Physical reality checks problem

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Frisout

Physical reality checks problem

Postby Frisout » 21 Apr 2016 21:53

So to keep it simple, no single Physical reality check has ever worked on me.

Now dont get me wrong, I am a regular (starting) lucid dreamer with around 2 lucid dreams a week.
Every time I get lucid its just because I am questioning my reality by thinking about it: why am I here? What am I doing? What am I going to do? What did I just do? etc.
But no single physical reality check, such as the hand palm push (which I've been told works 90% of the time) has ever worked.

Now here is a funny example:
I've read somewhere to try out making dream characters lucid too, last night I became lucid, I tried to explain a guy who seemed kinda fat to me that this was all a dream, he was laughing at me so I said "I can prove it!" thinking that, now I already know its a dream the check should work.
But no, I tried pushing my hand even when I already knew it was a dream but it didnt work, the guy was staring at me and then run away laughing, pretty fast for his fat body if you ask me but whatever xD.

Now why am I saying all this? Well im just currious if there is a explanation for all this :p
Are my dreams too realistic? Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a dream right now? I would like to know if anyone can help me.

Other physical reality checks I tried without success were:
- breathing with mouth and nose shut
- counting fingers
- pushing trough objects
- watching the time at clocks
- reading text

That is all I could think of to say right now, lets see if anyone with experience has something to say :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

torakrubik

Re: Physical reality checks problem

Postby torakrubik » 23 Apr 2016 01:08

The thing about reality checks is that they only work in dreams if you expect them too. That's why when you practice them, you have to genuinely consider the possibility that you are dreaming. Otherwise, the voice in the back of your head pipes up and says, "Don't be stupid, of course your fingers aren't about to go through your hand." And...they don't.

Much of what happens in the dream world is governed by your expectation. If you are being chased for example, and fear that you won't get away, often your legs stop working properly and you slow right down (That's a common one!). The same principle applies to when you perform a reality check, this is known as a mental block.

In short, you need to suspend your disbelief EVERY time you perform a reality check. Expect it to work, then it will (in the dream world of course, in "reality" your fingers won't go through your palm, but that's exactly the idea you need to do away with.))

I hope this makes sense, feel free to quiz me for anything else on this topic, or any other for that matter :D
Dreaming is my drug

Frisout

Postby Frisout » 23 Apr 2016 07:14

Alright, but how can it be that the check even failed when I was lucid already?
I knew it was a dream and I could do everything, but it still didnt work.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 01 May 2016 01:07

It's possible that you, subconsciously, just weren't expecting it to work, and sometimes that's enough. However there's no need to do reality checks once you are lucid at all! One you are at the lucid stage, I recommend performing some grounding techniques to immerse your senses in the dream world. A good place to start is to scour this website for articles, there are some helpful ones!

P.S. Sorry about the late reply, a little bogged down in exam revision :?
Dreaming is my drug

Frisout

Postby Frisout » 01 May 2016 09:11

I know reality checks are not needed when lucid, but as you can read I did the reality check to convince a dream character I was dreaming.
I've done weirder things then pushing my hands when lucid, but what you said might be the case

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 04 May 2016 11:45

In my haste and excitement to post my own experience from last night, I posted a similar experience. I deleted my post upon seeing yours. I used logic absent the working of reality checks, similar as you wrote. I do have history of reality checks working most of the time, even if only observing that gravity works differently. If reality checks are not working, we cannot do some fun things, such as fly. My failed tests occur in the context of very, very vivid life-like dreams. The more normal things appear, I suppose the mind is inclined to make things work just as real life.

Frisout

Postby Frisout » 04 May 2016 14:07

Well now you made me currious to the experience you wrote and deleted, so feel free to say it here still :D

Pilgrim

Postby Pilgrim » 05 May 2016 05:54

In the dream, I was present outside an old house from childhood. The basis for my being lucid was that I knew that my being there was not rational and that I had no memory as to a trip to this location. Failed test was pushing finger through the opposite palm. Hands also appeared perfectly normal as to digits, etc. Pinched my nose and the air was blocked. Gravity felt as normal. There was no digital clock available to see whether the digits would behave normally. I explained to a dream character why it still must be a dream. (I know this person in real life.). I told the character that perhaps she is having be same dream. This person is scared of lucid dreaming, but if they happen to tell me that they had the same dream, I will let you know.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 May 2016 06:00

as my lucids seem so real, many reality checks wont work for me though I do know its a dream.

eg I cant usually fly, I experienced gaining broken ribs one time when I tired which was horrific
I can have trouble going throu a wall
I have trouble putting finger throu hand
if I hold my nose/mouth I cant breath (I even experienced drowning in a dream which I was fully aware I was lucid in, I ended up having no choice but to manifest an oxygen tank and mask for myself or otherwise I would of had to wake myself up)
writing can appear normal to me.

the check I are able to use thou is looking at my hands to see if they look odd, they usually do. If you looked at yours though looking to see if they looked real rather then looking to see if they look odd, that can affect your reality check.

anyway, I think my reality checks often fail though I know its a dream cause it just appears so real.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”