and places.

I understand that these revelations and my understanding of them are not likely to make me very popular with those who believe in, and love the idea of, symbology holding great meaning for dreams. That said, my purpose here is to advance the field of understanding and experiencing dreams, finding practical uses for dreaming and manipulating the dreamscape, and uncovering what dreams actually mean at the individual level as opposed to compiling cultural similarities, or studying the social significance of certain symbols common to groups of like-minded people.

So my conclusion is that dream symbology can be very useful for those seeking to study the broad social understandings of groups, but are far less useful for individuals unless they share those specific understandings.

When it comes to my stone cutting dream, the stone was not an EFP for my dream. The focal point was on developing skill with the cutting tool, as well as the cutting tool itself. I had no emotions involving the stone itself, tho I did have emotions (respect and awe for those who had mastered the skill of the cutting tool, and humility of my own skill level by comparison) about the process of developing the skill and being an apprentice to a master stone carver.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts about what the symbolic meaning of the stone could be from your perspective, but I don't think it applies to me as I am unlikely to share the thoughts and understandings of the contributing group reporting the significance of stones in their dreams, nor was the stone itself an important part of my dream.

I look forward to any comments (positive or negative) anyone might have about this, and hope they might lead to productive discussions about the topic.

Cheers! 8-)

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 03 Jan 2016 22:29

Very well said, PD. I have always felt skeptical of dream dictionaries and interpretations, especially when the interpretation of a symbol comes from a source that is significantly removed from my own experience/culture/religion/era. I fail to see how my subconscious, which is limited to the experiences that this physical body has carried around, would be aware of symbols of which I have no firsthand experience. (Although I suppose that point could be up for debate as well should I choose to pursue that line of thinking... but today is not that day.)

On the other hand, I think that there are many dream "cliches" or fairly common images seen among dreamers-- finding oneself naked in public, teeth falling out, being late for something-- but again, our interpretation of those dreams is based on our own culture and experience. I don't imagine an individual living in an aboriginal, or more primitive community would have anxiety dreams in which they appear naked in front of others! Still, every now and then if I have a dream that completely confuses me, I have been known to look up a dream symbol website for some possible clue.
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

SunTzu

Postby SunTzu » 05 Jan 2016 01:51

I think the best dream interpreter is yourself. Nobody else can really understand your subconscious well enough to interpret your dreams properly. As shutter said, there are some cliches and shared experiences, but not many dreams are cliched at all!

As for dream themes, I often talk to friends in dreams, but otherwise I haven't really identified any patterns (I bet I do have patterns, even if I haven't spotted them yet).

I've had a few dreams about aliens, but I've never actually been able to find or see them! In one dream, aliens attacked a space station I was on, but they set off a nuclear chain reaction in our space station before they boarded, which forced us too all evacuate (very emotional since we were evacuating in different pods and I wasn't sure if I'd ever see my brother again).
I'll need to find the aliens sometime, really interested to see how my subconscious imagines them!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”