Was this my first out of body experience? (very descriptive)

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
ToastedToast

Was this my first out of body experience? (very descriptive)

Postby ToastedToast » 07 Jan 2016 05:39

Bare with me, this is a long one...

Last night I experienced something that changed my life.. Let me get one thing straight, I was only trying to lucid dream. Nothing else. I have been trying to do it for a while but I have failed each time. Usually I will listen to binaural beats and lay rigidly still for as long as I can in a silent, pitch black room. When I do this I eventually get to the point of ‘paralysis’ and then stay there for a brief moment before I freak out and wake up. However, lately I have been getting better at controlling myself and remaining calmer and calmer each time I get to that stage, with each time being able to stay ‘paralyzed’ a little longer than the last. But what happened to me last night was extremely amazing, but extremely scary at the same time.

I began another attempt to lucid dream and I started falling into the sleep paralysis phase after about 10 minutes (the usual amount of time it takes me). The normal sensations occurred; I lost feeling in my hands & arms first, then my shoulders, legs, and the rest of my body, and then I began to feel weightless. It all felt like it usually does, but this time I worked hard to stay in this state for as long as I could, because I was determined to get to the ‘other side’ or the next phase (something I had never seen before).

...But something felt different this time. After being paralyzed for a while, It felt like I was still paralyzed, but I began to regain control of my body somehow, in some odd way that didn’t feel normal. I began to think that I had failed to lucid dream yet again and that I was just slowly waking up……
or so I thought…

Then something extremely bizarre happened..

(THIS IS THE COOL PART)
The darkness behind my eyelids seemed to get closer to me, and then sit on me, because I felt this heavy weight coming down compressing my body very quickly. The weight got very heavy but suddenly, like a click, there was no more weight and I felt alive, extremely alive, like my soul was suddenly activated by a switch. The instant this happened, I began to fly through the darkness at an astonishing speed (probably faster than light speed). I became aware that I was flying through a tunnel, but I could not see the tunnel. It was like I was traveling through a ring of energy, and I could barely see the inner walls of the tunnel moving past me. I flew through the tunnel for about 2-3 seconds before slowing down smoothly and arriving at my destination.
When I got to the other side of the tunnel, I heard my physical body exhale all of the air out of my lungs, but the sound came from behind me, like I was laying on top of my body. So even though It seemed like I traveled a million light years away from my body, I ended up getting the sense that I was on top of myself.
But where did I arrive and what was on the other side of this tunnel? I’m still unsure because my “eyes” were “closed” and I couldn’t move, the darkness just engulfed me. But I can definitely say that I did not feel anything like how I do when I’m here on earth. It was amazing, I can barely comprehend it now. I could feel every nerve in my body at the same time, even though I couldn’t move. I also felt like I was standing up while at the same time laying on the ‘ground’. And even though my eyes were closed, I know for a fact that if I could just open them, I would be able to see up, down, to each side, in front of me, and behind me, all at the same time. But I didn’t see anything, just darkness, because I couldn’t open my eyes. After a few seconds of this I began to feel trapped in this darkness and I wanted to open up my eyes to see what was in this realm, and to find out why I felt so amazingly different. I just couldn’t open my eyes, and I also couldn’t move, hear, smell, or taste. I tried as hard as I could, and I got really frustrated. I only stayed in this place for about 8 seconds because It felt like my time was beginning to run out, like I was slowly being pulled back into my body…
Then I returned back to my physical body and automatically manifested myself in it without being able to see what “I” was doing, or how I was doing it. My body didn’t have any air in my lungs when I ‘got back in it’, so I took control and inhaled very deeply and breathed rapidly for a few seconds before calming down. I was sitting in a pool of sweat so I’m not sure how long I was out. I also don’t remember feeling hot or cold, or any temperature at this place. It felt like a nothing-temperature, even though my body was sweating profusely.

I know for a fact this was NOT a “dream” because, well… I just can’t explain the difference a dream feels compared to how this felt. It was a different type of immersion that felt more real than reality. Also, I don’t do drugs, nor have I ever.

Sorry for writing a novel. But I feel that there was too much to describe. I will keep trying to get there because I really, REALLY want to go back. I want to be able to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel where I went, and find out what it is, because it was so indescribably amazing…..and, REAL……..and I want to experience it again.

But I am quite confused by this…

Can anyone tell me what happened to me, where I went, what I did to myself, what this means, etc.? If you have been there, or some place similar, tell me your story, what it was like, and if it was anything like what I experienced. I’m very new to these mind games but they are very interesting.
Also I’ve heard about astral projection, but is that what I experienced? Did I ‘get out of my body’? Or did I start lucid dreaming like I was trying to do?

Or…

Am I just going crazy?..

I’ll try to keep updating this page as I discover new things. If I do not post on this same post again, that means either nothing has happened yet, or I have forgotten, or I have found out that I AM crazy, or I have died...

Prince Demitri

Re: Was this my first out of body experience? (very descript

Postby Prince Demitri » 07 Jan 2016 19:45

First off, I don't believe in the supernatural; so I'm not going to talk about anything with "words of woo". I'm a skeptic, a critical thinker, and a researcher when it comes to dreams, consciousness, and the phenomena around them.

If you're looking for a more woo-based supernatural explanation, I'm sure there are others here that will happily give you their thoughts and beliefs about what you experienced (no doubt including all sorts of "chakra", "kundalini", "prana", and "third eye" mystical stuff; and keep an eye out for stuff about a "silver thread" too. :P ).

However, if you're looking for some useful and actionable information, then I can help with that.

