First Lucid Dream!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
joelworsham

First Lucid Dream!

Postby joelworsham » 28 Apr 2016 15:24

I did it! I've been doing RC's and journaling every day for a month now. I'm fairly confident I had my first LD. I did a RC of putting my finger through my palm and it didn't work, but I tried again and through it went! It then hit me that I was dreaming. It was like everything came into focus.... almost. It lasted for about 15min and I did cool things, but mostly I walked around and noted all of the detail. I felt wind, I tasted food, I felt a little pain when I pinched myself, I smelled things. I tried to fly, but I quickly realized I had very little dream control.

So this post is both to say:

Woo! I'm so excited!

and

Can I get "more" lucid? It felt like I was constantly falling out of it and fading to black. A few spinning techniques helped some, but not much. I also, in remembering it, almost feel like it could have been even more lucid. It's still a little bit fuzzy as compared to remembering something that actually happened.

ThePurple

Re: First Lucid Dream!

Postby ThePurple » 28 Apr 2016 21:27

I second your "Woo!"

That's actually super impressive for a first lucid dream. You've obviously done your research, so I'm not sure what advice I could give that you haven't already heard. Experience and confidence in your own abilities should reduce falling into the black void or feeling unable to control. There are tricks to get around mental blocks, but they all come back to making yourself believe it will happen. (Also consider allowing the dream to show you how it's done. Sometimes unexpected solutions arise when I wonder how to do something. Then again, sometimes I wake up. :p)

As for memory, I often have a similar experience, where at the time I am in awe of how crisp and beautiful everything is, but in recollection it is a bit softer. For me, though, this seems comparable to memories from waking life; even powerfully gorgeous moments cannot be relived in all their glory. But that's me, with all my known memory issues, and I don't want to suggest that it's impossible.

I wonder if some change in your journaling style could help, though. Perhaps this is not the case for you, but many people thoroughly record the trivialities of plot, but neglect experiential details. If you shift the focus that way, to describing the textures and tastes, the quality of light and precise hue of colour, the way it made you feel, perhaps this will train your brain to regard such things as more important and worthy of retaining. (Hmm... Yes, I think I'll work on that myself!)

Anyways, welcome to the club!

ThePurple

Re: First Lucid Dream!

Postby ThePurple » 29 Apr 2016 19:44

I'm rethinking my previous post a bit. I probably should have just stopped typing a third of the way through, but I didn't, so would like to amend my thoughts on memory.

This morning when I worked my lucidity up and got it to that quality that leaves me just saying "whooooa," I noted that it wasn't in fact hyper-real but just fascinatingly real-real. I wonder if this amazement at the detail we are able to create within our minds may make us believe it was something beyond normal experience, which only leads to disappointment when we try to recal it as such. I don't feel the memory of this is particularly faded from the original experience, but there are certainly holes. Not because they disappeared, but because they were never filled in the first place. I may assume there was a counter in the bathroom but I can't tell you what it looked like because I never looked at it directly. Put another way, if it is not observed, it does not exist.

...but maybe I've gone even more off topic.

You were talking about heightening lucidity in the moment as well. What I said to focus on in journaling I should've instead emphasized attending to at the time. You're already noting details, so the next step is to deepen them. It's not enough to rub your hands together and feel that they exist, keep rubbing until you feel the contours, the smooth and rough parts, whether you have moist warm palms or cool fingertips, and hear what it sounds like. You may eat a grilled cheese and say, yeah, tastes like a grilled cheese, but slow down and note the salt and grease and crunch and stretch.

Return to “For Beginners”