This is frustrating!!!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Hugo

This is frustrating!!!

Postby Hugo » 15 Jan 2016 06:33

I've encountered an obstacle in my quest for lucidity, one very frustrating barrier that's blocking my way to the full experience of lucidity in dreams. The thing is, I have successfully lucid dreamed 13 times now, but every single one of them suddenly collapses, leading me to waking reality. In essence, whenever I trigger lucidity, everything fades instantly that I'm unable to do any form of stabilization. The views are gone, the sounds, it's just all gone. Then there's some dreams that take a couple more seconds to fall, but the story is the same. Usually in these instances I try taking a walk around the dream, but then I realize I can't move a single muscle! It feels as if I'm working to move my actual sleeping body that's in rem attonia, not my dream body. On top of this, the moment lucidity strikes a sudden pulsating/vibrational sensation detonates throughout my body, distracting me from the dream and waking me up.

I'm thinking this is due to very troubling experiences I had in the past with nightmares as a child. At that time I would sometimes find myself lucid by accident, and screamed at the top of my lungs for the dream to end and wake up.

Now that I want to get into lucid dreaming, this mental block is preventing me from literally living my dreams! Is it a matter of expectation? Any suggestions as to what I could do? This is the most frustrating thing ever. I'm that close and at the same time it feels so far away. It's been 13 lucid dreams, but even the non-lucid ones are far more engaging than every single one of these. :x :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks in advance to any of you who took the chance to read this post.

Prince Demitri

Re: This is frustrating!!!

Postby Prince Demitri » 15 Jan 2016 07:21

Hi Hugo.

I read your post and I intend to reply with actionable advice (if I can).
But before I do, I think I'll take some time to give your situation some thought.
If any questions arise, I'll be sure to ask.

Hang in there my friend! 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

mikeman7918

Postby mikeman7918 » 15 Jan 2016 18:20

I have had 3 lucid dreams in the last month (two of which were in one night) and like you I found that they immediately collapsed and I became aware of my body lying in my bed as the dream faded until it seemed no more real then my imagination. I am definitely no expert, but I would suggest that you try DEILD. I only learned about it yesterday and last night I came quite close to success before I made the stupid mistake of moving to check the time. I am definitely going to continue doing that, and it might help you by giving you more chances to stabilize your dream if you fail.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 16 Jan 2016 06:39

Prince Demitri wrote:Hi Hugo.

I read your post and I intend to reply with actionable advice (if I can).
But before I do, I think I'll take some time to give your situation some thought.
If any questions arise, I'll be sure to ask.

Hang in there my friend! 8-)

Don't worry, I've been breaking my head with this one since I began learning about lucid dreaming. Although, now that I think about it, this has remained as the tone for all my lucid experiences since I can remember. In the meantime I'll look for solutions on my part as well. First, I want to increase my chances of lucidity so that I have more opportunities to deal with this problem.

mikeman7918 wrote:I have had 3 lucid dreams in the last month (two of which were in one night) and like you I found that they immediately collapsed and I became aware of my body lying in my bed as the dream faded until it seemed no more real then my imagination. I am definitely no expert, but I would suggest that you try DEILD. I only learned about it yesterday and last night I came quite close to success before I made the stupid mistake of moving to check the time. I am definitely going to continue doing that, and it might help you by giving you more chances to stabilize your dream if you fail.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I could try DEILD, might offer another chance to get back in the dream, or at least give me time to act and do something whenever it starts collapsing. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Jan 2016 14:40

You may be having this trouble due to only becoming lucid when you are close to a wake up state to start with. That makes it easier to have a LD but makes it much harder to stay in them. (this can also be a common issue in those who do WILD when a person goes into a dream state but only a very light one causing the lucid dreamer to wake back up).

