Speaking to the conscious awareness behind the dream

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
Skippy23000

Speaking to the conscious awareness behind the dream

Postby Skippy23000 » 31 Mar 2016 00:14

Robert Waggoner in his book Lucid Dreams: Gateway to the Inner-self suggested directing your questions to the consciousness awareness BEHIND the dream, not the dream characters themselves. Apparently it has worked wonderfully well for many lucid dreamers. But what about our hypagogic imagery before we fall asleep? I tried this today.
3/30/2016
This was not a lucid dream.
I am relaxing in bed trying to go deep into my subconscious. I begin to get hypnagogic images.
I decide to ask the consciousness behind the imagery to show me something different that I need to see, the way might do in Lucid Dreaming. I Immediately fell into a short dream.
I am dealing with an alligator or maybe it was a crocodile. I wrestle with it until I have it over my shoulder. I am carrying it on my shoulder and it bites the small metal lamp I have on the desk. It lets go of it. It is suddenly a lizard now and I am holding it in my hand by the neck trying not to let it bite me. I am actually trying to push my thumb into its head thereby crushing the damn thing.
http://www.shamanicjourney.com/lizard-power-animal-symbol-of-dreaming-and-conservation

By Ina Woolcott
Through myth and legend Lizard is associated with the dream time. When we dream, we imagine different futures and decide which we will materialise. Dreams contain some of the subtlest perceptions of the mind of which we may not be conscious.
Lizard helps us see the importance of respecting and remembering our dreams. Lizard medicine is the companion of every day waking reality, where our dreams are studied before they are manifested physically. Pay attention to your dreams, as they reveal to us what we are not aware of when we are awake. Dreams show us our fears and desires. It is suggested that you keep a journal of your dreams, to be studied. Especially the symbolic and recurring ones, lizard shows us hidden messages in the dream state.
http://dreamatico.com/crocodile.html

Crocodile is perceived as a threat by most people. However, it is also a symbol of deceit and protection. If you see it in your dreams, you are being shown an aspect of your own personality that you are not aware of. It could be hidden power or talent or your negative emotions. If a crocodile symbolizes your fears, it is also a symbol of wisdom. A crocodile in dreams expresses a hidden enemy in your life. It is a warning for you to find out this enemy to stabilize your life.

I am relaxing in bed trying to go deep into my subconscious. I begin to get hypnagogic images.
I decide to ask the consciousness behind the imagery to show me something different that I need to see, the way might do in Lucid Dreaming. Immediately fell into a short dream.
I am dealing with an alligator or maybe it was a crocodile. I wrestle with it until I have it over my shoulder. I am carrying it on my shoulder and it bites the small metal lamp I have on the desk. It lets go of it. It is suddenly a lizard now and I am holding it in my hand by the neck trying not to let it bite me. I am actually trying to push my thumb into its head thereby crushing it.
http://www.shamanicjourney.com/lizard-power-animal-symbol-of-dreaming-and-conservation

By Ina Woolcott
Through myth and legend Lizard is associated with the dream time. When we dream, we imagine different futures and decide which we will materialise. Dreams contain some of the subtlest perceptions of the mind of which we may not be conscious.
Lizard helps us see the importance of respecting and remembering our dreams. Lizard medicine is the companion of every day waking reality, where our dreams are studied before they are manifested physically. Pay attention to your dreams, as they reveal to us what we are not aware of when we are awake. Dreams show us our fears and desires. It is suggested that you keep a journal of your dreams, to be studied. Especially the symbolic and recurring ones, lizard shows us hidden messages in the dream state.
http://dreamatico.com/crocodile.html

Crocodile is perceived as a threat by most people. However, it is also a symbol of deceit and protection. If you see it in your dreams, you are being shown an aspect of your own personality that you are not aware of. It could be hidden power or talent or your negative emotions. If a crocodile symbolizes your fears, it is also a symbol of wisdom. A crocodile in dreams expresses a hidden enemy in your life. It is a warning for you to find out this enemy to stabilize your life.

Summerlander

Re: Speaking to the conscious awareness behind the dream

Postby Summerlander » 11 Apr 2016 12:56

Robert Waggoner in his book Lucid Dreams: Gateway to the Inner-self suggested directing your questions to the consciousness awareness BEHIND the dream, not the dream characters themselves. Apparently it has worked wonderfully well for many lucid dreamers. But what about our hypagogic imagery before we fall asleep? I tried this today.

Harking back to when I read his book is making me realise the parallels between his practical application of lucid dreaming and meditation. Seeking out the awareness behind the dream seems akin to meeting our inherent pristine awareness in the practice of Dzogchen. The hypnagogic imagery would be mere distortions of the very awareness you are searching in its pure form. But I differ in opinion to Waggoner in that I don't think the awareness has any intrinsic wisdom. Rather, I believe it's merely a useful vantage point for introspection and analysing percepts. This, in turn, can lead to insight and wisdom. You should give 'The Shocking Truth' thread a go--see what you think about the information we've gathered there so far ... :)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”