I used to believe in the soul and astral projection (and even taught many others how to do it), but I'm no longer convinced by those concepts. This is not to say that I dismiss them entirely, as I do think there are other dimensions humans haven't yet discovered or explored. Our (humanity's) understanding of reality continues to grow with more and more new discoveries all the time, so I can't simply discount the possibility of other dimensions and the possibility that we experience them when we're in altered states of consciousness.

That said, I have experienced many different "types" and "levels" of dreams thruout my years of practice and research. Not all dreams are equal (or even close). It's very tempting to want to put a new label on a type of dream we discover in attempt to differentiate it from other types of dreams, but they are still dreams.

Some of those labels (like OBEs, astral projection, astral travel, and remote viewing) have gained popular attention, and as a result have extra baggage attached to them that muddy up the ability to reproduce and explore them. For instance:

ToastedToast wrote:I was only trying to lucid dream. Nothing else.

This is the reality that led you to your experience. But if you start to accept that it was an OBE because your experience was closest to the experiences others have called OBEs, then your attempts to try to do something other than what you were doing before (in pursuit of experiencing an OBE instead of a lucid dream) then that could very well be counterproductive for you.

You came to this experience by attempting to lucid dream. If you understand it as a different type of lucid dream, then you're more likely to be able to replicate the experience and push it even further; perhaps even being able to see, and explore the "landscape" of this type further.

I have had many experiences where my lucid dreams were so different from other lucid dreams that I was convinced for a while that they weren't dreams at all. (I wish someone had told me what I'm saying now right away, as it would've saved me months of misdirected attempts to replicate it.)

That way of thinking prevented me from experiencing that type again for a long time. (I can explain why that happens, but it would make this reply much longer - so if you'd like to know more about the technical aspects of why and how this bit of psychology works the way it does, just ask and I'll talk about that more.)

The rigid body method is one way to trigger a WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream), and it worked for you. In effect, you've been practicing a type of meditation. There's an interesting correlation between meditation and lucid dreaming, and I am convinced the two are linked.

This means that it's possible to use meditation to jump directly into lucid dreaming, while still maintaining an awareness of your physical body, and then wake from the lucid dream without experiencing the other types of sleep (deep sleep cycles, etc).

To replicate the experience, simply do exactly what you did before with the intent to have a lucid dream of the "more real than real" type. You might experiment with trying to remember all the sensations you felt in your experience while you are meditating in the same way you did before.

You already know what you did before has resulted in the experience you wish to replicate, so don't make any drastic changes to your concept of what you were doing or how. Just try to nudge yourself toward what you want by doing as you did before and add in only a recall of the sensations you experienced before.

I think the reason you felt your eyes were closed is because you were too aware that your physical eyes were closed. When this type of lucidity happens again, imagine that you can see thru your eyelids to explore what's around you. That should help you to see and explore the dreamscape space you're in during that experience.

I think I'll wrap up this post for now. I invite any questions you have.
Cheers! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 07 Jan 2016 19:47

PS. It's highly unlikely that you're going crazy. ;)

ToastedToast

Postby ToastedToast » 07 Jan 2016 23:15

Prince Demitri, I appreciate the thorough reply

We're quite along the same lines of thinking here. I will not jump to any conclusion just yet, since it has only happened to me once, and because it didn't happen for very long, and because I couldn't see where I was. And also, because frankly I'm new to all this and am quite skeptical myself.
Yes, lots of evidence (on the internet) points to an "oobe" or astral projection, but I am not choosing to believe that's what I did. I feel like a lot of those people had wishful thinking and really wanted it to be something it is not (I sort of felt that way at first, but I'm choosing to dismiss those "happy & magical" thoughts for now). With that being said, I do know for a FACT that it was no ordinary dream because I was "awake & aware" the entire time, which is something I have never achieved before. It was absolutely amazing. I have, though, had dreams where I felt amazing sensations, but nothing quite like this. I'm leaning more towards thinking it was a lucid dream (which is why I posted on a lucid dream forum rather than an astral projection forum). And I thought the WILD (wake-induced lucid dream) that you mentioned has some merit to it.

...Or maybe afterall, I was just simply meditating and I got to a certain point?...

I'm still suprised about how quickly it happened. Maybe when I transferred my conscious I was still aware of my body and that's the reason I couldn't get past it... But I'll keep trying to do it, and maybe soon I'll know more.

Anyhow, I will remain cautiously open-minded, and anyone can feel free to tell their opinion on what they think it was. But in the end I'm the only one who felt what it felt like, and I did my best to describe it to everyone so that they can have more insight to give a more thoughtful response (like yours).

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 07 Jan 2016 23:46

With that being said, I do know for a FACT that it was no ordinary dream because I was "awake & aware" the entire time, which is something I have never achieved before. It was absolutely amazing. I have, though, had dreams where I felt amazing sensations, but nothing quite like this.

I can relate to your description. There are a number of different "types" of dreams (as I was trying to express above), only a couple of which I would place in the category of "ordinary dream". :)

...Or maybe afterall, I was just simply meditating and I got to a certain point?...

Perhaps. That's kinda the fine line I was talking about between meditation and lucid dreaming. Perhaps certain types of lucid dreams may only be achievable thru certain types of meditation. In both cases, its about training your mind to operate with a different state of awareness. When it comes to these, I'm not sure there should be a distinction between certain "more real than real" lucid dreams and the "enlightened" states of some meditation practices.

I'm still suprised about how quickly it happened. Maybe when I transferred my conscious I was still aware of my body and that's the reason I couldn't get past it... But I'll keep trying to do it, and maybe soon I'll know more.

I look forward to hearing more about your results. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. :)

Cheers! 8-)

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”