Lucid Dreaming Plan

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
FutureMedStu

Lucid Dreaming Plan

Postby FutureMedStu » 11 Jan 2016 22:45

I wrote up a "schedule" (I guess) today at school, mainly because I was bored, but also because I've been meaning to try something like this for a long time. I plan to have had at least one LD by the end. Here it is:

Week One: Begin going to sleep and waking up at the same times. (Currently, what with school and employment and whatnot, I could be going to sleep at any time between 8 pm to midnight. During week one, I'd fix that).

Weeks Two and Three: Begin dream journaling after consistently going to sleep and waking at the same times.

Weeks Four and Five: Begin reality checking.

Weeks Six and Seven: Begin meditation (haven't decided what kind yet. Probably doesn't matter.).

Weeks Eight and Nine: Begin practicing the WBTB and MILD techniques

Weeks Ten and Eleven: Begin practicing the WILD and MILD techniques

Yeah. Took me maybe fifteen or twenty minutes to write it. So what do ya'll think? I should have had a LD by Week Eleven...right...?

shutterbugjen

Re: Lucid Dreaming Plan

Postby shutterbugjen » 12 Jan 2016 15:39

That is a very detailed plan! Going to bed at the same time each day should do wonders for your general health and energy level, as well! :) You might not need to be so strict with yourself, though. You could easily combine your activities from week 1-5 all at once. No need to wait to start dream journalling and reality checking. In fact the sooner you do those things the sooner you're likely to have a lucid dream!

It can vary wildly by individuals as far as how long it may take to have your first lucid dream. Some achieve it quickly, others it can take months. For me personally, I began using reality checks and recording my dreams and on the 4th night of this I had my first lucid dream. I continued these and tried out multiple techniques, but it took three weeks before I had another. It's easy to get discouraged when it doesn't happen when you want it to, but keep on going! For me, also, none of the techniques that a person can do purposefully have worked. All of my lucid dreams have just happened due to me becoming lucid while already in the dream. (I guess that is technically referred to as DILD- dream induced lucid dream- but it's not something you can really practice or do with intention. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that count.)

Good luck, and go easy on yourself! Read everything you can find on the subject. There is a wealth of material on this site as well as several books that are available. By reading about it and thinking about it you "teach" your subconscious that your dreams are important to you, and you should see an improvement in dream recall and in how vivid they are. That too, can vary by day as well. I had a solid three weeks of excellent dream recall at the beginning, then several days where I didn't remember anything at all, or just very fuzzy images remained. Be patient with yourself and you will have success!
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 12 Jan 2016 20:03

I agree with a number of Jen's points.

A note about meditation tho is that it does matter what kind of meditation you do. I've talked about this in other posts around the site, but I'm consolidating my advice to the thread "Consolidated Lucidity Advice" in the "General Lucid Discussion" section (the section this thread is in). I'll be posting about the meditation practice I use (which is in 2 parts; waking and bedtime meditations) in that project.

I have been meditating for many years and have streamlined my meditation practice to a few minutes each, with a high success rate for inducing lucidity in my dreams (not to mention maximizing the many other benefits meditation can have on day-to-day life).

Cheers! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Jan 2016 15:02

shutterbugjen wrote: All of my lucid dreams have just happened due to me becoming lucid while already in the dream. (I guess that is technically referred to as DILD- dream induced lucid dream- but it's not something you can really practice or do with intention. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that count.)

DILD certainly is something which one can work on having and one can do things to help trigger it in that manner eg tailored for oneself reality checks during the day to something in your dreams can help trigger off a DILD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Jan 2016 15:16

I personally don't think this plan is a good idea as I do think it may send a message to yourself subconsciously that you have to do follow this plan before you have a LD, so it may stop you from having one at an earlier point.

Also its better to start off with a plan in which all the most important LD triggering things are done.

Week One: Begin going to sleep and waking up at the same times. (Currently, what with school and employment and whatnot, I could be going to sleep at any time between 8 pm to midnight. During week one, I'd fix that).

Weeks Two and Three: Begin dream journaling after consistently going to sleep and waking at the same times.

Weeks Four and Five: Begin reality checking.

All those things should be done from the start and together. So all that should be week 1 from day 1 and I suggest to work on all these for 3 weeks before adding more in if you've had no luck (or introduce more things into your plan before this).

You also will miss the signal a change of sleep pattern will bring to yourself if you just use it to then go into a normal sleep with no further plan (so then it ruins that chance as a signal to get throu to yourself subconsciously more that you want to do something different then your norm eg LD). A change in sleep routine whether its to go to sleep positioned differently or something else changed can help trigger off a LD if you are intending to do one then.

As the other said the kind of meditation added in (if the other things haven't worked) does matter. Different meditations are done for different LD problems or things. Wrong kind of meditation for a person could even hinder ones LD attempts and be worst then not having done any at all. eg a person who has trouble going to sleep to enter into a WILD may need a relaxation form of meditation.. while someone who keeps loosing their LD state due to drifting off into a normal dream, may be better off doing holding focus and concentration kind of meditations.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”