New here, new to Lucid dreaming, need help

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
TimPo

New here, new to Lucid dreaming, need help

Postby TimPo » 08 Jan 2016 06:41

Just a quick introduction and how I ended up here.

I am a 36 year old male from the United States. I watched the movie "Waking Life" about 10 years ago and become interested in lucid dreams. I never really followed up on my interest though. I was flipping through the channels last night and Waking Life was on. After I watched it I did a little bit of research and the idea of Lucid dreaming is so exciting and intriguing to me.

Anyway, I did some reading last night and I will admit a lot of the techniques used to train your mind for lucid dreaming are a bit confusing to me though. One thing I read last night that I tried was this. I forget the term used for this but the example was to try to push the fingers of one of your hands through the palm of the other hand. I did this like 5 times right before I went to bed and really concentrated on doing it believing I could it. Now, I don't know if this was totally random or my first break through but early in the morning after waking up to use the bathroom and going right back to bed, I had a dream that I was trying to do this. In the dream though I was unable to push my fingers through my other hand and in the hand I was completely disappointed as I felt like this meant I would be unable to have lucid dreams. When I woke up I remembered this dream immediately and I thought maybe this was a meaningful first step.

So my question is, was it a meaningful first step or just a random coincidence? Also, as a total beginner what are the keys for me to work to train my mind to be able to have lucid dreams. I don't want to know or think about where this could go down the road I just want to focus on what I should be doing to get started.

Thank you.

RealityCheck

Re: New here, new to Lucid dreaming, need help

Postby RealityCheck » 08 Jan 2016 12:30

Hi TimPo ^^

It's great you took interest in lucid dreaming!

I forget the term used for this but the example was to try to push the fingers of one of your hands through the palm of the other hand.
This is called a reality check (ha-my name c:) It's one of the essential 'skills' you need to constantly practice throughout the day. The finger-through-palm method is fine, but like the dream you had, it sometimes does not work and may confuse you.

Other RCs (reality check) to try using:
> Plugging you nose with your finger - if you can't breathe when you hold your nose with your fingers, you're not dreaming; if you can breathe, you're dreaming! This should work 100% of the time :)
> Counting your fingers - in a dream state, you often find that your hands look very distorted i.e. six fingers. This works 99% of the time for me and is very easy to do :)

There are lots of other RCs, but I'll try to keep it short for now

I did this like 5 times right before I went to bed and really concentrated on doing it believing I could it.
This is a great mindset c: Always question reality!

Now, your dream - I am surprised you had a dream about lucid dreaming this quickly. It personally took me 3 months for me to even get a glimpse into LD. Lots of beginner lucid dreamers have dreams about lucid dreaming in the start, and this is awesome that you're already making progress! If you keep this up, you should have another shortly :)

As for the basic steps to achieve a lucid dream:
Do reality checks frequently - already got that down ;)
Keep a dream journal - this could be so that you can keep track of patterns occurring in your dreams, dream signs, reoccurring dreams, etc. It also feels nice to have a little notebook with all your dreams recorded in it c:
Meditate - to be honest, I don't do this myself at the moment, BUT, if you have the time and determination, I recommend you meditate. http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/meditation.html Check this out if you're interested c:
Don't try too hard - yes, sounds odd, but trying too hard tends to mess up beginners. There's no need to attempt a WILD or WBTB every single night. I advise you start out with practicing dream recalls and achieving a lucid dream naturally first (Dream Induced Lucid Dream).
And most importantly: Don't give up - anyone can lucid dream, so if you don't get your's in the next few days, don't give up! Like I said, it took me over three months, and some people take years c:

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or ask around the forum! :P
How to wake yourself up

Peter

Re: New here, new to Lucid dreaming, need help

Postby Peter » 09 Jan 2016 07:38

Great first effort, you were dreaming and your were lucid but failed to establish this. It can be hard but keep at it
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Introduce Yourself”