Can't Fall back to Sleep trying to have a DEILD

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
allijoyfly

Can't Fall back to Sleep trying to have a DEILD

Postby allijoyfly » 13 Jan 2016 14:34

The night before last night I had a DEILD. I have not had a lucid dream that I can remember in several months because they usually only occur randomly. I tried the method again last night, but when I woke up, I could not get back to sleep. I was wide awake and ready to get up.

After about 45 minutes of tossing and turning, I went back to sleep. I woke this morning remembering three dreams, none of them lucid. Why could I not go back to sleep after waking up? I usually fall back to sleep in under a minute using this.

This is a fairly short post because there is not much to say about this. I just woke up and could not fall back to sleep. All answers are appreciated!

-Alli

HAGART

Re: Can't Fall back to Sleep trying to have a DEILD

Postby HAGART » 15 Jan 2016 10:14

I know the feeling.

The short answer is brain waves. Gamma, Delta, Beta, Theta and all that garbage scientists coined from a Greek dictionary.

Forget the words. Know the feeling.

You must teeter on the cusp of waking and dreaming. Waking up is like emerging from water and once the surface tension is breached and you rise above, you can't get back no matter how hard you try. At best we become a snorkler experiencing hypnopompia, and if that fails we become grotesque arachnids that walk on water like Jesus. Who doesn't want to be that?

The best way to do that is to have the mindset before you go to bed that you can sleep forever. When you feel like you are coming out of a dream in those final moments, even if it wasn't lucid, (but you tend to be lucid in those final moments), don't move, and keep your eyes closed. Forget about waking life and go back to where you once were. Pretend you can sleep forever, sleeping beauty, and don't have a guy with a guitar named, Prince in your room. That's just creepy and disturbing.

Start recalling your dream and then you may notice that you are filling in the blanks with false memories or even better, open your eyes to find yourself in a false awakening. Reality check and you are on your way to some great lucid dreams that start from your own bed and swear it was an OBE, but is really just your mind filling in the blanks of reality and creating it's own which it does all day anyway.

That sounds too easy, but it's not.

You may only experience a disoriented hypnopompic state full of weird day dreams, but that's interesting too.
Don't let lucid dreaming be your end goal. Let the exploration of your mind be your quest. Exploring new ground is what oneironauts do, and let that be the beacon that drives you on and if you are lucid it's only icing on the cake.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 15 Jan 2016 11:10

HAGART wrote:Pretend you can sleep forever, sleeping beauty, and don't have a guy with a guitar named, Prince in your room. That's just creepy and disturbing.

*Picks up guitar and leaves Alli's room* Yeah, you're probably right. :lol:

Seriously tho, good info Hagart! Nicely said! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 15 Jan 2016 16:18

HAGART wrote:You may only experience a disoriented hypnopompic state full of weird day dreams, but that's interesting too.
Don't let lucid dreaming be your end goal. Let the exploration of your mind be your quest. Exploring new ground is what oneironauts do, and let that be the beacon that drives you on and if you are lucid it's only icing on the cake.

^^That is what tends to happen to me when I'm that edge of sleep/wakefulness. It's a fine balancing act, trying to remain conscious enough to notice what's happening in one's mind and allowing the images to take you into a blissful sleep!
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Jan 2016 07:56

I was stupid when I wrote that late at night. It sounded funny in my head at the time. :D
But I do think there is something to be gleaned from my nonsense.

I do dream chain often which is another way of saying, DEILD.

It certainly is like walking a tightrope, teetering on the edge of waking and dreaming. I wish I could explain it better.

But to go back to your original post, sometimes we wake up, and there is nothing we can do about it. It's hard to go back, no matter how hard we try. Don't fret. You are not the only one.

If that happens again, have a Wake Back to Bed period and go back to sleep. It won't work 100% of the time, and nothing ever does, but I must say, it works well in my experience.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Jan 2016 07:59

Oh, and I must say, I'm glad you got my silly joke, Prince. :lol:

And to Shutterbugjen, get to know hypnagogic imagery and play with it and see how far you can go. That is still something I am trying to master and it takes time. Don't give up. Enjoy the ride.

WILDs are still an elusive mistress for me. But my love affair has never wavered.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”