My experience with lucid dreaming? How close was I?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
InceptionTravel

My experience with lucid dreaming? How close was I?

Postby InceptionTravel » 28 Feb 2016 14:53

Hi everyone,

My name is Jake, I'm 22 and I'm from London, UK.
I have known about lucid dreams my whole life however I have never had one. I used to have out of body experiences every night when I was about 5 years old, I would wake up and find my self above my body on the ceiling. I could see myself sleeping clearly and after looking at myself I would begin to slowly float down into my body. As I would fall down I could feel butterflies in my traveller body and as soon as I reconnected with my body, I would wake up immediately, taking a gasping breath and bolting up into a sitting position. As I say this used to happen every night for at least a year or two. My last out of body experience was when I was 16, I OBE'd and stood beside myself, watching myself sleep. Someone came into my room and I woke up, completely paralysed, unable to move. I guess my mind woke up before my body, eventually I came round.

My question is, I have never had a lucid dream - I've never been aware I'm in a dream or controlled one and that is what I have been trying to learn to do the last 2 days. I have started a dream journal, documenting my dreams, all of which have been awful dreams - I had a dream of a plane crashing in from of me and blowing up, then another where I had a massive hollow hole in my left thigh and another where a black cat was attacking and biting me the other night. Last night I dreamt my grandad had a seizure and a stroke. So not very nice dreams the last few nights.

I have also been doing checks during the day like counting my fingers and pinching myself to see if I can feel it as well as reading a book about lucid dreams.

My question is regarding the experience last night. I went to bed and laid on my back. I took a few deep breaths and relaxed into the bed. I am used to meditating so am good at quieting my mind. If any thoughts came in I just let them go. After some time I started to feel my body almost vibrating, my chest became heavy and I started to see bright images flash into my mind, not clear like my vision though. It's like when you wake up the next day and visualise the dream. I wasn't in dream state however. The heavy chest started to become uncomfortable so I snapped myself out of it and then tried again, however this time I fell asleep and dreamt instead.

For those experienced lucid dreamers, was I close to lucid dreaming or was it likely that I would have gone into an out of body experience instead? Also, what else can I do to have a lucid dream?

Any feedback would be appreciated, many thanks,

Jake

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

ThePurple

Re: My experience with lucid dreaming? How close was I?

Postby ThePurple » 28 Feb 2016 23:52

OBEs can easily be transformed into LDs by simply realizing it is a type of dream and heading off to find your adventure, so don't worry about which you were going to enter; for practical purposes they are the same. It does sound like you were close, but didn't disconnect your awareness from your body, either by visualizing/palpating a preplanned dreamscape or by climbing/rolling/lifting out of your sleeping body.

Also, pinching yourself isn't a reliable reality check, as you can feel pain in dreams. More importantly, if you're doing it 'to see if you can feel it' that's pretty much guaranteeing it will feel the same if you try it in your dreams, because everything there is governed by your expectations. No matter what checks you do, you should always expect a result that would only be possible if you were dreaming. Pinching then could work if you expect your fingertips to touch inside your arm.

RobertForsythe

Postby RobertForsythe » 29 Feb 2016 05:44

Hello Jake,
Sounds like you are primed and ready to go.
Were you close to "lucid dreaming"?... I think you were beyond close....

A little effort at increasing the Lucidity of your waking life will reflect directly into your dreaming world.
How I Project Consciousness In 15 Minutes Or Less & How You Can Too
by Robert Forsythe

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 01 Mar 2016 16:02

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply! Great, I'm so glad to hear that!

Could you please suggest some possible ways to connect with reality more? I've been doing Dream checks - counting my fingers and trying to put my finger through my hand, pinching myself (which I'm told is unreliable as you can feel pain in the dream world) and asking "is this a dream?" Followed by "no I'm not dreaming because I can't put my finger through my hand".

Am also Dream journaling.

Please also feel free to share how you become lucid at night. What's your process?

I'm dreaming every night, I just can't quite seem to become conscious in them. However I have found that when I almost had the experience I shared in the post I did it laying on my back. I normally sleep on my front and sleeping on my back is uncomfortable and foreign so it takes a while to fall asleep. I think the fact that I was on my back kept my conscious awake longer as I wasn't used to sleeping on my back. I seemed to keep drifting in and out of consciousness. What do you think?

I appreciate all of your help and guidance and would love to hear about your stories and travels.

Have a great day,
Jake

RobertForsythe wrote:Hello Jake,
Sounds like you are primed and ready to go.
Were you close to "lucid dreaming"?... I think you were beyond close....

A little effort at increasing the Lucidity of your waking life will reflect directly into your dreaming world.

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 01 Mar 2016 16:05

That's interesting thank you very much for that! I have been using the pinching technique and putting my finger through my hand.

Please feel free to share any more tips you have, your lucid experiences and how you put yourself into lucid dream every night.

Have a great day!
Jake

ThePurple wrote:OBEs can easily be transformed into LDs by simply realizing it is a type of dream and heading off to find your adventure, so don't worry about which you were going to enter; for practical purposes they are the same. It does sound like you were close, but didn't disconnect your awareness from your body, either by visualizing/palpating a preplanned dreamscape or by climbing/rolling/lifting out of your sleeping body.

