Having Troubles lucid dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
samson123x

Having Troubles lucid dreaming

Postby samson123x » 18 Apr 2016 14:22

Im on my 5th day of trying to lucid dream, im really good at the beginning part of the steps, i dont move at all, i listen to binural music for 8 hours and i repeat the phase " i know im going to dream" , so last night i was laying in my bed for a good few hours just being still, letting my body go through all these strange feelings, the typical tingling , numbness, heavy ness of body parts, legs , arms , eye lids, mouth, i had my legs crossed cause i was comfy that way and i found after those few hours of being in that same position my legs felt like they were on fire, a high heat intensity, but i ignored it. also after those few hours my body was doing the weird movements that i wasnt controlling, my tongue and mouth would move randomly, my spine would flaten and then contort.

So im having no trouble getting into the first phase of it at all, i can get my body to be asleep and keep my mind active, but thats the problem, my mind kept me from going into dream phase, i can imagine things in my head and kept trying different ways to getting my mind to shut down, but no luck.

what am i doing wrong?
what am i doing right?
or am i just being stupid?
or am i still just in the first steps of trying to lucid dream?

ThePurple

Re: Having Troubles lucid dreaming

Postby ThePurple » 18 Apr 2016 17:05

samson123x wrote: kept trying different ways to getting my mind to shut down

You don't want it to shut down, you want it to remain awake, but focused. In the long term, meditation helps. In the short term, there are a variety of approaches, the most basic being repetitive things such as counting, though care must be taken that you don't lull your mind to sleep. Try a variety to find one that fits.

It also sounds, from all this description, that you're paying an awful lot of attention to your body. This can be helpful in the early stages, particularly during initial relaxation exercises — you are doing them, right? — but beyond that, continued focus on sensory input from the real world will prevent you from experiencing a dreamed one. Exceptions seem to be observing one's breathing, or focusing on a particular point such as a dot on the forehead... note that these limit the attention on the body to a narrow range. Watching hypnagogic imagery or listening to buzzing sounds that seem to originate from within are different, as they seem to bridge real sensory input and the hallucinated (but truly experienced) sensations that will become dream.

I would also remind you that wake-initiated methods are not the only way, and for most not the easiest way, to achieve lucidity. It sounds like you're exhausting yourself... several hours? I don't mean to suggest that you give up completely, but sometimes giving yourself a rest from intense "trying" makes it happen spontaneously. Also, some of the practices involved in dream-initiated approaches are beneficial to any type of lucidity once you achieve it, so I would recommend adding those tools to your kit regardless.

samson123x

Re: Having Troubles lucid dreaming

Postby samson123x » 18 Apr 2016 17:33

it probably is me just focusing on what my body does thats preventing me from entering dream state, the 8 hour music is just to help me relax and meditate, along with careful breathing, i find my mind wonders a lot when i try to focus on my third eye, its unintentional and my mind just thinks of random ideas and such.
the music could be a distraction, i havent tried it yet without that, so ill give that a try too. i always had an active mind while attempting to sleep even before i started the lucid dreaming steps.

Return to “For Beginners”