WILD question

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
samerak32

WILD question

Postby samerak32 » 11 Apr 2016 06:27

I've tried the WILD method a couple of times but it didn't work yet because I don't understand it fully. reading about the technique, it said that after a while you will start seeing images popping up, but you shouldn't interact with them, and then one of those images will become your surrounding, and you'll be in that dream. my question is that since I'm concentrating on not interacting with any image that comes to me, and I just send it on it's way, will I not do the same and stop the dream scene from forming? when should I stop letting the images that come to my head pass and start embracing the image that's going to become my dream scene?

ThePurple

Re: WILD question

Postby ThePurple » 12 Apr 2016 04:29

This is an interesting question which I hope the experienced WILDers here see and offer their insights to. I am decidedly inexperienced with WILDs, so take the following with a grain (or a bucket) of salt.

Two thoughts.

Regarding seeing images pop up, I assume you are referring to those that arise from watching the random visual noise patterns in the darkness behind your eyelids? Someone correct me if I'm deluded here, but this seems a distinct phenomenon from "mental images" that feel more like daydreams. Of course they're both products of the mind, but there does seem to be a subjective perceptual difference, with those originating with true (though sparse, and rapidly distorted) visual stimuli being preferred for this process.

Secondly, I think you are creating a bit of a false dichotomy between embracement and non-engagement. It is true that you do not want to focus hard on anything before there is a fully-formed dreamscape, but it's not about "sending it on its way" either. The goal is a broad, fluid awareness; constant, but not fixed. Have you ever stared out lazily over a landscape, a sunset, the sea? Think of how you can watch such things without any particular focal point, instead paying attention to the whole panoramic visual field. This is the aim with dream entry too, to casually observe, and allow (but not force) whatever imagery arises to spread, surround, and envelop you.

samerak32

Postby samerak32 » 12 Apr 2016 18:58

Staring lazily without focus, i like the idea, i never thiught about it that way, i think that s what i was missing, thanks :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Apr 2016 11:47

samerak32 wrote:I've tried the WILD method a couple of times but it didn't work yet because I don't understand it fully. reading about the technique, it said that after a while you will start seeing images popping up, but you shouldn't interact with them, and then one of those images will become your surrounding, and you'll be in that dream.
my question is that since I'm concentrating on not interacting with any image that comes to me, and I just send it on it's way,

Any imagines if in the minds eye one can simply just observe and let them flow or I use images/hypnagogia outside of myself to actually pull myself into a LD. Images are a good thing to be getting so you shouldnt be trying to get rid of them or send them on their way as you may prevent yourself from having a LD.

there is also no set technique to WILD, there are lots of different ways of doing it. Not all even get images before a LD.

What is the right time to try to interact with any images, depends on the individual and you will learn via experience and practice how they are best to be used. Then can be used to pull one into a LD while others do better if they dont try to interact with them but simply observe. (I personally like to use them to help me get into an LD if I get them, use them like a LD entry point).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”