False Awakening

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Kadokane109

False Awakening

Postby Kadokane109 » 05 Mar 2016 12:41

Normally, I can shrug off false awakenings. Normally I can pick something out fairly easy that alerts me that I'm dreaming, and I can either continue the dream lucidly or wake my self up for real. But this one was... different.

I thought I woke up and started heating up some left overs in the microwave. I had an odd feeling that I was dreaming, so I tried some reality checks. I looked at the clock on the oven, which read 4:43. That didn't help me shake that odd feeling, so I looked at the timer on the microwave (since I normally don't clear the timer when I pull food out early) and it said 1:15 on the timer. It was dark in the kitchen cause the bulbs in the light on the ceiling sometimes wiggle loose over time, so I had to re-screw it in. The thing that really woke me up was the type of dish I put the left overs in. I don't own dishes like the one that was in my dream.

This time, I was awake and I was sure of it. What really freaks me out, is that everything was the EXACT same. The time on the oven, the timer on the microwave, even the lightbulb were the exact same as when I really woke up and actually made the food.

Has this happened to anyone else? Where "reality" and the false awakening are SO similar, if not the exact same? Is there a name for this?

Thanks in advance for any answers/feedback

fiction

Re: False Awakening

Postby fiction » 05 Mar 2016 14:38

Just dont be a puss. It´s actually a great way to get into a lucid dream, next time it will happen, you will probably know. You can also just count your fingers and you simply know if you are dreaming or not. This is actually the way i got into my first real lucid dream. So just enjoy what happens :D

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 05 Mar 2016 22:30

Some people's dreams become more and more realistic as they get further into lucid dreaming, so that could be what's happening with you. There probably are better reality checks if the clocks don't work, though finger counting may not be very reliable either, considering how convincing the scene was. You might try something decidedly impossible; attempt a superpower, test physics. Then again, maybe you just have to wait for something weird like the wrong dishes, and then use that to launch a lucid dream.

Kadokane109

Postby Kadokane109 » 05 Mar 2016 22:52

Having a lucid dream isn't a problem for me. I can do it, more or less, frequently and with some sort of regularity. What I was getting at, is that my "false awakening" was exactly like "reality."

In my dream before the False awakening, I was eating a meal. And I thought to my self, "That's a good idea, I'm going to wake up and get something to eat."
Then I had the false awakening. Went through that whole thing, and then when I actually woke up, Everything in my false awakening dream happened in reality. The clocks read the same, the timer read the same. I even had to screw in the kitchen light bulb.

It was more or less like Deja Vu, but in a false awakening dream. What really gets me is why were the times on the clock and the microwave timer the same in the dream, and in reality? That's what I was getting at.

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 06 Mar 2016 01:56

When I decided this morning I wanted to wake at 7 am, I found myself waking at precisely that time. Your body's internal clock is fantastic, and I believe it used this knowledge (as well as a deeply hidden memory of what time was left on the microwave, and the probable status of the lightbulb) to make your false reality more realistic. This is what I meant. As false awakenings are a type of (non-lucid) dream, and dreams can access information we don't even consciously know we possess, they can produce some pretty fascinating results.

Kadokane109

Postby Kadokane109 » 06 Mar 2016 04:44

I see.

Thank you for the feedback Purple. I appreciate it. :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Apr 2016 22:49

if things are exactly the same, it could actually be in OBE and not a dream thou of cause dreams are capable of doing everything, even mimicing real life and reality checks can fail. My dreams can be very realistic too.

False awakenings are very commonly just like real life hence why most people even when their waking minds may enter the experience, may not realise they are having an FA still or question the reality as its just like real life. (my FAs are the same as real life usually when Ive had them, I once had a succession of 8-11 FAs straight and every time couldnt tell what is what to the point when I finally was awake, I didnt know if it was another FA or not.. horrible experience).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”