Recurring oddities

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
jyumai

Recurring oddities

Postby jyumai » 19 Jan 2016 02:21

My house has been modified a few times over my lifetime (I have never moved).
Often when I have lucid dreams or even "project" (for those who believe in OBEs) parts of my house are still as they were several years ago. In particular there is a red door that was moved from my kitchen (which we used to enter the house from) to another part of the house. The new kitchen now has the same red door in my dreams. I have even tasted (yes....) the door in a lucid dream as weird as it sounds and remembered biting it as child. I also see my sister as she was about 5 or 6 years ago. Why are pieces of my home time travelling in my dreams? :lol:

shutterbugjen

Re: Recurring oddities

Postby shutterbugjen » 19 Jan 2016 17:54

jyumai wrote:Why are pieces of my home time travelling in my dreams?

Because the subconscious has a very dry sense of humor. ;) I often find similar things in my dreams, either bits and pieces of actual places, or friends from a city where I used to live in a place I visit now. I've been reading Stephen LaBerge's book "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreams" and in it he discusses how while in a waking state, your brain uses sensory information to construct a model of the world around you. (Your eyes see a red door, so your brain ascertains "there is a red door.") During sleep, your sensory input is switched off, leaving your sunbconscious the job of filling in details and it may or may not be precisely the way it is in waking life. I haven't done any research into OBEs, but I would imagine that if they are indeed real, your physical body is still asleep in your bed, thus employing your subconscious in a similar way.
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

taniaaust1

Re: Recurring oddities

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Feb 2016 07:07

cause its lodged strongly in your memories..
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”