WBTB

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
MegaVrund789

WBTB

Postby MegaVrund789 » 24 Apr 2016 20:55

Guys can you tell me about wbtb and what you do? please?

ThePurple

Re: WBTB

Postby ThePurple » 27 Apr 2016 17:17

Wake-back-to-bed is not a technique in itself, but a practice which aids other techniques by creating conducive states. Each period of extended sleep contains a number of REM phases (the kind of sleep one dreams in) which are clustered toward the end, in longer and longer segments. The idea is to arouse your conscious mind as these are increasing, so that you may enter one with an awake and aware mind; that is, lucidly.

Some people set alarms for this, but I don't, so I can't tell you which time is best from experience. I've seen suggested everything from 4 to 6 hours after you first go to sleep, some swearing by 4:45 specifically. These are based on studying the rhythm of sleep cycles, which appears to be pretty consistent across individuals, though I don't know if it takes into consideration the speed with which one falls asleep, how exhausted they were, or other factors. The trouble with alarms, particularly if you set it on the early side, is the risk of it waking you from a very deep sleep which just makes you feel terrible and groggy. But, for deep sleepers, it can be a good option, if it is timed well.

As I alluded to, there's another option that I think everyone should give a shot, which is taking the signal from your body. Each REM phase is preceded naturally by very brief awakenings, which people usually forget by morning. If one goes to sleep with an intention to notice and use these, perhaps mentally declaring their request in words, they'll find that they do. Though, if you get up to pee in the middle of the night, you may just need to begin noticing this as an opportunity. (You may also drink lots of water before bed so you have to!)

Once you're awake, by whatever method, do things which raise the alertness of your mind and focus it on your goal to have a lucid dream. I generally use it to read a chapter of a lucid dreaming book, or post to a forum on the subject. ;) If you don't have a plan for what you'd like to do when you become lucid, make one now. You can also do non-LD-specific things if they are mentally stimulating, and meditation is a good option if you can stay awake. (But, do not simply follow your morning routine, check email, browse Facebook or anything that clutters your mind with randomness or the stresses of daily life.) What you do, as well as how long you stay awake, depends greatly on your individual tendencies. If you tend to have an active mind, stick to a few short minutes of calming, focus-based activities before heading back to bed; meditation would be ideal. If you're more likely to realize you've been staring at the wall when the drool hits your knee, maybe you need more active stimulation and more time to wake your mind up.

When you've been up long enough, get back in bed, release any tension, and remind yourself of your plan of action once lucid. What follows is up to you. This for most people the only time WILD techniques work, so that's a good option if you're up for it. Otherwise, aim to have the last thought in your mind as you fall asleep be about lucid dreaming, and you're primed for a DILD.

Skippy23000

Postby Skippy23000 » 28 Apr 2016 11:07

When I get up I read for about 30 mins.
You should probably NOT DRINK COFFEE!
Have a cup of herbal tea. Go back to bed. I even take a melatonin tablet.
Ir's an easy procedure. Whats not always easy is getting up! :lol:
Skippy

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 May 2016 22:19

I drink coffee and its an very effective lucid aid and in some ways as good as anything that I have used
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 May 2016 06:09

Skippy23000 wrote:Ir's an easy procedure. Whats not always easy is getting up!

The snooze button on my alarm clock has a dent in it the size of my fist. :lol:

I hate getting out of bed. It's interesting to stay and experience hypnapompia though. Nobody ever talks about that aspect of dreaming. I should compose a post about it sometime.

Once you realize what that state of mind is, you know how getting out of bed for a bit and waking up, is so important to clear your mind before attempting to lucid dream.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”