The LD Springboard Technique (for lack of a better name)

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Harry Potter

The LD Springboard Technique (for lack of a better name)

Postby Harry Potter » 02 Feb 2016 06:15

So over the last 3/4 of a year where I have been really working at LDs, I have derived an interesting method I thought I'd share here.

As a longtime Pottered (i.e. Harry Potter fan), I have had plenty of dreams revolved around HP. Most of the time, I am wielding a wand and doing some sort of battle. In almost all of my LDs to date, I have done something wand/spell/magic/HP related.

Often times, in my non-LDs, I am trying to cast a spell and it simply does not work. It just won't go... This often happens when I am more conscious of my dream; not lucid, but not so deep/tired that I just float by. Something from my conscious gets to me, whispering 'this is not going to work.' This became such a common occurrence, that it prompted my first ever LD (before I ever knew what LDing was). I was trying to cast a spell, and I thought 'this never works in dreams! I must be dreaming!'

So anyways, in later lucids, I have often found that I cannot cast spells as well. The way I get it to work (note: I first figured this out in a non lucid) is by really willing the spell to go; I can feel it come out of the wand. I did this in almost all my LDs. Because of this, when doing it in a regular dream, it prompted lucidity. I had associated that feeling with LDs, so when I did it in a regular dream, it prompted lucidity.

This leads to my tentative technique. I propose that when having an LD, purposefully do something that is a common occurrence in a regular dream. This associates the feeling of lucidity with that thing, whatever it may be. The problem with this is that it doesn't really aim towards generating someone's first LD; you have to be having LD's already for this to work. Hence the 'springboard' technique; you use one lucid to generate another.

Enjoy! Also, please please please post any attempts at this here. I would be really interested in hearing how this goes for people. Feel free to post any edits to the technique as well; as I said, this is a work in progress, created by accident.
DILD's: 17

WILD's: 2

Current LD Goals: shapeshift (Probably my favorite thing to do), and jump off of a skyscraper

ThePurple

Re: The LD Springboard Technique (for lack of a better name)

Postby ThePurple » 21 Feb 2016 01:26

Okay, I read this a while back (cursorily, it seems) and thought it was about gaining lucidity after being able to cast spells, so just a variation of the reality check of trying a superpower like flying or something. But, no.

In case anyone else missed it, here's the crux:

Harry Potter wrote:I propose that when having an LD, purposefully do something that is a common occurrence in a regular dream. This associates the feeling of lucidity with that thing, whatever it may be.

So, it's conditioning, but integrates elements from that technique of finding dream symbols that also occur in real life, and using a reality check whenever they're encountered. My dreams tend not to share much with my current life happenings, so I've always been frustrated that I can't use what seems like a good technique. I dream often of people and locations from my past, so I like the idea of bringing them in every time I become lucid otherwise...

Neat!

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”