Dreams about my parents where I'm aware that it's a dream

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
Zatherz

Dreams about my parents where I'm aware that it's a dream

Postby Zatherz » 16 Apr 2016 10:09

So in the last year I've been having a lot of weird dreams. It started out when I was sitting late at night with my laptop. I think I accidentally fell asleep. I felt vibrations around my body as I woke up? Well, kind of. I was actually dreaming. I was in my house, lying on the couch in a different room than the one I was sleeping is. Where I'm sleeping is a computer.

In the dream, my parents were going shopping. We didn't have much of a conversation if I remember correctly. They just went out and I was watching TV. However, at one point I wanted to move from the room... and what I saw shocked me. My mom was sitting on the computer. After she went out of the house. Somehow, I knew what happened. I went back. I closed my eyes. I hoped she wouldn't notice and that somehow the issue would fix by itself. But it didn't; eventually she came to me (smelled my fear?) and started doing... weird things to me. I couldn't see it, but I felt vibrations everywhere on my body as I popped back into reality.

I had another dream, some time later. I was lying on the bed (in the room I was sleeping in) and I was hearing my parents talking in the other room (the one with the TV, where I "woke up" in the last dream). I knew that something's wrong. I didn't move. I just closed my eyes and lied there, again. However, at some point I decided to open my eyes and I got scared shitless. Something, some creature or entity went from my parents' room (which was on the right of me) to the room that was on the left of me, through my room. Holding a fucking pillow in front of it's head. I woke up soon after.

Ever since these happened, from time to time I'd get nightmares still, but they'd always be related. At one point I didn't sleep for a long time (again) and I had a series of not one, but two nightmares the same night. These ones were bizzare. In one of them, I was in some kind of house that I assumed to be my own. It was dark, I couldn't see nearly anything. I went to a room that had a light switch. This is where I realized. There's no light switch. Automatically after that came the realization of it being a dream. I don't remember much after that. I soon woke up. The other dream I don't remember at all, but deep in my head I remember that it was similiar.

If I remember correctly I had at least one more related dream that I remembered nothing of. All I know is that so far, all the dreams were introduced by vibrations around my body.

Today, I had another similiar dream - however, either there were no vibrations this time or they were muted by the music playing in my earphones. I woke up in my parents' room again. Now, a long time ago I've learned of a genius thing - since you can't feel pain in a dream, you can check if you're dreaming or not by just slightly pinching the skin on your arm. Somehow, this information stuck in my head so well, that I was able to think about it in the dream. I instantly check if it's a dream - it is. So I go into my usual defensive state - I close my eyes and stop moving. I pinch myself a while after that - I'm still in a dream. While after - still. Eventually, I decided to open my eyes. I don't remember exactly what I saw right after opening my eyes.

But I remembered some features of the dream. After waking up, I immediately noted them on my computer. At one point, I looked back at my mom. I wasn't scared of looking at my dad in the dream for some reason, but I think because of the previous dreams I was scared of looking at my mom. But I did. What I saw is my real mom's face, but distorted. It wasn't super scary like I died right there out of getting spooked, but it was weird. Her face was like you'd make a picture of her, paste it in an image editor and put the brightness up to nearly max. For some reason, that didn't scare me enough to decide to go into my "defensive position".

Eventually, like out of nowhere, I had a computer in front of me. I don't remember anything from it, except one single thing - the background. It was a woman, with either a dress or a blanket, lying on a bed (?). The woman had a weird face expression. It didn't seem sexual. A while after that, the dream (or at least my memory of it) cuts off.

I've noticed a common thing about this - it's that it seems like all the dreams come from sleep deprivation. The one today, despite the fact that I didn't fall asleep at a late hour - came on saturday. I have a very messed up schedule. I go to sleep at very late hours, wake up early to school (around 6-7 AM) and I make homework after I wake up, instead of the day earlier. I know. It's messed up. But it's hard to change it, because I got used to it. I'm trying.

Another common theme is obviously my parents. I'm living in a good family - not a perfect family, but a good family. We do have arguments from time to time, but I think that's usual. There were moments when the arguments went way out of hand (I do not want to explain), but otherwise I do feel loved by my parents.

I also live with my little sister, which I just realized as I was writing this did not appear in any of these dreams. I had an idea that maybe the dreams come from me fearing about my parents finding out that I'm late at night on the phone/computer. Since they both come when I'm mid sleep deprived and they're only about my parents (clearly not about the people in the house, because of the lack of my sister in my dreams as I menteioned earlier).

I've been thinking recently that this may be a setup, a sort of introduction into lucid dreaming. I'm aware of the fact that I'm dreaming (I made it a habit of pinching myself every time when I wake up) and if I remember correctly I actually managed to "jump" dreams before (on the day where I said I had two dreams in one night, I think in one of these dreams the environment changed at some point). I haven't tried imagining things changing yet, mainly because I can't get my brain to remember it.

I hope that I can at least get a possible interpretation from you. What method do you recommend to remember things in dreams, like to try and change the environment? Should I get help from a doctor?

HAGART

Re: Dreams about my parents where I'm aware that it's a drea

Postby HAGART » 18 Apr 2016 06:28

If you need a doctor, than so do all of us lucid dreamers. ;)

I will admit, that I only skimmed through all that, but know the feeling very well. Sometimes it's a vibration, or a buzzing in the ears, or even a sinking or floating feeling that we feel during the onset of REM Atonia. We are hardly ever aware of it, but if you are sleep deprived and fall asleep quickly, you may still be aware during that state.

I've had many false awakenings, and also false sleepenings, when I'm trying to sleep, but realize, it's not real.

