DIY dream mask LED choice

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
Dev

DIY dream mask LED choice

Postby Dev » 09 Feb 2016 19:19

Hi everyone, first-post newbie here. On a mission to have that first lucid dream, and I am rather disgusted by the prices of the devices on the market that can help detect REM and alert the sleeper that they're dreaming. Even the Remee with its limited features is absurdly overpriced.

I have the skills and tools to build what I need for a *lot* less money, so that's the plan. Which brings me to the question I have for people who might already be using a device/mask to help them:

What color of light is most effective to alert a sleeper to the dream state without waking them?

I know, for example, that blue tends to make people more alert. Red has negative connections that I'd rather avoid (like Stop! and Blood) since we're dealing with the subconscious where symbols are taken very seriously. I'm leaning toward green but I thought I'd throw this question out there before I heat up the soldering iron. The lights are only pennies each so I can experiment with all of them, I'm just trying to spare myself some extra construction time and hopefully get it right the first time.

Cheers,
Dev

Limeth

Re: DIY dream mask LED choice

Postby Limeth » 09 Feb 2016 22:39

I'd suggest using red LEDs. I don't have experience with mentioned masks, but I know blue light might interact with your melatonin and possibly even wake you up.
Throwing away your dreams means throwing away 20% of your life.

Dev

Re: DIY dream mask LED choice

Postby Dev » 11 Feb 2016 17:27

Thanks Limeth, I agree with you that blue light would probably be counter-productive. Having thought about it a little more I think I'm overly concerned about the red lights, and they do have some important advantages in terms of dark-adjusted sight so I will probably go with your suggestion and try red first.

Cheers

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”