Bizarre sensation of spinning while falling asleep

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
shutterbugjen

Bizarre sensation of spinning while falling asleep

Postby shutterbugjen » 06 Jan 2016 00:59

I had a very strange experience this afternoon and I'd love to hear opinions on it. I was actually able to take an afternoon nap today (this is a very rare occurrence!) and as I was slowly drifting off to sleep, my hypnagogia intensified significantly. Usually I hardly notice it, or it just seems like a sensation of movement or interruption of light in the room where I am, but today it exploded into bright colors and recognizable shapes. Then I felt a sensation of warmth through my entire body. My limbs went almost numb. I don't believe it was sleep paralysis as I felt I *could* move at any time if I wanted to. Then I had the sensation of falling and spinning simultaneously. It almost was like the sensation when you are going down a water slide on a raft, and you swing up and down the sides of the tube while you are going down. As soon as I became aware of this, I started to get excited because I thought I was *finally* catching myself falling asleep and could result in a WILD!! My heart started beating harder out of excitement, and that was enough to thoroughly RUIN what I felt for sure would have been an amazing lucid dream. Alas, I could not return to sleep and repeat the experience, but oh my goodness it was a crazy experience. The weirdest part of it was it didn't make me dizzy, as spinning typically does. I felt a similar anticipation as when on a roller coaster, about to take the first drop, gripping the safety bar screaming "HERE IT COMES!!!"

Does anyone know what that falling/spinning thing was all about?
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Prince Demitri

Re: Bizarre sensation of spinning while falling asleep

Postby Prince Demitri » 06 Jan 2016 01:33

I hate that feeling personally. I've always called it "vertigo". It's the main reason why I don't ever fall asleep while laying on my back, as that's a surefire way to get that feeling.

That said, I've never tried exploring it for WILD potential, so you may be onto something there. 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 06 Jan 2016 01:40

I just finished reading Are You Dreaming? by Daniel Love, and in the section where he discusses different lucidity techniques, one is called the "Anchor" technique. In it, the dreamer plays some soft music in the background as they fall asleep in order to have something to anchor their consciousness to as their body falls asleep. I wasn't intending to do that, however I did have some white noise playing (ocean waves) and I was falling asleep I was just listening to waves. In the book he does mention a sensation of "falling down a tunnel" upon the onset of sleep when using this technique.

Here is the paragraph where he describes this-
"When Anchor is used successfully to induce a WILD, it is often accompanied by an unusual sensation of falling through a long tunnel, with the music becoming more distant as you fall. It's a very peculiar experience, but also fascinating and exhilarating."

That is definitely how I would qualify it. It wasn't frightening or uncomfortable as vertigo. (I have experienced that before, usually when ill. It's miserable.)
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

seanEE

Postby seanEE » 06 Jan 2016 17:57

That feeling is to scare you, And prevent you from smoothly transiting into a lucid dream,
All cool things must be difficult to achieve, thats planet earth rule #1 :)
''you must excuse my personality''

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”