Reading about your first account, it reminded me of what happened last night to me. This is from my dream journal:

"I felt my body go completely limp and then slide downward out of bed toward my feet, and then immediately was back in the same position in bed again, and I would relax and let it happen again. I heard footsteps as my mother entered the room and she asked if I was awake. I just muttered, “nooo”, and felt like I could barely get the words out. I didn't know if I was hearing reality and the dream at the same time, but it was enough to let her know and she left. (After awakening, I verified that she never entered my room at all).

I allowed myself to go limp and drag out of bed again, but still be back in the same position again. I then decided to take matters into my own hands and when I felt myself being dragged out, I quickly got up and started to walk. I knew I wasn't seeing reality because it was pitch black, but at the same time, I didn't know if I was sleep walking either. I continued walking to where the doorway should be, but I bumped into a wall. I then turned left and felt my way through the doorway and upstairs. It was all very dark, but I saw a vague image of the bathroom and I thought mom was in there. I pushed open the door, but there was nobody there. I continued walking around in the darkness with only my sense of touch active, calling out for anyone to show up. I then realized that if this dream continues, I bet it will be full of dream characters and I won't ever get back to an empty place again, so I should take advantage of it. I think I willed a flame from my two fingers and then stuck it in my mouth. (I like to play with the elements like that lately and have made fire and water come out of my hands before, which is pretty cool, and great fun when there is nothing else in the dream to manipulate)

Then I forget how, but I was back in bed again, and got up a 2nd time, again in darkness. I made it to the door, and had a pretty good mental layout of the house despite not being able to see. I got to the steps and could feel the rail and I went upstairs, again. I forget a lot of what happened, but this time I noticed that the kitchen was lit with a yellowish hue, as if from indoor lighting while it was still pitch black outside. Other rooms where still in complete darkness, so I just kept walking around until the dream would set up and stabilize on its own. "

That's a great example of how a lucid dream can start, and can sometimes be stubborn. It eventually did materialize more as my senses became active. I've had many other transitions into lucid dreams through that mysterious phase state of mind, and like snowflakes, no two have been exactly the same.

I was sleep deprived last night, and fell asleep very quickly, perhaps too quickly, which explains how we can be aware during that phase of sleep we get every night. I also notice that many of my lucid dreams occur after REM Rebound when we lose sleep for a few days and then catch up again. I know a few lucid dreamers, myself included, who don't have a strict sleep schedule and suspect there is a correlation.

I hope that helps reassure you that there is nothing wrong, and you are not alone. And in fact, may have a gift!
Last edited by HAGART on 18 Apr 2016 08:27, edited 3 times in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Apr 2016 07:58

I've read your post completely and thoroughly now. You are experiencing the classic sleep paralysis phase state. I just happen to have gotten use to it, so I don't fear it. (Knock on wood... hearing footsteps and sensing someone else in the room with me, will still spook me sometimes, of course). I hate the term, "sleep paralysis" because it has a strong fearful connotation I don't want others who are learning to lucid dream even know about because it's quite rare. I just call it REM Atonia or a phase state of mind.

But I must say, I've had it, just like you have mentioned. While in that state, emotions are amplified, and if you feel even just a little spooked by it, as anyone who has never experienced it before would, then it certainly can become very scary. The only thing I can suggest is get back on the horse and learn to ride it.

We often sense an entity during that phase state of mind, and sometimes it's a shapeless shadow, but other times, it was my own mother and I even attacked her and vice versa on a few occasions. In fact, very frequently my mother shows up during that state of mind, and even false awakenings, which are basically the same. I don't know why either. Maybe we do have mother issues, to be honest. Either that or it's a common archetype character in our dreams during that emotionally vulnerable state. I don't know. It would take others to report NOT seeing their mothers all the time to verify that. Maybe it's just us.

Zatherz

Postby Zatherz » 19 Apr 2016 22:25

I don't think it's sleep paralysis. As I mentioned, in the dream I wake up in a different room (still in the house, but in a different bed). I am able to move. I can open and close my eyes, and I can do a reality check (testing for pain). As far as I know, sleep paralysis would mean that my brain is woken up before other parts of my body are.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Apr 2016 23:25

Whatever it is, these accounts are extremely similar to what I have tried not to dub, and yet did, Sleep Paralysis. I don't know what to call it, but have had very similar experiences to these:

Zatherz wrote:I had another dream, some time later. I was lying on the bed (in the room I was sleeping in) and I was hearing my parents talking in the other room (the one with the TV, where I "woke up" in the last dream). I knew that something's wrong. I didn't move. I just closed my eyes and lied there, again. However, at some point I decided to open my eyes and I got scared shitless. Something, some creature or entity went from my parents' room (which was on the right of me) to the room that was on the left of me, through my room. Holding a fucking pillow in front of it's head. I woke up soon after.

Zatherz wrote: I closed my eyes. I hoped she wouldn't notice and that somehow the issue would fix by itself. But it didn't; eventually she came to me (smelled my fear?) and started doing... weird things to me. I couldn't see it, but I felt vibrations everywhere on my body as I popped back into reality.

There's another phrase that gets thrown around called, "dream body". While in a dream, even during 'sleep paralysis' you can still move most of the time, even if just a little. Sometimes we even get a dual perception of our physical body and also move in the dream which feels very real, as if moving in real life. There's nothing paranormal about it. We all have proprioception when awake, and also in vivid dreams. In my dream I shared, I still had doubts whether I was sleep walking or not, after I 'broke free' and started moving in the dream because it can feel so real.

Let's not call it sleep paralysis. You were in a bonafied lucid dream. All you had to do was get up and walk around and explore. Easier said than done sometimes, I know.

Return to “Dream Interpretation”