Dream journal question

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Arcus

Dream journal question

Postby Arcus » 31 Dec 2015 09:42

Hello everyone,

So I finally got something to write in and wanted to start a dream journal. And I encountered a slight problem. I went to sleep at about 11 (to bed at 10) and woke up at 4:45 am, and had dreamed a dream I remembered. I wondered if I should write it down immediately or not. I decided not to, because I was pretty tired. When I woke up again at about 9:30 I forgot most of the dream..

So should I write down a dream immediately after I wake up from it? or just do it in the morning and if I forget part of it so be it?

Thanks for the help!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Prince Demitri

Re: Dream journal question

Postby Prince Demitri » 31 Dec 2015 14:35

My suggestion:

:arrow: When you wake up from dreaming, stay as still as you can and mentally review your dream in as much detail as you can before moving.

:arrow: Once you feel you've got it remembered well enough, write it down (I do this on my computer as I can type much faster than I can write by hand, but do whatever works best for you and is within your capabilities).

:arrow: If it's the middle of your night and you're not done sleeping yet, then head back to bed. Otherwise, do a few (5-6) minutes of positive meditation reflecting on the things you like about yourself, those around you, the world, and how you'd like your day to go, then head to the bathroom and let your awesome day begin!

Cheers! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 31 Dec 2015 16:44

Hi Arcus! I don't like to write down dreams if it's still the middle of the night, as I feel the light will wake me up and I won't be able to go back to sleep, so here is what I do. I lie still, concentrate on the dream, and come up with a few key words to help jog my memory for when I'm ready to sit up and write the dreams. I'll repeat these words over and over to myself, and so far, that has been enough to help me remember them fully in the morning. (For example, I also woke up around 5:00 this morning from a dream. It was a very detailed one that I was afraid I'd forget. I thought about the major parts of the dream, and recited the following to myself- Julie...mountain...water...singing.) When I woke up I was able to write a 2-page description of what turned out to be a very interesting dream!
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 03 Jan 2016 03:47

If I wake up and remember at least a portion of a dream, I try to just quickly scribble down a few words or phrases describing something in the dream (on any old scrap of paper). Then, later on, this can often trigger memory of more dream details, when I have time to record the dream in my dream journal.

I don't want to get too awake by turning on the room light in the middle of the night, so it's helpful to keep a small flash or night light at bedside, so the scribbles don't end up on top of each other.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”