how do i control my lucid dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Ambriel

how do i control my lucid dreams?

Postby Ambriel » 27 Mar 2016 19:05

Hi! So I'm more or less new to the lucid dreaming world. I have had them in the past but never for very long, as I would wake myself up with excitement. However, about a month ago, I started doing research and started practicing some of the techniques which I found. Just last night, I had my first lucid dream in a while. I did not get over-excited and I did not wake myself up, which I'm proud of. I immediately proceeded to jump out of a tall building because I wanted to fly but I just ended up falling as i realized, have no idea how to actually control my dreams. This is something I hadn't really considered because I assumed it would be easy. Apparently it isn't... Accepting that I'd have to do some research before returning, I went back to my previous dream and let go of the lucidity. Does anyone have tips or tricks for controlling a lucid dream?? If you do, I'd love to hear them!! :D

berggg

Re: how do i control my lucid dreams?

Postby berggg » 05 Apr 2016 08:44

It's all about expectations. If you believe you can fly, you can. If you don't, you can't. It's that easy. Flying in lucid dreams always came easy for me. Maybe it's because I've had flying dreams before I had lucid dreams. I just know it's possible. However other activities are much harder for me in lucid dreams. There are many things I want to do in my lucid dreams. But to succeed it's not enought to want it. You have to believe you can. Or even better. As Morpheus said to Neo in the movie Matrix: Don't think you can. Know you can!

Remind yourself both when awake and in lucid dreams that anything is possible in dreams. Because that is the truth!

yosa2

Postby yosa2 » 21 Apr 2016 02:21

In a lucid dream, if a dirt road your driving down is a , hold on bridge, turn back, islands, wheres my car, shit im swimming, shark, WAKE UP. Thats me in a panic, in a lucid dream, you dont want a rhetoric on a bad one. Controlling a dream is a feat, it involves a mindset and a state of mind, some times exterior sound, my favorite way to sleep is to movies.

Skippy23000

Postby Skippy23000 » 21 Apr 2016 11:23

MaY I make a suggestion? While one's mind set is important as has already been stated, why control it at all?
As soon as you realize you are dreaming, just ask the dream (or as Robert Waggoner describes as the consciousness behind the dream) "Show me what this dream represents." Or, "What is it this dream represents to me?" Just surrender to the dream and let it unfold. If you feel you are going to lose the lucidity, practice the "spinning" technique as describe by Stephen LaBerge to maintain the dream.

If you see a bridge with a hole in it, IT'S YOUR bridge. Maybe the "hole" in the bridge is telling you there are holes in your thinking or your plans and you need to rethink your journey? Instead of trying to get rid of the hole, ask the dream "WHAT DO YOU REPRESENT? If you try to change the hole, your just avoiding a potential problem the dream is pointing out to you.

"To dream that you are crossing a bridge may signify an important decision or a critical junction in your life. This decision will prove to be a positive change filled with prosperity and wealth in the horizon. Bridges represent a transitional period in your life where you will be moving on to a new stage. If the bridge is over water, then it suggests that your transition will be an emotional one. If you fall off the bridge and into the water, then the dream indicates that you are letting your emotions hold you back and prevent you from moving forward. Alternatively, the bridge may indicate that you are trying to "bridge" or connect two things together."

That is just a possible way of looking at the symbolism for "bridge." Look at it in the context of what is happening in YOUR life. As I said, I'm only offering a suggestion.

Skippy

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Apr 2016 00:31

I lucid dream very often, and still can't fly. In the past week I too jumped out of a tall building to my 'death' which was fun.

I don't know who started the rumor that all lucid dreamers fly or have a need to fly. I certainly don't and will always get caught up in trees or tangled in telephone wires when I try. I know it's a 'mental block', but you can still do all sorts of other things.

As for more control, I just skimmed the responses briefly and saw the word, EXPECTATION. Yup, I agree with that!

What's stopping you? I know for me, it's a fear of heights. You may wonder why I jumped out of a tall building? Well, I've got balls, and know what exposure therapy is all about.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Apr 2016 00:41

Skippy23000 wrote:If the bridge is over water, then it suggests that your transition will be an emotional one.

When is a bridge not over water?
Isn't that the whole point of a bridge?

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 24 Apr 2016 02:49

HAGART wrote:
Skippy23000 wrote:If the bridge is over water, then it suggests that your transition will be an emotional one.

When is a bridge not over water?
Isn't that the whole point of a bridge?

:lol:

I guess overpasses may be considered a type of bridge but... yeah. Mostly water. (There's an air of "I'm getting a 'J' name..." here.)

Hey, what does it mean when the bridge is a big red tube?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Apr 2016 12:04

I forgot about overpasses.

In any rate, a bridge is always crossing an obstacle below of some kind, so they must have significance in dreams for sure. I bet water does too, now that I think about it. I bet it even makes a difference whether the water is a still lake, a tumultuous ocean, or a rapid river. It makes sense that the state of the water reflects our emotional state.

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 24 Apr 2016 15:55

HAGART wrote:I bet it even makes a difference whether the water is a still lake, a tumultuous ocean, or a rapid river. It makes sense that the state of the water reflects our emotional state.

Yes, this also brings one back to looking at the specifics given by their own mind, rather than broad associations that are roughly accurate on average. As you can see, I'm a little skeptical of interpretation being provied without justification for canned responses, or consideration of the context in which a particular symbol arose. I regret my excess snark in previous comments, though; it makes sense that an obstacle would represent an obstacle.

Still, there's a way such things are often presented that rubs me the wrong way. As a rule, I'd much rather get more questions to direct inward than "answers" which wrap things up neatly before they've been thoroughly dissected.

(Note that I am not referring to Skippy23000, who presented the quote more as "here's an idea that may jumpstart the investigation of your own mind.")

MegaVrund789

Postby MegaVrund789 » 24 Apr 2016 20:59

Before you run, walk.
similarly,do whats possible in reality then jump to the impossibles!

HOPE THAT HELPS!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”