Half Lucid

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Doctor699

Half Lucid

Postby Doctor699 » 15 Apr 2016 01:54

As a beginner to the wonderful dimension of lucid dreaming I've had some problems. Firstly realizing i'm in a dream, getting myself too worked up and excited and waking up, wide awake. The other issue is becoming lucid, being calm, and then the lucidity fades away and the subconscious dream takes over again.

However my question is what happened last night, which is, i became lucid in doing my reality check, but the dream immediately dissolved into a black void. This reality check was the holding the nose shut and being able to breathe through it. I found that my hand and face were still in the dream dimension, but the rest of my body was back in bed. So what can i do in this situation, and how can i step into another dream without loosing this lucidity?

Pilgrim

Re: Half Lucid

Postby Pilgrim » 15 Apr 2016 04:19

In a similar situation, what had worked for me is to embrace the sensation and place of the bed. I hold still, and usually discover it is a false awakening. I then try to come up out if my perceived body as if climbing to an out of body experience. Then, I create motion in the new dream body as by falling or flying through the ceiling. You will probably have to experiment, but I have discovered that false awakenings are frequent in situations as you describe. (It is not a real OBE for me in my opinion.)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Apr 2016 05:32

Don't think of it as another dimension, but just another way of thinking, that we all have been having all along.

(so annoyingly terse, I know)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 15 Apr 2016 17:47

All very common issues.

The black void, a result of vision being the first sense to disconnect and switch to the waking world, can be addressed by using your other senses to keep your awareness in the dream world and bring other senses back. Touch seems to be the last to go, as you noticed when your face and hand were still there. Use this. Follow your skin and feel the rest of your body, reach out to objects where you saw them a moment ago and feel that they are still there. Rub your hands and hear the sound it makes, expect to hear other dream sounds... Consider smelling or tasting things... This will often bring vision back, but if not, try spinning with open arms, feeling the sensation of twirling, and expecting the next scene to be a dream. (But know that it could come on the form of a false awakening, so check your state when you "wake.")

The above also helps with the issue of waking up in excitement, giving you focus and stability. To prevent fading into a non-lucid dream, just repeat every few seconds that this is a dream.

Doctor699

Postby Doctor699 » 19 Apr 2016 15:15

Sounds like very good ideas. Hope it helps next time i get into such a state. Using other senses such as touch, smell, and sound to recreate the dream sounds very practical. Wish i had thought of the false awakening thing as well when it happened. That probably would have been the easiest way to get lucid, from a false awakening. Thank you ;) 8-)

Enra Traz

Postby Enra Traz » 19 Apr 2016 17:22

The rest of your body was not back in bed--it only seemed like it was. You were still, in fact, dreaming the whole thing. All that remained was for you to get out of bed--not a real bed, but rather, the same kind of phenomenon experienced in false awakenings as Pilgrim postulated--and lucidly perambulate the dream world again.

ThePurple

Postby ThePurple » 19 Apr 2016 17:48

Doctor699 wrote: That probably would have been the easiest way to get lucid, from a false awakening.

Yes, it's pretty useful when it works.

Be prepared for your mind to try a few tricks, though. Maybe others get their wits about them easily in those moments, but I certainly feel like a moron more often than not. :lol:

As an example, the other day I was in bed after trying to get back to a lucid dream I was awoken from, and I checked my hands to see if they were normal. I think they're fine, one is just a little blue because I was cutting off the circulation. Then it's not just a little blue, each fingertip has this bright blue velvety iridescence. This is definitely not normal, but as I had already decided that it wasn't a dream, I remained unaware.

Moral: slow down, think critically, and know how to laugh at yourself :lol:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Apr 2016 18:30

Whatever part of our mind that thinks critically can switch on or off, back and forth so easily. I can't tell you how many times I've been duped by false awakenings, or lose lucidity after I'm in a lucid dream. I was reviewing my past dream journal and counting all the times I've been lucid, and realized, I've actually had more false awakenings than lucid dreams. In fact, so many of my lucid dreams become false awakenings now, I've gotten use to it, and reality check to make sure (if I remember to do that habit), but it can still fool me.

It's strange, and even a bit scary, how we can have complete amnesia of our waking self like that, essentially becoming a totally different person, without the same sense of self we have when awake.

It goes to show how fragile our minds are. Do you really think you're fully awake right now? Do you, Neo?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”