First time WILD almost worked?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
joelworsham

First time WILD almost worked?

Postby joelworsham » 13 Apr 2016 13:04

Hey guys. Summary of my background:

I'm 25, want to lucid dream but have never tried. I've always had really great dream recall, almost every night. I journal them frequently. Many, many times I become aware that I'm in a dream without trying, but it's not lucid. I think it's more that I'm dreaming that I know I'm in a dream, rather than really knowing. When I was younger, however, I could use this to force myself to wake up on command.

Anyways, I tried yesterday to go lucid via WILD. Also, throughout the day, I've begun to do my reality checks. So, I was tired at about 10:30PM and went to bed. I laid on my back, in the corpse position, closed my eyes, relaxed my body, and then began to focus on not moving, staring at my "minds eye" (I've always been good at that and able to easily see the colors and stuff), and began breathing in for 4, hold for 7, out for 4. I did this and was shocked how quickly I became relaxed. Very slowly (maybe 10-20min) my body got "heavier" and a little tingly. I was very relaxed. Then, all of the sudden, this feeling "flowed" down my body. It was intense. My entire body began "buzzing" and tingling and felt numb. I was sure that I had to be going into sleep paralysis. I was excited. My heart began RACING. I could hear and feel it thumping hard throughout my entire body and the colors became a little more vivid. Then, not even 10 sec later, it died down, and went away. I was left, anxious, jittery, heart racing, and not relaxed. I was wide awake... I tried to go into it again with no avail. I even woke up at 5AM and tried and didn't even get close. Instead, all I could achieve was a racing heart and anxiety.

What am I doing wrong? Why did I "jolt" out of it with a racing heart and anxiety? Is it simply that I need more practice or am I doing something wrong?

Skippy23000

Re: First time WILD almost worked?

Postby Skippy23000 » 14 Apr 2016 15:21

Hey Joel:
Your doing nothing wrong. Just keep practicing what your doing and greater success
will come. But, don't confine yourself to just one method. Make a habit of doing some
visualization exercises during the day. I would close my eyes and imagine that I was
getting out of bed (you can do this in a chair as well) and walking around my room,
remembering where things were, and, in my minds eye touching them. I would imagine
walking out my from apartment door into the hallway and down the stairs that led outside.
You can expand on that with the intention that you are going to visit someone. Imagine
that you are flying through the air over the streets. See in your minds eye where the buildings
are, the stop signs, familiar land marks etc. SEE the front door of the house you are visiting.
Knock on the door. Doing this with intent builds HUGE levels of concentration. I did this
once, going to visit a friend of mine. A few days later I ran into her at WalMart and she asked me
why I didn't knock on the door when I stopped by. She saw me, she said in the drive way but when
she went out to meet me I WASN'T THERE! Freaky. The point is that heavy duty prolonged
meditation and concentration exercises that I just mentioned tend to bring about the "buzzing"
sensations your looking for. It seems to be an artifact of the exercises. Sometimes other things
happen as well.
Skippy

joelworsham

Postby joelworsham » 15 Apr 2016 16:08

Thanks! I've never thought about practicing visualizations like that throughout the day.

When I'm attempting to WILD, should I be watching the Hypnagogia in my minds eye until something happens? Like until SP? Or should I be ALREADY starting to visualize things like that? I worry that if I do start to visualize things like that, I will just fall asleep and forget about being lucid.

Skippy23000

Postby Skippy23000 » 15 Apr 2016 23:04

I would not worry about the Hypnagogia.Just
keep doing your reality checks. And continue throughout
the day to say, THIS IS A DREAM. I am dreaming. It will eventually
carry over into your dreaming. Practice meditation before going to
bed. Taking a melatonin along with 50mgs of B6 can't hurt.
Just be patient and don't lose heart. I have had many dry spells
and then several lucid dreams in a two week period. It will happen
when It happens.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Apr 2016 11:25

joelworsham wrote:Thanks! I've never thought about practicing visualizations like that throughout the day.

When I'm attempting to WILD, should I be watching the Hypnagogia in my minds eye until something happens? Like until SP? Or should I be ALREADY starting to visualize things like that? I worry that if I do start to visualize things like that, I will just fall asleep and forget about being lucid.

visualization doesnt work for everyone with LD, it all depends on some factors with the individual. For some it just keeps them awake and their waking mind too active.

In your case with your first experience, I believe you lost it as you got too excited about what was going on so hence you lost the state, you need to hold that relaxation and keep your brain out of things a bit more to stay relaxed and allow the dream to start to flow. If you get into a LD and get too excited, you could end up loosing that too, so practice staying calm.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Apr 2016 11:31

joelworsham wrote:Thanks! I've never thought about practicing visualizations like that throughout the day.

You'll need to experiment to work out what works best for you. Remember you also got to allow yourself to get into like a sleep state and not just stay in an meditative kind of state watching things (I used to be able to get in such a state all night and actually just watch my dreaming and thoughts without really getting into the dream, no fun really). so the biggest thing is to stay relaxed.

I dont tend to get my hypnagogia in my minds eye but rather if I ever get it (which is rare I usually go into LD without it), I sometimes have used it to pull me into the LD by immersing myself within it or making it part of my scene.

eg if I get something like light and dark shadows. I'll focus on the shadows and imagine getting closer to them till they actually become things eg a dark shadow may become a shed I can enter. or a patch of patterned colour I imagined it getting bigger, till I found it was suddenly I was somewhere with it being wall paper on a wall around me. So dont be too controlling, allow the dream happen and play out so you can be in a LD. (there can be a bit of an art in going from hypnagogia to into a LD).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”