It took 3 reality checks, but I achieved lucidity!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
shutterbugjen

It took 3 reality checks, but I achieved lucidity!

Postby shutterbugjen » 10 Jan 2016 14:25

Hey everyone. I've seen several posts lately about people failing in their reality checks in their dream, and I just wanted to pop in with some encouragement. Last night I experienced two lucid dreams, and in the second one it took me 3 reality checks to establish that I was dreaming. The second lucid dream was, I believe, a false awakening-- the first lucid dream had ended, and I found myself lying in bed mad that the dream was over. As I was lying in bed, things didn't feel quite right, so I tried the reality check of pushing my fingers through the palm of my other hand, and it didn't work. I tried looking around for some text to read, but it was dark in the room, so then I decided to try and levitate my right leg. (I was lying on my back at this point.) My leg started floating in the air of its own accord, but I still didn't believe it. I thought surely I was physically lifting my leg, so then I tried levitating the other one. Suddenly both my legs were floating up in the air with no physical effort from me. And then I went on to have a lovely lucid dream, which I will post about in the "share your lucid dream" forum. But, I thought I'd share that in here, to encourage others to try multiple reality checks in your dream-- and the only way for that to happen is if you are practicing multiple reality checks in your waking hours.

Sweet dreams!
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Prince Demitri

Re: It took 3 reality checks, but I achieved lucidity!

Postby Prince Demitri » 10 Jan 2016 18:43

That's awesome! :)

I do wonder something tho... Where did the idea of pushing fingers thru your hand come from? That seems to be a fairly recent type of reality check, and yet it's not something that does, or even could work for me (and I hear it fails with false negatives so often for others).

Just curious where that idea for a reality check comes from (if you or someone else knows).

Thanks!
(And it's awesome to hear you had 2 lucid dreams in one night Jen. Congrats! :D )
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 10 Jan 2016 20:16

I first read about it in the articles on the main site, in the "introduction" section. I'll go back later & see if I can find the specific article. It's also part of the free 10 lesson program you can sign up for.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 11 Jan 2016 00:15

I see. Perhaps I should keep my thoughts about it to myself then.
No need to irritate the forum owner(s). ;)

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 11 Jan 2016 01:58

I couldn't say for sure, but I imagine she would welcome a civil discussion about it. :)

Can I ask what sort of reality checks that you have found work well? The palm-pushing has failed me twice but I seem to have good results by examining my hands. I'm sure different things work well for different people.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 11 Jan 2016 02:20

I'm sure different things work well for different people.

Absolutely! Life would be so boring if we were all just identical copies of each other. :D

Can I ask what sort of reality checks that you have found work well?

Personally, I use a few of them, and I mix them up to keep each RC unique.
Here's a few that I include in my mashup RCs:

:arrow: Examining hands/feet/mirrors
:arrow: Reading & re-reading something
:arrow: Backtracking my experience ("How'd I get here?")
:arrow: Dream power challenge (Try to use a power I only have in dreams)
:arrow: Examine & re-examine colors in my surroundings
:arrow: Relocation challenge (Shifting to instantly be in another setting)

Cheers! 8-)

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 11 Jan 2016 02:27

Last night when I was lucid I tried using the fingers-thru-my-palm thing, while evaluating if my lucidity sharpened, faded, or had no change (which is the way I have come to test new ideas for RCs that may work for me).

There was no change; which to me indicates that whether or not my fingers pass thru would be completely based on my expectations, and that would just be a different type of dream power challenge RC.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Feb 2016 07:26

Prince Demitri wrote:Last night when I was lucid I tried using the fingers-thru-my-palm thing, while evaluating if my lucidity sharpened, faded, or had no change (which is the way I have come to test new ideas for RCs that may work for me).

There was no change; which to me indicates that whether or not my fingers pass thru would be completely based on my expectations, and that would just be a different type of dream power challenge RC.

Hi, reality checks aren't based on increasing lucidity but rather on just finding out if one is dreaming or not. To increase lucidity, other things can be done eg counting and doing maths, reminding oneself that it is a dream etc

and reality checks are often based on peoples expectations, if one expects something will fail, it is very likely to do so eg for you as you expect the finger through palm to fail, it would be a bad reality check for you to try as it would be doubtful if it would suscede

Hand reality checks are common as after all, most of the time everyone has a hand with them.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”