Maybe work on doing things which could help you to become lucid in deeper states eg program triggers to wake u up to things in your dreams.

there is though a good thing about these wake ups, they can be great practice for teaching yourself to get into a dream at will as its easier to go into a LD if one has just come out of one. You could teach yourself to WILD on the wake ups. To do this don't at all stress but just think of yourself back where you were in the dream.. spend at least 5 mins just thinking of how you felt in the dream eg where you were standing, how you were standing or sitting, what you were seeing, hearing etc. Don't think of being in your current bed but focus on that dream you just had.

The pulsing/vibration feel is probably a very real thing you are feeling... our energy body or astral body can often be felt in between sleep/wake states and that pulses and vibrates (as its made from energy).

Usually in these instances I try taking a walk around the dream, but then I realize I can't move a single muscle! It feels as if I'm working to move my actual sleeping body that's in rem attonia, not my dream body

its not always easy to move ones astral body with ones normal waking mind if one isn't used to it (some people have trouble moving, others feel very heavy or sluggish)... I think you may be picking up on that and its that you are trying to actually move (when one is tuning into the astral, dreaming can be harder to do too.. astral projection and dreaming are slightly different states... when dreaming, the mind is relaxed more to allow more the subconsciousness to be manifesting).

You could think about reading up on astral projection and trying some astral projection techniques to help you have an experience when you are feeling that pulsing and vibrating. eg you could try to intensify the pulsing and vibrating by focusing on it. When it gets very intense, people are often thrown then out of their physical bodies. or focus on moving your energy away from your physical body by doing something like imagining there is rope above you and imagine climbing it up and out throu your ceiling.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 21 Jan 2016 20:20

A couple of updates.

The 15th of this month I had an interesting non-lucid dream. In it, I am walking around my backyard when I feel a strong pulse around the left side of my neck. My dream-self at this moment moves my hands close to it, then away as if drawing from its "energy." It is extremely difficult to move my hands, as if going against some unknown resistance. The more I do, however, the intensity of the pulses increase, to the point it encompasses my whole body. I notice something is pulling me in somewhere, but the sensation is too much for me to handle, and I wake up.

Then, I had a lucid dream the next day, but I'm not sure. It could be a dreamlet for all I know. Anyway, I woke up in the night from another dream. I decided to practice a WILD for the next 10 min. I lie down in meditation. Some minutes into it, I see a house. In it, in an almost empty room, sit three or four people and a dog. It's all very foggy. Immediately I realize, hey this is a dream. Upon that remark, the scene fades as quickly as it formed. As always, a heavy pulse takes a hold of me, this time, around my ribs. It's uncomfortable, but I can handle it. I decide to take a different approach and observe the feeling. I notice the more I surrender to it, it intensifies, now expanding to my chest. I get scared, lose focus and the pulse ends.

For the next 5-10 min. I stay in meditation, trying to re-induce the experience. At times it appears to be working, I can feel the pulse again, but it's tough to tune into it. If I don't maintain focus, it vanishes. I give it a couple more tries, then I decide to wake up for good.

taniaaust1 wrote:You may be having this trouble due to only becoming lucid when you are close to a wake up state to start with. That makes it easier to have a LD but makes it much harder to stay in them. (this can also be a common issue in those who do WILD when a person goes into a dream state but only a very light one causing the lucid dreamer to wake back up).

Maybe work on doing things which could help you to become lucid in deeper states eg program triggers to wake u up to things in your dreams.

there is though a good thing about these wake ups, they can be great practice for teaching yourself to get into a dream at will as its easier to go into a LD if one has just come out of one. You could teach yourself to WILD on the wake ups. To do this don't at all stress but just think of yourself back where you were in the dream.. spend at least 5 mins just thinking of how you felt in the dream eg where you were standing, how you were standing or sitting, what you were seeing, hearing etc. Don't think of being in your current bed but focus on that dream you just had.

That makes sense, but I can't figure out how to reach these deeper states of the dreaming process. I just find myself present in the dream randomly. Although, it's always the lucid ones that end up being so close to the waking state. Most often than not, my non-lucid dreams take a lot more time to develop. It makes sense as well, that it's easier to become lucid whenever any of these dreams are about to end. Could it be that it's all just a reflection of my current experience with lucid dreaming? Maybe as time goes by, I may be able to induce lucidity at other times in the dream.

