Why Can't I Remember Lucid Dreams as well as Regular Dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
allijoyfly

Why Can't I Remember Lucid Dreams as well as Regular Dreams?

Postby allijoyfly » 12 Jan 2016 17:35

Last for the past few days I have been trying to have a lucid dream using WBTB/DEILD. I have been setting my alarm for 4.5 hours after I fall asleep because if I set it any later than that I tend to have a lot of trouble going back to sleep. When this does happen, I use WBTB instead of DEILD.

Anyway, I was trying DEILD last night and I woke up automatically imagining myself playing a piano. I kept doing this but eventually the image faded and I went back to sleep. In the dream, I told myself, "I am dreaming! I finally did it!" I calmed myself, knowing that I would wake up if I got too excited. I did a reality check just to make sure I was really dreaming. I am not really sure what it was that made me realize I was dreaming, but I just KNEW it once I entered the dream world

In the dream, I was in a field with mountains around it. There was a lake in front of me. I had read about Avatar: The Last Airbender powers in dreams, so I decided to try that. I tried to make a ball of water float out of the lake. The whole lake started floating above my head, and all that was left on the ground beneath it was mud and sticks. I put the water back and tried earth bending next. I morphed the ground beneath me as I ran over it.

This dream was pretty awesome, but there is just one problem that I am not sure about. When I woke up, I only remembered realizing I was dreaming, reminding myself I was dreaming, and being excited. I got parts and pieces of the dream from my subconscious which helped me "plug in" what I was doing in my dream. I still don't remember all of the dream and it is kind of foggy. I seem to be able to remember all of my dreams pretty well except for the lucid ones.

I remember the dream itself being very vivid, I just don't remember the details of it vividly. I am going to continue using this method until I can remember most of my dreams like they actually happened. If I am lucid again tonight, I am going to ask my subconscious about this. Also, if you ask your subconscious to help you have more lucid dreams in the future (ex: sending a DC to tell me to do a reality check), could it really do anything or would it just be ignored? I don't know very much about how the conscious/subconscious work when it comes to communication.

That is pretty much it... to sum it up, here are my main questions:
Why can't I remember lucid dreams as well as regular dreams? Is it just a coincidence?
Can my subconscious help me with lucid dreaming?
Why don't I remember all of the details of the dream when I first wake up?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Alli

Prince Demitri

Re: Why Can't I Remember Lucid Dreams as well as Regular Dre

Postby Prince Demitri » 12 Jan 2016 20:45

Hi Alli!

Here's some quick replies to your questions (as I'm currently running out of today's allotted forum time, and must be brief).

Why can't I remember lucid dreams as well as regular dreams? Is it just a coincidence?

Your post highlights (quite well actually) the point I just talked about in a reply to Jen in the "Consolidated Lucidity Advice - Discussion" thread (in the "General Lucid Discussion" section) about dream dimensions. Please give it a read for more about dream dimensions, and how it applies to your experience.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17402#p57291

I wouldn't say it's just coincidence, as many things might contribute to the quality of different dream dimensions (such as lucidity and recall). The research is currently on-going, but so far it suggests that there are many connections between the quality of different dimensions (or aspects), and your waking life. Things such as stress, expectations, and how well you take care of yourself (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc) all play a role.

Can my subconscious help me with lucid dreaming?

:!: YES! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Your subconscious is another part of you, so don't worry too much about whether or not it'll understand you, just intend what you want and your subconscious will understand your intent.

That said tho, you have to train your subconscious thru conditioning. Like with any skill, you must train to get better at it. If you want to become a good martial artist, you can't just watch martial arts being done by others, and read about it, you have to actually train and condition your muscles to perform the actions. The same is true for any skill, including dream work.

The most difficult part about training your subconscious is that you're always training your subconscious. Because of this, your subconscious already has certain habits (just as you and everyone else does). So when you train your subconscious, you're conditioning a new skill by replacing old habits (not recalling dreams) with new habits (recalling dreams); unfortunately it's always easier to be lazy and slip back into old habits. This is a common struggle for everyone trying to change their habits (whatever habits they seek to change).

That said, you can get your subconscious' help with this if you ask for help with it. The stronger your intention, and more often you re-enforce it, will make a big difference in getting it's cooperation. The practice of keeping a dream journal is an example of conditioning a habit to recall your dreams in order to record them.

Why don't I remember all of the details of the dream when I first wake up?

Dream recall is a common sticky point. The majority of people (at least of the hundreds I've surveyed during my research) rarely remember their dreams at all. This is mostly due to the fact that they haven't trained themselves for it. No one wins a marathon without some conditioning first (unless they are the only person in the marathon - but that's not really a marathon, is it? :P ); on the flip side, most people can still run if they want/need to. The same is true for dream recall; most remember a few on occasion, even without training.

You say you have good dream recall for most dreams, but not as much when lucid. Perhaps your subconscious thinks lucidity is your goal, and thus your recall slips when you achieve lucidity (with your subconscious relaxing the recall aspect due to being satisfied that you achieved lucidity). If this is the case, then telling your subconscious (while you are lucid in the dream) that you want to remember your lucid adventures may have a strong influence on the recall of your lucid dreams.

:idea: A final tip: Immediately upon waking, don't move! Instead, lay as still as you can while doing your best to recall your dreams in as much detail as you can. Once you feel you've got a good handle on your dream, you can then go to the bathroom and record your dream in your dream journal (in whichever order those two work best for you).

Cheers! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

shutterbugjen

Re: Why Can't I Remember Lucid Dreams as well as Regular Dre

Postby shutterbugjen » 15 Jan 2016 16:13

Just wanted to hop in here and say you're not alone!! I experience my lucid dreams VERY vividly, but my memory of them is not as vivid as I'd like it to be. I'm hoping that this will change with time and experience, as it is a learned skill, and like anything else, needs practice.
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”