Also, pinching yourself isn't a reliable reality check, as you can feel pain in dreams. More importantly, if you're doing it 'to see if you can feel it' that's pretty much guaranteeing it will feel the same if you try it in your dreams, because everything there is governed by your expectations. No matter what checks you do, you should always expect a result that would only be possible if you were dreaming. Pinching then could work if you expect your fingertips to touch inside your arm.

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 01 Mar 2016 22:35

InceptionTravel wrote:Please feel free to share any more tips you have, your lucid experiences and how you put yourself into lucid dream every night.

I don't have lucid dreams every night (yet!) but I'll get 4 or 5 dream-initiated LDs in a good week, if I keep up with a few activities during the day: awareness exercises, dream journaling, and generally thinking or talking about lucid dreaming. The last two are pretty straight forward, but for training yourself to regularly engage your senses and question your world, I like this guide at the moment: http://www.dreamviews.com/induction-techniques/113253-all-day-awareness-dild-tutorial-kingyoshi.html

RobertForsythe

Postby RobertForsythe » 01 Mar 2016 23:15

I think the fact that I was on my back kept my conscious awake longer as I wasn't used to sleeping on my back. I seemed to keep drifting in and out of consciousness. What do you think?

Slight physical discomfort is actually helpful as one approach to getting OBE since it prevents falling into deep sleep too quickly.

I searched around for decent "awareness exercises" of the sort that I find to be orders of magnitude more effective than the typical "reality checks" (which I have found do not work very well at all for most newbies). I have not been having much luck finding a good resource for awareness exercises on the net... at least not the type that work to improve lucidity in dreaming. Maybe I can write a thorough essay on the basics and get it posted to a website somewhere. I do not want to present a half baked exercise and then watch the negative reports pour in from the more inexperienced aspirants.

I also do not want to reinvent the wheel -- here is a good place to start;
http://www.satrakshita.com/internal_considering.htm
external considering is maybe even more effective as far as LDs go....

I do not get lucid dreams every night. I cyclically roll through periods of detachment and lucidity in my waking life and then I inevitably wane back into the sleep of common zombie level awareness that I must Work to overcome again. I get a few full conscious OBEs a month when I am disciplined and these in turn engender LDs with little further effort. I provide exact details in the best book written on the subject, imho;

How I Project Consciousness In 15 Minutes Or Less: & How You Can Too (Kindle Edition )
by Robert Forsythe

RobertForsythe

Postby RobertForsythe » 02 Mar 2016 06:27

The last two are pretty straight forward, but for training yourself to regularly engage your senses and question your world, I like this guide at the moment: http://www.dreamviews.com/induction-techniques/113253-all-day-awareness-dild-tutorial-kingyoshi.html

This ADA exercise is pretty darn good. There are some small errors that are mostly irrelevant for beginners. Energetic dedication to this ADA exercise will bring excellent results and good progress, imho. It may sound simple at first glance but it is actually very demanding and requires levels of discipline that most people are unaccustomed to... to put it mildly.
by Robert Forsythe

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 02 Mar 2016 20:16

Haha, I don't have one every night, I only have one 4-5 a week! Haha. I'd be happy with 4-5 a week!

Great, il check this out thankyou!

ThePurple wrote:
InceptionTravel wrote:Please feel free to share any more tips you have, your lucid experiences and how you put yourself into lucid dream every night.

I don't have lucid dreams every night (yet!) but I'll get 4 or 5 dream-initiated LDs in a good week, if I keep up with a few activities during the day: awareness exercises, dream journaling, and generally thinking or talking about lucid dreaming. The last two are pretty straight forward, but for training yourself to regularly engage your senses and question your world, I like this guide at the moment: http://www.dreamviews.com/induction-techniques/113253-all-day-awareness-dild-tutorial-kingyoshi.html

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

InceptionTravel

Postby InceptionTravel » 02 Mar 2016 20:21

Yes I am going to do it again, and I will just breath and allow it. Feel free to share your methods here, I would certainly love to head them.

Thanks Robert, il check this out!

what was the first thing you did when you first ever became lucid? Just out of interested. Feel free not to share of course :)

RobertForsythe wrote:
I think the fact that I was on my back kept my conscious awake longer as I wasn't used to sleeping on my back. I seemed to keep drifting in and out of consciousness. What do you think?

Slight physical discomfort is actually helpful as one approach to getting OBE since it prevents falling into deep sleep too quickly.

I searched around for decent "awareness exercises" of the sort that I find to be orders of magnitude more effective than the typical "reality checks" (which I have found do not work very well at all for most newbies). I have not been having much luck finding a good resource for awareness exercises on the net... at least not the type that work to improve lucidity in dreaming. Maybe I can write a thorough essay on the basics and get it posted to a website somewhere. I do not want to present a half baked exercise and then watch the negative reports pour in from the more inexperienced aspirants.

I also do not want to reinvent the wheel -- here is a good place to start;
http://www.satrakshita.com/internal_considering.htm
external considering is maybe even more effective as far as LDs go....

I do not get lucid dreams every night. I cyclically roll through periods of detachment and lucidity in my waking life and then I inevitably wane back into the sleep of common zombie level awareness that I must Work to overcome again. I get a few full conscious OBEs a month when I am disciplined and these in turn engender LDs with little further effort. I provide exact details in the best book written on the subject, imho;

How I Project Consciousness In 15 Minutes Or Less: & How You Can Too (Kindle Edition )

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”