About that last part, you mean doing a traditional WILD, or is it more along the lines of a DEILD. Usually, when I wake up, I write short keywords about the dream I just had to make it easier to remember them in the morning. If I do this, then I miss the chance for a DEILD, though I can return and attempt another WILD. If I do a DEILD, then I could ignore the dream I just had and hopefully remember it by morning.

The pulsing/vibration feel is probably a very real thing you are feeling... our energy body or astral body can often be felt in between sleep/wake states and that pulses and vibrates (as its made from energy).

its not always easy to move ones astral body with ones normal waking mind if one isn't used to it (some people have trouble moving, others feel very heavy or sluggish)... I think you may be picking up on that and its that you are trying to actually move (when one is tuning into the astral, dreaming can be harder to do too.. astral projection and dreaming are slightly different states... when dreaming, the mind is relaxed more to allow more the subconsciousness to be manifesting).

You could think about reading up on astral projection and trying some astral projection techniques to help you have an experience when you are feeling that pulsing and vibrating. eg you could try to intensify the pulsing and vibrating by focusing on it. When it gets very intense, people are often thrown then out of their physical bodies. or focus on moving your energy away from your physical body by doing something like imagining there is rope above you and imagine climbing it up and out throu your ceiling.

I haven't read much about Astral Projection, though it's certainly an interesting concept. I also get confused between both terms (lucid dreaming and astral projection) as the experiences often overlap whenever I read about them. Nonetheless, I keep an open mind about it, and if it's indeed a real thing, then to me it's worth exploring. If not, then there's nothing to lose anyway, by trying it out.

That being said, I find it interesting how what you describe is similar to what I'm currently dealing with. That last suggestion could certainly prove useful. Also, I seem to be making progress with surrendering to the feeling right now, intensifying it. The problem is resisting the unpleasant sensation that arrives with the pulses.

Thanks for the help taniaaust1! :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Feb 2016 08:17

As always, a heavy pulse takes a hold of me, this time, around my ribs. It's uncomfortable, but I can handle it. I decide to take a different approach and observe the feeling. I notice the more I surrender to it, it intensifies, now expanding to my chest. I get scared, lose focus and the pulse ends.

That's it :) .. you just now have to try to master that fear and not let it stop things.

The thing I find most interesting about the OBE stuff is that someone doesn't even have to understand what they are doing for it to work. What you are doing with this when you focus on the vibrations etc, its an energy raising technique. It boosts the astral body so makes separation earlier. An advanced psychic can see this increase of energy.

For the next 5-10 min. I stay in meditation, trying to re-induce the experience. At times it appears to be working, I can feel the pulse again, but it's tough to tune into it. If I don't maintain focus, it vanishes. I give it a couple more tries, then I decide to wake up for good.

that's great. Keep doing that in the way you are and you will end up having success.

About that last part, you mean doing a traditional WILD, or is it more along the lines of a DEILD. Usually, when I wake up, I write short keywords about the dream I just had to make it easier to remember them in the morning. If I do this, then I miss the chance for a DEILD, though I can return and attempt another WILD. If I do a DEILD, then I could ignore the dream I just had and hopefully remember it by morning.

I don't know what traditional WILD is, there are so many ways to do WILD. DEILD? sorry I've forgotten what that term stands for and is.

getting up and writing dreams down is great but maybe its time to try something new if you have been doing that for a while. I really suggest to try what I suggested for a couple of weeks and don't move once you drop out of a dream and just try to return straight to that dream (do not try too hard, simply think of yourself being back there. like a will thing. I'm back.. you don't have to even try to use your imagination just gently will yourself back. Be open to believing you can do this). If you do succeded, after a few minutes do wake yourself up to write it down to make sure you don't forget.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”